The first day of first grade

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Gatorgirl06, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Gatorgirl06

Gatorgirl06 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I am trying to figure out what my plan is for the 1st day of school for my 1st graders. It would be so helpful if any 1st grade teachers could share what they do on the first day to really make the year get started off right. Thanks for any advice! =)

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

These are not necessarily in order. Have kids find their desks. I have a coloring page for them to do (we have breakfast in the room, later they will do journals). Bathroom breaks (they seem to need a lot of these, especially at the beginning). Check/collect supplies. Go over rules/procedures. We will make start to make a chart of procedures. I discuss some when they come up. For example, discuss how to line up when it is time to line up. Read back to school type books. Show students different areas of room. Make first class book (kind of a getting to know you activity). Graphing activity-how we get to school, birthdays or boys/girls (I do one each day). The students aren't used to sitting and working for long periods, so we spend some time at desks, move around to carpet, etc. Plus, lunch, specials, recess (usually a little longer at the beginning, since they are still in summer mode). This is all I can think of off the top of my head.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

Oh, by the way, good luck in first grade!! It is great!!!

5. Gatorgirl06

Gatorgirl06 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Thank you! =)

6. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

Plan more that you think you will need and have lots of books ready to read. Our first day is a half day. I have a coloring sheet on their desk first thing. I also have a "name page" for later. It has their name on one handwriting line above two empty lines for them to practice copying their name. I keep this one to give them at the end of the year. We do this name page everyday. Starting with day 2 they will put their daily oral math and lang. on this page too. We take a "room" tour. I show them around the room. This does not take long. We do calendar activities and go over line up and bathroom procedures. We definitely go outside to play. Teach them your signal for coming inside BEFORE you send them out to play. I let them decorate a paper T-shirt to hang in the hall. (Look Who is Hanging Out in 1st Grade!) I also give them a red color page to begin a color word book that we will make that week. This may not be in exact order and it may sound easy BUT I start academics on the first full day and our new Reading curric. is very challenging so the pace will quicken immediately for us.

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I am also starting first grade this year. I have taught middle school in the past. I am not sure what my students are capable of doing on the first day. I figure after the first day it will be a little more ovious. That very first task is what is stumping me. Is it normal to give the students a coloring page first thing? I have been reading the Harry Wong book and it says to have a task waiting for them at their desk. What if I did a double sided page with very basic questions like name age, etc on the back. They can do one or both sides. Would this frustrate the kids who aren't able to do it? Any advice?

Sorry if I am jumping in on your post gatorgirl06. I hope you don't mind.

8. Gatorgirl06

Gatorgirl06 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

No, I don't mind at all. We are so lucky to have first grade! =)

9. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

The reason I do the coloring page is that our students are eating breakfast at that time, so I don't want to give them something that would be ruined if milk or cereal were spilled on it. Also, it is a very busy time with students coming in, parents with questions, etc, etc. Our kids come in at different times, you would have to explain directions several times. A lot of them would not be able to read enough to know what to do on a worksheet. They could probably do the worksheet, but would need it read to them. When we didn't have breakfast in the room, I liked to put a school themed or alphabet book on their desk. Some could read it, others could look through at the pictures. This worked well.

10. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

ok. That makes sense. Thanks Sara! and Thanks Gator for letting me jump into your post!

11. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 20, 2007

Thanks Sara! My kids will also eat breakfast in the classroom at the start of the day. Great idea!

12. liveitlikeit07

liveitlikeit07 Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

What ideas would you do on the first day for third graders? This is my first teacher job and I have ideas but I am open for more. If you have any ideas for third grade, please share.

13. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

On the first day in first grade I have a paper at the students seats for them to work on. Throughout the day we spend a lot of time going over rules, procedures and we do a scavenger hunt for a tour of the school. I read the Gingerbread Man Story by Jan Brett and then throughout the school I have placed clues and gingerbread men and we use this walking tour to go to the cafeteria, nurse, office, playgrounds, etc. We do getting to know you activties and I like to read the book Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. The day is very hectic but it flies by for me (at least it did last year).

14. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

I'm glad I could help! I'm not as familiar with third grade, but you could probably have them fill out a worksheet or write a paragraph about themselves. Then, later they could read them to the class to get to know each other. Maybe you could have them draw and write about a good rule for third grade or what they hope to learn?