The funny things kids say

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by clarnet73, Nov 16, 2006.

1. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Dec 11, 2006

Well, here's one, although it's not in a school setting....I have a 3 y/o daughter. One day a couple of weeks ago, we were at Wal-Mart going through the self checkout lane. She pushed the green button that advances the conveyor belt. I told her to stop pushing it so I could finish getting the groceries on the belt. She said, "Why, mama? This button makes money!!" She said that because the button is near where the bills come out after you get change! She likes to hand me my money, and when she said this, I just couldn't help but laugh!!

2. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2006

Oh how adorable! Don't we wish...

3. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

Fish read?

I was tutoring this little boy a couple of years ago in reading. We were reading a small book about a school of fish. I asked, "Johnny, do you know what a school of fish is?" He looked at me and said, "Yes, Ms. L., that's where fish go to learn to read." I couldn't hold it and I burst into laughter, then I explained what a school of fish really is.:)

4. Iluvkids

Iluvkids Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

I work with 2 year olds:

Since it's started getting darker earlier, many of my kids are still in my room when it's dark out. One little boy looked out the window and then looked at me and said "the sun go night night!"

We were playing with horses, those plastic ones with hair that you can brush. One little girl found hair that must have come out the the horse, I mean the entire mane....she looked at me while holding it up and with the most confused look on her face she said "where'd the horsie go?"

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 12, 2006

Today a five year old little girl held out her notebook to me and told me to "Call your mom." I did. When her mom came to pick her up she walked around pretending to call her dad. I was holding my phone so she started to talk to me on the phone. She handed me her phone and took my cell. I went to the work phone and called my phone. It was on vibrate. She ran over to me, "OHH! Its moving!"

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 12, 2006

I had a couple of kids inside playing a game yesterday because they didn't have snow clothes, while my co-teacher took the rest of the kids outside. Two of my boys were wearing Thomas the Tank Engine shirts. K. is the kind of kid that I think EVERYTHING goes in one ear and out the other, and D. is a little Spanish-speaking boy who also isn't usually too bright (his shirt was a hoodie). This was a good 3-4 minute conversation:

K: D, you have on Thomas!
    D: K, you have on Thomas, too!
    K: Yours is a jacket.
    D: Mine is not a jacket. Mine is a shirt.
    K: No, mine is a shirt. Yours is a jacket.
    D: It's not a jacket. It's a shirt!

It was TOO funny, as I tried to explain that just because it has a hood doesn't make it a jacket.

I have another little guy E., who has THE best smile with the cutest dimples. I can ALWAYS count on a VERY enthusiastic hug from him in the mornings when I get to school. One day last week, he was clinging on to me for most of te afternoon. Finally I said to him, "E, your friends are having lots of fun. Don't you want to go play?" He said, "No, I miss my mommy, so I'm hanging out with you."

7. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 13, 2006

My Intern received some new "cinnamon / vanilla" scented lotion this week and was wearing it the day after we read Jan Brett's Gingerbread Baby...

One my the kids went up to her, sniffed and said, "You smell like a Gingerbread Lady!"

:)

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

We've been talking about Hanukkah, so today I brought in dreidels... we dipped them in paint and spun them on dreidel cut-outs during art, but I had them out on the table this morning during free play. One of my little girls said, "This is fun! I want a dreidel for Christmas!!!"

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 14, 2006

On our DSQ sheet (Daily Science Questions - like POD) there was a question about size in relation to the age of a tree. The answer we were looking for was that size doesn't always tie in with age and that you have to use other factors. One of my outspoken country (very country) boys called out his answer, "Size doesn't matter." I thought the para who was working with me was going to swallow her tongue. We kept looking everywhere but at each other. He didn't have a clue, just kept on happily writing out his answer. I was waiting for a response from some of the kids. At 5th grade some are exposed to enough at home that they pick up on things, but none did. Of course this is the same class that had the little group of boys that started giggling when we talked about cleavage (minerals). When I asked them to tell everyone the joke so we could all laugh they all turned 15 shades of red/purple and started stammering. :D

10. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 22, 2006

On the 15th I subbed in a first grade class. One of the little girls asked me how old I was...I told the girl that I was 24. She then asked if I had children. When I said no. She responded "Oh, thats wierd. You should have some kids by now. Are you at least married?" Again, I told her no. She said, "Oh there must be something wrong with you then." I was so shocked I just looked at her and said "where did you get that idea from." She shrugged her shoulders and walked away.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2006

One of my students gave me $50. I asked her, why did you bring me so much money? She said very sadly, "because we were too loud yesturday" I, of course, gave the money to her mom that afternoon. But it was the thought that counted- and they were not even that loud!! . :)

One of my students commented how they liked my watch. Another student said me too. Then another said me three, then me four, me five, me six, me seven. Then a student who knows very little English goes, me hungry. I cracked up for several days.

Okay, it's time to make a list. "awwww" says one kid. I asked, "where did you learn to say awww" just for fun. He says, "from my doctor".

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 23, 2006

I was doing an activity with one of my pre-k's (4 yr old) and she was giving me questions a mile a minute while I was trying to get something ready.
    I said "Hold your, horses girl!"
    She looked at me really funny and then said "These my horses?" I laughed for a long time on that one.

13. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Dec 23, 2006

i was opening up christmas presents from my students this past week.

one of my students gave me a pin with the saying "#1 teacher". I said "oh "Jake" what a nice pin!"

"Jake" yelled across the room: "I got it for cheap at the goodwill store!" i just smiled and said how nice!

14. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 24, 2006

I teach first grade in a Catholic school ~ and one afternoon this December we were talking about how it's more important to give than receieve... So we talked about ways to share our things, like giving our clothes to St. Vincent de Paul, putting our left over coins from lunch money in the box for poor children ~ etc.

One little boy, who never sits on his bottom during carpet time, stood up on his knees and shot his hand in the hair. He exclaimed "Yea! I do this! Last Christmas I gave all my toys to Good Willie!"

Priceless. :love: :love:

15. forkids

forkids Cohort

Dec 24, 2006

I teach Pre-K and we hear some really cute things almost every day. Here are two:

Overheard: "Never lick a frog - you might get sick and die"

We were having English peas one day at lunch and a little boy didn't know what they were. He said,"These green bean balls are good!"

16. TLC Teacher

TLC Teacher Rookie

Dec 24, 2006

Rest time has been a time that i have come to dread in my classroom.. However the other day...

Me: Okay its time to get our mats out and take a rest
    Child C: *bursts out crying*
    Me: Honey whats wrong?
    Child C: I dont wanna take a nap
    Me: Why dont you wanna take a rest
    Child C: Because laying on my mat makes me sleepy

I just giggled to myself and thought duh... lol

17. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Dec 24, 2006

One of my four year olds has his birthday in January- he told me "Guess what Ms. Ann? When Jesus is done havin' his birthday, it's gonna be MY turn!"

I also had some first graders decide when I was pregnant with my first child that although I was awful big, I could only have ONE baby in there b/c I only had ONE husband- I about DIED!

18. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Dec 24, 2006

I love reading all these stories!

I was a sub before I started teaching. I was in a 4th grade class in a rather "snooty" school during red ribbon week. I was handing out ribbons and stickers for their shirts. One of the kids read the sticker, "Say no to Drugs." Another kid said, "Too late for my dad."