The first two weeks of school?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by pwhatley, Jun 7, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 7, 2013

I've been teaching 1st for the past 5 years, and I always spent the first two weeks (1) reviewing Kindergarten, (2) introducing, modeling, practicing, and reviewing rules & procedures, and (3) completing AIMSweb introductory testing (math). We don't do running records in reading, so I have to wait until we do our Fall DIBELS screening to get a real idea of where my kids are there (aside from anecdotal information derived during class, and their 2nd grade records).

What do you do during the first two weeks of school? I know that 3rd grade is expected to "dive in" to lesson work a lot sooner than 1st, so I can't wait to do "lesson 1" in our Storytown basals that long. (We don't have the materials to not use Storytown, so we're having to align them and make them work (or purchase the materials ourselves)).

Any suggestions would be great!

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 7, 2013

I have taught third grade for 5 years, and I have started out pretty much the same each year. They're old enough that they don't need AS MUCH drilling of routines. They catch on pretty quickly. On the first day, I try to stick to the schedule as much as possible and go over all routines as we get to them.

When they come in the morning, I introduce myself and go over a PowerPoint about third grade/my class, discuss rules, and we go through our supplies and put extras away (in cabinet).

Then we "start over" and I literally have them pack up their bookbags and we walk to the door of the classroom and practice how they are to enter the room, choose lunch, go to seat and what they do to get ready for morning work/etc. Whatever your particular procedures are for the morning.

After all this has been done, we do "dive in" to some content but in a fun way (read back-to-school poems, write a bit about what we did over the summer, etc. I only teach ELA and science). Again, I teach all the routines procedures as they come up, instead of spending big chunks of time at once on them. It's overkill anyway, and they remember it better in shorter chunks.

On the second day and from then on, we are in regular schedule mode but still take time to review procedures as needed until the class is running seamlessly.

We give pretests in reading (and math) at some point during the first week as well. I use the results to form my guided reading groups. Informally, I also have them read a 3rd grade level fluency passage to me to get a handle on how well they read, and this may change their guided reading grouping.

Welcome to third grade. You're going to love it!

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 7, 2013

Thank you so much, thirdgradebuzz - your post was very informative! It's sort of how I see my first week going also. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone else posts, just for comparison purposes.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2013

This will be my 8th year in 3rd grade (wow! didn't realize that until I typed it). I have always started the year with activities based on my first read aloud (Judy Moody). However, I'm currently designing a whole new curriculum for those 1st weeks to review/informally assess 2nd grade Common Core work in ELA and Math. The expectations for 3rd are now much higher because of the CC so I need to make sure the foundations are there.
    Welcome to 3rd. It's a great grade to teach!

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 8, 2013

iheartrecess - definitely post when you have the review/assessment unit completed - I'll more than likely be one of your first customers!