The effect of the Jos riots on our school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Silmarienne, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Dec 19, 2008

On Nov. 29, the day after American Thanksgiving day, riots erupted in the city of Jos, Nigeria the day after a disputed local government election. The results had not even been announced. Young men had been recruited over the last few weeks from other northern (Islamic) states and sent to Jos a few at a time for the purpose of "defending Islam"-- actually to enact a vendetta against an area radical Muslims have targeted because they knew they would not win the election, being vastly outnumbered in the area by the indigenes, who are nominally Christian.

At least a thousand people were killed, mostly by machete or burning. Thousands more are homeless. Many of our students were evacuated; most were in lockdown mode; some lost friends.

Needless to say, we did not have school that day, in fact we did not resume until December 13. Teachers met the day before to discuss how we could minister to traumatized children and yet help them to get back to normal and finish the semester.

The day we resumed, there was an alert sent out because cars were leaving the downtown area in great numbers all of a sudden. We had a lockdown for a while. As it turned out, someone had knocked down a bee's nest; people started running from the bees, panic ensued. No one was hurt. But that shows how tense people were.

In our classroom, we were having choice time when there were some loud banging noises. The TA and I exchanged a look, and I quietly went outside to investigate. It was nothing but some guys throwing things in the back of a pickup truck. It scared the crud out of the TA.

Some of my students heard killing outside their homes. Most saw burning and all heard gunfire. I teach Kindergarten, so I think they got over it the quickest. I think they were all eager to go back to school, be with friends, do normal things. So was I. The same thing happened in 2001 and the school was closed for 40 days that year. That really does a number on struggling students and puts a lot of pressure on everyone.

Be thankful if you live in a place that never experiences things like this.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2008

Oh, dear. My heart goes out to you and to your students, Silmarienne.

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 19, 2008

Wow, I have no words. God Bless you.

5. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

It is stories like yours that helps all of us living in *much* easier circumstances take stock of all our blessings. Many prayers for you, your students and all their families. What a devastating thing to have to live through. May the peace of the Christmas season infect those around you. God Bless.

6. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

I just don't understand people and their thinking that they get to play God. My heart goes out to all and you are in my prayers.

7. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Dec 22, 2008

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. We have closed for Christmas break now and things remain quiet, thank God. Be very thankful for peace!!

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 22, 2008

I will say a special Christmas prayer for you, your family, and your students. My heart goes out to you.

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2008

I am sorry that you and your students have to experience such horrible ordeal. I will remember you in my prayers

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 22, 2008

I hope things stay peaceful