The Dumbest Generation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2008

2. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 13, 2008

I am not about to bash this generation. Things are just different now and 20 years ago parents said the same thing, and we'll be saying the same thing 20 years from now.

What I will say is that I think people's social interactions and face to face communications have suffered because of email and text messages.

3. SSA

SSA Companion

Jun 13, 2008

...Or maybe the quality of the applicant pool has gotten better?

I think there is a bit of improvement in student achievement on some standardized tests, but I don't buy into the implication that merely teaching kids how to take a test improves performance much.

I remember looking at a GRE prep book by a notable test prep group and they pretty well noted that familiarizing yourself with the exam took only a couple hours, but that reviewing the vocabulary and math concepts is the bulk of your preparation. If even the people whom have an interest to tell you otherwise admit that most test preparation is a focused review of the material then I am skeptical that merely teaching kids how to take an exam helps much.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2008

I have found that teaching the kids how to take a test does improve their grades by 5% to 10%

I think there was research on it I just can't find it now . Here are some tips
    http://chemistry.about.com/od/homeworkhelp/a/howtaketest.htm

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2008

Teaching kids (or anyone else) how to take a test is, or should be, mostly teaching them that thinking tools that are useful on tests are realllllly useful in classwork or in Real Life, and then acquainting them with some refinements on mental tools they've already got that they happen not to have applied to tests.