The fact that I've held several positions is becoming a problem with interviewers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2011

In the last 6 years of my teaching, I've held 5 different positions. I just keep getting pink slipped! That's just how it is when you get hired on as a temp teacher for two years and when they don't know what the budget will be like. But, I noticed it's becoming an issue with employers. I explain to them that I keep getting pink slip, but the one I interviewed with yesterday gave me a funny look!! :confused: If that answer won't satisfy the person who's interviewing me, then is there a better one? I'm not certain what else I can say.

Maybe he didn't know what pink slip meant?

3. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 20, 2011

Hopefully, he knew what pink slipped meant. I would try to reiterate that you getting laid off has nothing to do with performance, and had to do with the school's budget. Also, you might want to provide a reference to each position, so they can be rest assured it had to do with the budget and not performance.

I'm sure the other parts of your interview were great! :)

4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 20, 2011

I would show them your recommendations. I got axed, but I have one from my VP stating I did a great job under difficult circumstances.

5. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Sep 20, 2011

I'd be careful telling them you were pink slipped. It makes it sound like you were fired, not that your position was terminated due to budget cuts.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 20, 2011

It sounds like some of them might not know what pink-slipped means. If that's the case, they may even wonder why you are open about it. Refer to 'long-term, temporary positions' or something like that instead.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2011

I can see how this would worry you. I hope you're picking up letters of recommendation along the way as you go from job to job. My entire life, whether I was applying to colleges or for jobs, I've ALWAYS thrown in more letters of rec than the usual 3 letters that they always ask for. I've always had great results doing that. If they don't have time to read them, then fine, but at least they'll see how many great people think so highly of me. You have to stand out in some way in this competitive world. In your situation, hopefully doing this won't scare them off so much.

I agree. I would never use the term "pink slip" in my vocabulary. It has a negative stigma (even if it's NOT your fault). I'd put it on the past employers & say, "Regretfully, as much as they wanted me to continue & so did I, they couldn't afford to keep me on due to the budget." Then, like I said, don't be afraid to throw in twice as many letters of rec than what's asked.

8. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Sep 20, 2011

Don't use all of your background as a teacher, only use the most relevant or the jobs you stayed at the longest. Tell them your position was cut because of budget crisis.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 20, 2011

I agree with the others. I would use the term "budget cuts" rather than pink slip. The second does carry a negative stigma while the first is completely understandable in today's economy.

Also, get those letters of recommendation as Ms. I suggested so future employers can see former employers really did want to keep you on board, but couldn't.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2011

1) Thankfully I do have TONS of letters (from principals to coworkers to superintendents)

2) Teacher Girl- the only jobs I've held all my life were in the teaching field, so no luck there...

3) After he gave me the funny look, I explained that it's been difficult with budget cuts and changes in class sizes. I HOPE he got the point after I said that. My hubby this morning said the same thing though, don't just say pink slip. They WON'T get it. He said I need to explain EXACTLY what went on with each job. Job A and C were temp positions. Job D I quit because I moved here with hubby.... etc.

4) I honestly don't see why having taught various grades is an issue. I taught at only two different school districts.... It's just difficult out there right now for teachers.... One of the jobs was at the same school, I just moved grades due to decreased enrollment. Should I just write all of this down straight onto my resume??? Would that make it easier for the interviewers to see WHY I taught so many different grades???

5) I'm ready to start applying to non teaching jobs... I'm almost done with this whole teaching world....

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2011

Yes, this whole teaching world is frustrating! I'm glad I've switched fields to SLP. I don't have to work at schools at all. I could work at hospitals, etc. & come in contact w/ all kinds of different people (doctors, nurses, etc.) Not that they're roses to be w/ either! :mellow:

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 20, 2011

Maybe it was just that interviewer who had problems with you holding multiple positions. Most interviewers understand the climate now in education and are aware of the numerous budget cuts.

13. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Sep 20, 2011

How on earth could someone not know what a pink slip is, especially in this economy (and working in education)? I knew what that was when I was like 12 years old, and even back then I didn't think any less of a person that received one. I grew up in a town heavily employed by the airline industry, and whenever they had to lay workers off due to funding problems it was called pink slipping.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2011

It's a difficult economy. Those who are hiring should be aware that teachers are let go every year for budget reasons. If you have exemplary recommendations, you should confidently convey that you were highly successful but sadly fiscal cuts eliminated your positions.

Milsey..Your current job may help you acquire more recommendations. Good luck to you.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 20, 2011

Ok... to be pink slipped used to mean that you got the AX. He may have looked at you that way because he was thinking... Why would she tell me that??? Now, it has different meanings. I would be more specific.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2011

I agree. When I hear the term "pink slipped", I just think that it means "fired". I think you'd be better off being specific and saying that you were laid off due to budgetary reasons.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 20, 2011

The most important advice I got from my job counselor several years ago was: (a) keep your answers short and simple and (b) do NOT make a "big deal" out of a possible negative situation.

I wouldn't list full details about every job. Instead, I would combine them into a one or two sentence summary...something like "Two of the jobs were temporary positions. I left the third when my husband moved here."

It's concise and to the point and gives very valid reasons for leaving those positions.

18. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Sep 20, 2011

I was pink-slipped two years ago and it sometimes makes me nervous to tell people I was pink-slipped because to me the term implies I did something wrong. So to make it more clear I say what Caesar wrote, that I was let go because of the budget. If I have to go into more detail, I add that I was the teacher with the least experience in the special education department and it was before the district gave me tenure.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2011

Huh. I never thought that pink-slipped meant something bad that YOU did, just that they had to lay you off due to budget/money/decrease enrollment/etc reasons not related to your job performance.

Wow. Good to know then.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2011

Well, apparently it wasn't an issue. Even though he said he'll let me know on Friday what my status is (second interview or thanks but no thanks), he called today to say that he would like me to come in for a second interview. Ooh, gotta call back! Totally forgot!

So, maybe I just read more into his body language?? Either way, I'm actually now on the fence with this interview. One, he said he wants the person to start right away, which wouldn't give me much time to quit this job that I have now (I'm miserable there, and it's just a tutoring job, basically. I do no lesson planning, I can't go at my own pace, etc all they do is work from workbooks and I essentially babysit them. I'm miserable). Still, I would like to give a two week notice but this guy wants someone to start right away.

Also, I have a friend who works for the university who told me about a few positions I should apply for AND she knows people high up who she can talk to and drop my name.

And, now I'm terrified about taking any new jobs just to be let go at the end of the year. I want something more permanent now. I'm done. If I work for the university, this won't happen.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 21, 2011

Just as an FYI, people at a university can be let go because of budgets. My Dad works in HR at a mid-size university and they've let people go because of budgets. Usually because a grant ran out but you never know!

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 21, 2011

Nothing is for sure in this world even... tomorrow. Go for it! WOW them!

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2011

:) I just called the woman in charge of the department at the university. My friend told me to def. do this as it's all about who THEY know and that they KNOW your name. Also, she said to drop HOW I got her name and number (my friend made me do the research :D) so I included that in my message (she didn't answer, so I just left a message).

Oh, yes, I'm sure they let people go at university due to budget cuts too! My friend, though, said, if you are at least somewhat competent, then they will do EVERYTHING they can in their power to keep you (I guess they have a lot of people on staff who are not very competent in their job but can't get rid of them, like my friend, she has job security and can really be let go - like tenure).

I should have said, I want to be in a field where I feel safer, feel like I won't be let go every. single. year.

24. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Sep 25, 2011

I feel the same as you! I would like to know what it's like to have tenure and not be worried about not coming back next year despite how hard I try to do a good job.