The End of the Line!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms. I, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2007

Well everyone, the end of the year is almost here! Is everyone getting excited now that we're starting to see the end of the tunnel? Do you have an end of the year party for your students? If so, what do you do? What do you plan to do this summer?

I've got 40 days left of school. I want to do something fun, pizza or something for my students, especially since I won't be returning to my school next year. Then, I'm going to sub & maybe get a part time job. I'll also be looking into possibly working on my second Master's degree or a doctoral program. At the end of the summer, I'm going to Hawaii for the second time.

3. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Apr 22, 2007

It's nowhere near the end of the school year here (we use the calendar year and finish on December 21) but our team of six classes always do the following in the last few weeks:
    1. Grade 6 (final primary year) go to Canberra for 4 days - it's 700km each way by bus, so a big deal.
    2. Grade 6 graduation: kids make PowerPoint presentations and oral presentations on their classmates.
    3. High school transition: there are a few days where our kids head to the high school for sports/activity days. For some we attend as well, others are high school teachers only.
    4. Pool "party" - all of us head to the pool for most of the day. We walk down and the kids pretty much have a free day. We organise games of cricket and the like for those who are into it.
    5. Class parties - each grade does their own thing. I run a "Chooseday" on the last Tuesday - the kids are put into 5 groups with each group responsible for the program for their hour - games, plays, dance, whatever. They choose and run it, under my supervision.
    6. Sometimes we do some Christmas stuff (like a Kris Kringle at the least) - that won't help you in May though!

That's all that comes to mind for now. It's a good idea to have some personal plans to look forward to, but it sounds like you have that well in hand!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 24, 2007

Well, you do have quite a ways to go! Speaking of pool parties, I attended a private school my entire elementary level years & at the end of every year, I remember, we'd always have a pool party at the home of one of my classmates. It was there where the class would present our teacher a gift as well. It was such fun. Oh, the good ol' days!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 24, 2007

I have awards parties at the end of the year (2 for AR - 1 for points {Make Your Own Sundae} and 1 for percent correct {Nacho Party}), my class will probably win top AR for the year, we are 1000+ points over all the others, which will mean a pizza party. Also, if they don't fill their Ain't Jar, they get a popcorn/movie party. I had planned on an end of the year party, but Awards Day is the very last day of school which is when we usually have the party. It's going to be a crazy day anyway so I'm going to have to see how creative I can be for the party. The end of the year party always includes a slide show of all the pictures I've taken throughout the year, classroom awards (everyone gets one), and just having fun.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2007

We've still got until the first of June. We don't' plan any parties and try to keep the kids on task for as long as possible. We do, however, plan a few fun activities along the way. We're taking a couple of field trips, having a field day, and having a kickball tournament.

As for summer, I'm not planning much. Sometimes we take a short trip, but not any place too far away.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 24, 2007

I just found Survivor Science on sciencespot.net and I am doing that next week. It's a unit of science all based on Survivor. It looks like a lot of fun!!

8. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 24, 2007

We have an end of the year party and a picnic day. Picnic day is for the whole school....For 2-3 hours the kids can play outside...Each grade gets a designated area....Last year we didn't get to have it outside because it rained, but the kids got to run around the gym and play for 30-45 minutes. Not sure if we're doing individual class parties this year or a big grade level. I teach 5th grade so it's their last year at the elementary school. Last year some parents got together and did a BIG grade level party in the cafeteria for the last hour or 2 of school one day. They had all kinds of food and ice cream. Then of course, they had graduation with cake and punch with parents on the last day of school.

9. SenoritaL

SenoritaL Rookie

Apr 24, 2007

ChristyF,

What's an "aint jar"?

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 24, 2007

I have 25 students, but I never see them all at the same time. 3-5 are pulled out of their general ed classroom to see me at their designated time.

I want to give them pizza or something at the end of the year. I think it would be nice, especially since most of my kids are moving onto the middle school next year.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 28, 2007

I have told my students they can earn a party on the last day of school. They earn points for good behavior (as a class) and lose points for problem behavior such as talking a lot, not lining up properly the first time, goofing off rather than getting ready for the next class etc. The goal is 400 points or more on May 23.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 28, 2007

We have a kindergarten, and eighth grade graduation, music program,and awards ceremony (all at once) the first week in June. We don't get out until June 15th. But the music teacher is going away on vacation. Isn't that nice so we have to do it early.
    I think I would like to do a picnic or something for them that last week of school. A pizza party would be fun, but the pizza store is 20 miles away! I have also heard the last month of school we can't go outside because the black flies are so thick. I'm not looking forward to that at all!

13. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Apr 28, 2007

Jaime Marie, half the fun of a pizza party could be making them - have a range of toppings with muffin bases; then you just need a parent or aide to take them to be cooked (we use the staffroom oven) and voila, cheaper, individualised pizzas! I would suggest it be an inside pizza party too. :)

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 1, 2007

My kids are earning party points toward a party on the last day of the school year. If they make it I think we'll do and ice cream sunday party where they can add their own toppings.

15. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

May 1, 2007

I teach Kinder and we have a beach day. We turn our playground into the beach with lots of water and sand activities. Then, that afternoon, we have a big sundae party! Then I go home and have a cool glass of iced tea and take a nap!