the "easiest teacher ever"...?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brit2187, Aug 25, 2011.

1. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

So, more than once in my short teaching career (this is only my second year), I have had a student tell me something along the lines of: "I love your class so much! It's so much fun! You are, like, the easiest teacher ever." or "Your class is so fun and easy. I look forward to it every day."

I am a fifth grade Reading teacher and, while I would like to take these comments as compliments, I am certain that I don't want to be known as the "easiest teacher ever". I want to challenge the students!

I know I am teaching concepts that are new to them and we are doing work every single day, be it in small groups, hands-on activities, independent study, guided discussion, etc. I am up on my feet all day, I never take a seat, and the students are constantly asking questions and debating issues.

I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that perhaps students are confusing "easy" with helpful or interesting. What do you think? Is this a compliment? A miscommunication?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 25, 2011

When I have students tell me I am an easy teacher, I take it to mean that I have done my job well, and explained things nicely. If I was "hard", maybe I didn't do a good job teaching concepts.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 25, 2011

Personally, I'd take it as a compliment. At this age, it means that you are making the material relevant and are teaching it well. It sounds like the students are engaged and they are learning. You are making it accessible - awesome!!

After the first round of report cards in my teaching career I had a parent comment that their child had never done so well before. At first I panicked - maybe I hadn't assessed or graded properly. Then I realized it was because of my teaching - their child was behaving and learning.

I'd say it's a good thing!

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 25, 2011

Great minds, MissS!

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 25, 2011

Look at that! I guess we posted at the same time!

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 25, 2011

LOL... I have received that compliment and even this week, and I know by my standards, I am NOT an "easy teacher". I often teach my students above grade level and challenge them a great deal. However, the methodologies I use are varied and the kids generally enjoy them. This week, for example, I have utilized groups when the kids learned how to play Yahtzee (and well!), partnerships when the students learned how to turn to a partner and discuss in reading mini-lessons, themselves when they drew procedure how-to sheets, their creativity for Reader's Theater from Storyworks about surviving Hurricane Katrina, and groups for a few science experiments. I am trying to teach them in many ways that learning is, indeed, fun.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 25, 2011

I look at it exactly the same way. I want my students to feel challenged, but I don't want them to think my expectations are impossible to meet.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 25, 2011

I also tell the kids, it wouldn't be easy if you didn't know what you are doing.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2011

Exactly. For two years I was the math resource teacher. I worked with the very low kids. Many of my kids started off below grade level or very very below in math. By the end they were either on or above. I would also get comments such as yours. I KNOW darn well that we worked very hard, but because I took the time to reteach, use hands on manipulatives, scaffold, etc. that they were able to grasp the info a lot faster than they could in their class. :)
    Take it as a compliment!! :)