the eraser war

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Mar 15, 2009

I feel like I am fighting a war over pencils and erasers this year.

:rolleyes:

My students use up the erasers on their pencils in no time literally like five minutes off a fresh pencil. The kids are always asking me for an eraser and it is driving me insane. Now they fight over pencils just for the erasers on them. I have tried assigning them each a big pink eraser with their names on them and they somehow lost them. I feel like the eraser cop! I told them and their parents that they need to buy an eraser of their own but thy are still coming to school without erasers or pencils for that matter.

It is so FRUSTRATING!

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 15, 2009

Not worth the fight. Buy some more pink erasers.

What about finding some that you can imprint with your own personalization on it, "Property of Mrs. Julie" or "Please return to Room 7" or whatever. Not sure where you would find this, but maybe the same place that sells personalized pencils?

4. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Mar 15, 2009

I agree, not worth the fight. Buy a box of pencil top erasers (50 for $1.25) and stop stressing!

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 15, 2009

I bought 300 hundred pencil top erasers and 700+ pencils at the the Staples One Cent Sale before school started.

I don't have any big pink erasers at all. If my kids run out of eraser, they get a new pencil or ask me for a pencil top eraser. The pencils that are without erasers still get sharpened and someone will use them or ask to a topper.

My advice is to buy in major bulk before school starts.

You can also send an email home asking for donations of erasers tops or pencils.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2009

Pencils, erasers and lined paper are battles I never fight. I stock up whenever I see them "dirt cheap".

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 15, 2009

What if you bought them each two more erasers, put their name on them, and when they lose them they can't erase anymore? They just have to cross everything out.

8. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

The dollar tree near me sells packs of 40 pencil top erasers - they actually work really well.

9. MissR

MissR Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

When they don't have an eraser I just say "Borrow from a neighbor!"

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 15, 2009

That's how I am with glue sticks, Miss R. I swear they eat them.

Those small glue sticks are ridiculous for little kids. One big project and they are gone.

11. MissR

MissR Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

Oh I know! I was so annoyed with the kids and their glue sticks until I used one and saw how fast they go (unless you are very careful, and what 6-yr-old is)! Someone needs to invent a roller glue stick... that doesn't glue itself stuck.

Oh, and I cut my big pink erasers in half or thirds...they lose them anyway, so might as well stretch what we've got!

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 15, 2009

You could get the huge pink erasers that about 6 by 2 inches...they have "for BIG mistakes" printed on the sides...those would be hard to lose.

13. goopp

goopp Devotee

Mar 16, 2009

I don't fight that battle either. I stocked up on pencils, notebook paper and pencil top erasers at the sales. I have paper and pencils out where the kids can get them on their own and I hand out at least 5 erasers every day. When they know that all they have to do is ask, they don't seem to abuse the system.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

Choose your battles, the kids know it drives you crazy and they're having a good time with it. Buy some erasers, write their names on them in ink and roll on.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2009

With the big pink erasers, what about allowing the kids themselves to personalize them?

16. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Mar 16, 2009

I give out one pencil every Monday and do not replace them (unless they show me a tiny pencil that is smaller than their pinky). It takes awhile but they learn not to lose it. I collect all pencils on the floor and put them in a spare bin that they know they can get one from there at any time.

I give out big erasers (themed ones from the dollar tree or the pink ones) every other month, they know if they lose it they are out of luck. I still have students who have their Halloween eraser.

17. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 16, 2009

I just have a problem with a few of my boys throwing erasers around and at each other.:eek:hmy:

18. cmw

cmw Groupie

Mar 16, 2009

This is a huge issue in our school too with our fifth grade!

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2009

I charge the kids for their cap erasers...lol...they are able to buy one for 2 classroom coins each. They earn their classroom coins whenever they earn a pawprint (schoolwide reward program). Cap erasers and bookmarks are the cheapest items in my classroom store. The store is only open once a week, but I'll sell them cap erasers anytime as long as I'm not in the middle of a lesson. I think it tends to keep them responsible with the erasers :) (I also sell pencils for 5 coins...lol).

20. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 17, 2009

My kids break those pencil top erasers into tiny little pieces after they're broken on the pencil and I find the nasty little pieces all inside their desks. Ugh.

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 18, 2009

Basam I want your kids, I have kids that can be sitting in their chair, not get up and still lose their pencils and eraser caps. I send home notes and hope some of them bring some in.

22. TeachingFellow

TeachingFellow Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

I break the pink erasers in half. My boys (I only have boys this year in first!) chew or break up the erasers on pencils in a matter of minutes, too. They never chew or break up the pink erasers. So, I've learned that it's better to invest in the big pink erasers then trying replace the pencils all the time. I don't like the pencil top erasers because with first grade boys, they tend to simply lose the top or play with it. My boys even argue over which table has the most erasers. Why erasers are more prized than, say, glue sticks (which they also have at their tables), I'll never know! First grade boys don't always make sense!

23. jola

jola New Member

Mar 24, 2009

Do you have a reward system? I give my kids tickets (like you would use at a carnival) for on task behavior, etc. They have to "buy" pencils and erasers from me. If they don't have enough tickets to buy whatever they need, then I tell them they will have to borrow an eraser or some tickets from a friend. It doesn't really solve your problem, but makes them have to "earn" the stuff you are giving them anyway. I also put a list of items in my newsletter every week that I need from parents. I don't get much, but every little bit helps.