The Dropping-Off Surprise Interview...Had one?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Jul 20, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

So tomorrow morning...and maybe Wednesday Morning... I'm taking off and dropping off packets at a few schools. And I'm wondering about those who HAVE met with more than the secretary.

What did you say to the principal?

If they asked you into their office... how much did they ask you?

Not a FULL interview i assume (was it?), but how much?

(Got to say I have REAL butterflies tonight alREADY!)

3. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 20, 2009

I dropped off two resume packets today. One was with the secretary and the other with the principal. She was very nice when she introduced herself and took my packet, but they had already filled the position I was there about. So, no interview but she did tell me they had a parapro position that she was about to start interviewing for and asked if I was interested. I did decline. Take a big breath and just walk in!! Good luck tomorrow!!

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

I think it's a wise decision to walk in and be prepared for a possible on-the-spot interview. Why not? It happens. You might walk in at the right time so I say good for you!

5. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Sorry to ride in on your post, McKenna, but what do you wear to drop off resume packets? I'm thinking a nice short sleeve blouse or sweater and pants? Also for the resume packets...do you put those in a folder or just staple everything together??

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Ok... funny you should ask. I was thinking about what to wear...and had to go out and get something. My interview suit (which I didn't want to wear a suit) is definitely more a winter outfit. I wanted something lighter looking.

Well, I'm not model thin or even shapely so my choices are much more limited. But I found a nice colorful paisley top in blues and blacks and I am going to put it with white pants. Lighter looking but not TOO casual. White ballet-style summer shoes...and though I need a hair cut, I'm hoping that just setting it will do.

As for the packets...That I am working on tonight. I am going to go with a structure that I sent to some principals who requested larger packets before.

I find these laminated folders at Office Depot (First saw them at Kinko's -but they were too expensive.) They have a clear pocket that shows through to the front. In that pocket, I put my cover letter so it's facing out and greets the person picking up the folder. Inside I place my resume, my letters of reference, and my teaching brochure. (Previously, if it were requested in advance, I would also include my transcripts.) I am thinking I MIGHT also include a few color copies of the more picturesques pages of my portfolio. I think they are worth sharing.

Will it help? I don't know....but sitting here isn't helping me either.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

I don't know if this helps, but I am certain if my P was in his office and not really busy, he would probably meet with you whether there were openings or not. He is just a really nice guy. I've gotta believe there are other P's out there that would do the same. I would prepare and dress like as if you would be meeting and speaking with the P :)

Good Luck McKenna :)

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009

I never did this so I can't give any personal feedback, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

9. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

Thanks, McKenna! That was very helpful. Your outfit sounds nice and I have something similar in my wardrobe so that's what I'll wear. : )

I bought some black folder type things for my resume packet for when I interview. I like to bring that in because it does seem professional when I'm holding it in my hand with my suit, etc.. The last P seemed to be impressed and actually looked at my material while I was telling them about myself...well now that I think of it she was looking at as soon as I handed it to her. AND she even passed around the papers to the two AP's with her.

I do like the idea of the clear folder, though, for the drop off. I really don't like stapling all of my things together, although I have done that before.

Good luck! Hopefully there will be some vacancies posted today and I can hand out my packets tomorrow.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2009

I did this and got a job once! I was desperate (it was August and I was going on vacation for a week) and I knew a school had an opening about an hour away. I took my packet and my portfolio with me. The P happened to be doing interviews and in between them, he took me in his office and gave me a full interview. It was for a maternity leave (full year) as the other position had been filled. He made me fill out an application before I left and told me to strongly think about if I'd consider a maternity leave. He called the next morning to offer me the job!

I'm sure I pissed off those who were already candidates, but it was an amazing first year of teaching. So go in and be confident...you never know what can happen! :D

11. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I just wore a nice short sleeve blouse and black pants. There was someone in front of me dropping off their information and they had on a tan colored outfit. The top had a flowery design.

I put my information into one of those heavy type folders that have the clip on the side that you just slide open and closed to hold the papers. The front is clear too so that they can see my resume right away. They look really nice and I have gotten great comments about the folder. The person in front of me just had their resume that they were passing out.
    McKenna,
    I think your outfit sounds nice too.

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

Update...

Due to printing problems... the drop-bys will have to be put off one day.

The jitters continue.

I know once I do ONE...that the rest will be fine. I have about 6planned - if I get to them all. They are quite spread out. Depending on how the pants look, I might change pants after a drop-by (for driving-in jeans) so that I don't look TOO wrinkled for the next place.

13. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Good luck!

And printing problems - UGH! My printer keeps being stupid and not connecting to the network. I've been trying to print an application for two days and each time I have to reconnect my printer.

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

Are these drop offs to schools with vacancies? Good luck tomorrow with the drop offs!

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

Yes...with vacancies.

1-doesn't ask for drop off...but I'm going to try anyway

1-wants a cover letter and resume faxed in...too bad, they're about to meet me!

1- is an opening at a parochial school

2- are also parchial school ..but the job is going back to my FIRST certification (music) rather than elementary

The last I have decided not to go for...it was a stretch. I have taught Keyboarding and Computer Applications (4-8) for three summers...and this job was for a computer teacher. Though it would be interesting...it would take me down an avenue that I don't think I want to stray off to.

I'll let you know how they go!

16. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 21, 2009

Good luck tomorrow!!

17. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

I did a couple drop-ins and got an interview but no job offer though. Good luck!

18. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

In HISD? I am in Houston too and have thought about this.

19. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

I did!!!

Well, almost did anyway. This past year I decided to enter teaching and forgo law school. I had been substitute teaching in my county and had become fairly popular. I applied for numerous jobs throughout the country (mostly at high end boarding schools), and after a phone interview was offered a position in Chicago.

I was telling a teacher that I substitute taught for on a multitude of occasions that I had found a job and was leaving. This teacher spoke to her relative at another school (I had only subbed there once or twice). This relative, in turn, spoke to the principle about me. When I arrived one morning to sub at the school I was called into the office by the principle. He spoke to me, and asked if I wanted to stay in the area, if I would be willing to, etc. After that he said, and I quote, "I do not want you to leave for the east coast without me giving you a job offer." There were no job openings, he simply created one for me. Needless to say, I took the position, and traded a wealthy private school for a rural underprivileged school. I would not have it any other way.

That summer while in Boston I received a phone call from a school down the road from the one I took the position at. I had not applied to the school, but was told they were interviewing for a 5/6 combo. If I wanted it, it was mine. This year, there is no way that I could have found three jobs as a first year teacher. Thank God I started last year!

20. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

I got my second teaching job after I was dropping off my resume and they happened to have the full committee interviewing. I did the whole interview and wound up getting the job. Good luck!