"The Fighting Ground" by Avi

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by teachertime, Sep 24, 2007.

1. teachertime

teachertime Companion

Sep 24, 2007

I attempted to read a novel with my 5th/6th graders that didn't turn out well. There was a scene in the book that was much too graphic for the students and we quit the book at the second chapter. Thank goodness we hadn't invested too much time on the book.

Now I'm considering the book The Fighting Ground by Avi. So far the book is good and it's about being a soldier (and a young teenager) in the Revolutionary War from the young teenager's point of view. Has anyone taught this novel? Any problems?

My student ratio is small. I have only 5 students across the two grades. The school is very small and the students don't know much about the beginning of our country. They only heard about some things like the Boston Tea Party and Paul Revere's Ride.

I teach Language Arts only, but I can incorporate a little bit of history to make it an interesting read for them.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Sincerely, teachertime

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 24, 2007

just curious...what was the book you abandoned?

4. teachertime

teachertime Companion

Sep 24, 2007

I started the book in class because someone recommended it to me. I'm a new teacher and thought ...cool, an indian story with a female protagonist...but after we had begun an anticipitory activity and read outloud chapter 1, I took it home and read it in its entirety (sp?) over the weekend. That's when I discovered this scene which automatically disqualified the book for my students. The questionable part occurs about half way in the novel...way after chapter 2. Once I discovered the scene, when I got to school the following Monday, I pulled the book from the "class read" shelf. thanks goodness the students hadn't taken my copies home. Anyway...to answer your question....

The book we abandoned was called The Sacrifice by Diane Matcheck. The story involved a young female indian who is on a questf to become the Great One. In the process she has a run-in with a grizzly bear. The scene was too graphic for this age group. The young indian girl after days of not eating starts following the bear. She overhears the bear kill an animal and she's so hungry she waits til the bear leaves and goes to take what is left over from the mauling. This is when it becomes too much. After she thrusts a knive into the animal, she discovers the animal is human. And it continues to get more vivid during the next few pages.

The book is good, just not appropriate for young readers (imo). Maybe high school, but not elementary. Thanks for asking.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 25, 2007

Wow, never heard of it, but now I'm curious, not for my students but for myself...