The fighting must be stopped!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Dec 9, 2010

My kids are miserable and so am I. Just today three came up to me with tears in their eyes, saying that "so and so did/said this.." A girl was bawling by the end of the day yesterday. It has grown past just the "someone took my pencil" to more just plain mean things. I even had a teacher pull a student during the morning announcements (10 minutes into the school day) to talk to her about how unacceptable it was that that student called two other boys gay. I want to help the students own their situation so that they can start to do something about it. We have a "Community Circle" time when we sit on the floor to discuss what's going on in our lives. I tried starting off the Community Circle by reading Enemy Pie to them at the beginning of the year AND did Crumple Girl. It worked great til I released the conversation to the group. I think I must have an immature class; students eagerly raise their hands only to share completely unrelated and most often rude comments. About half the class laughs at the clowns, then the whole momentum I built up has been shot to ---- :|. I can't take any more of this! I have other teachers coming into my room all the time to apologize for either having to deliver the bad news that I have to write a discipline slip for yet another student or just express their condolences that I have the class I do for my first year. I know they are a good class, but lately all this bullying and jerky-ness has gotten in their way. :unsure:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2010

This may not help immediately, but I have done this in the past. I have made it a theme in my room to "Pass it Forward". Everyone has to strive to do anonymous good deeds and then to write down what they did and put it in the Good Deed jar. Every day I pulled a good deed or two from the jar and read it to the class. Even though it is supposed to be anonymous, usually the child whose deed is read puffs up with pride because they were recognized in a good way. Their good deeds need to be school wide, not just the classroom. The kids have fun thinking up good deeds to do and trying to get them put in the jar without anyone noticing. I have seen it really change behaviors in my class because they have to be conscious about good behavior.

4. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2010

Check out this website smartclassroommanagement.com

I have used it since the beginning of school. Read about classroom management, how to make the kids accountable for their behavior, how to deal with difficult situations. He also has a book out called "Dream Class". His approach to management is simple and makes so much sense. I LOVE it.

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2010

Here is a link,

http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/

I think it should take you straight there. Look at the links on the right side to read about a particular concern. His strategies are right on.