"The dark days are coming."

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, May 1, 2010.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 1, 2010

That is what my principal has told us several times this year regarding budget cuts. Do you think things will get even more difficult before they get better? I can't imagine even more cuts.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 1, 2010

Yes ours is getting worse and not better.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 1, 2010

Ours is getting better... things never got nearly as bad here as they did south of the border. Things still aren't looking great, but they're improving.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 1, 2010

I don't know how it could get much worse! I wish I could find the article-but a I just read about a district in Florida that had to either take 1/2 their salary for the next school year or not have a job. I can't even imagine trying to make that decision.

Our district so far has been ok (knock on wood). There have been some changes (higher lunch prices, cuts to cafeteria staff, change in insurance, cut number of admins above P's-if you can believe it), but nothing unbearable-in my opinion.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 1, 2010

We were very sure our Pre-K would be cut but it's safe as is our SPED program. We are facing the loss of one teaching position but we are all doing what we can to contact our legislature and ask for help. We are a very small staff but one lost position is still scary. I wish we could fast forward time. I would give up my summer break to go right to the fall and know everyone still has their job. I hate this waiting game.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 1, 2010

I sure hope not, but I just don't know. I just keep waiting for things to get better, and that's not happening.

8. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 1, 2010

We're about to lose gym, art, and music for grades K-5. If/when that happens our days will be shorter too.
    Ugh.

9. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

May 1, 2010

We will be worse off. Negotiations are still in process, but we'll be facing a cut of some sort--likely furlough days and possibly insurance too. My classroom supply budget is being cut to $50 for the school year.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 1, 2010

All is still fine in my district as well as hubby's.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 1, 2010

This coming year is not predicted to be so bad for us. The year after, however is supposed to be a nightmare because the federal stimulus money will have run out.

12. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

May 1, 2010

Our district is fine also. Next year may be a different story, but I doubt there will be any cuts. Instead, they may fail to replace some positions that open up due to retirement and people quitting, reorganize some schools, and transfer staff.

13. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

May 1, 2010

I'm actually surprised there are some districts out there that are "fine". MsMar and Schoolteacher- you haven't had any budget cuts or anything?

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 1, 2010

Nope, no budget cuts at this time. Maybe something will happen before the year ends, but as of now there are no issues that are being discussed publicly anyway. So unless something is happening totally behind closed doors, there are no issues. And as far as my department budget we're fine too. I check with my department head regularly as I spend money weekly for foods labs and she has continually assured me all is fine and we don't need to cut back on the number of labs we do.

15. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

May 1, 2010

Wow! Its too bad it couldn't be like that everywhere! I'll have to come work in your district!

16. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

May 1, 2010

Not as much money for classroom supplies this next year; a modified summer school with no meals, no transportation, and put on by AmeriCorp volunteers with only about 10 teachers on staff; changes in insurance; and our district closed a school...if it gets much worse, it'll be real bad!

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 1, 2010

They (the Board of Ed. and Superintendent) just told us the same thing. I'm very nervous about my job for 2011-2012! Maybe I should try to not think that far ahead, though?! :(

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 2, 2010

So far, there's been a lot of noise but I'm not seeing overwhelming problems. Less money due to furlough days will continue next year, but predicted to be about the same as this year. Less budget money, but we can get by. No new textbooks, but the ones we have now are fine. Right now, the district (17 elementary, 5 middle, and 4 high schools) is only going to lose five teaching positions. But everyone who wanted a job still has one. And they have four openings for elementary teachers and around 10 for special ed.

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 2, 2010

Sure thing! Although you'd have to be willing to work in a semi-urban district and be willing to sub first if you're elementary because apparently almost all our elementary hires come from the sub list. Oh, and starting salary is the second lowest out of the 40 or so surrounding districts. But we have amazingly supportive administration and let me tell you, that outweighs a lot!

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 2, 2010

There was an article in the local newspaper today about the job fair at the district where I used to work years ago. This is just one local district that plans to hire 300-400 new teachers before the start of the school year! I'm wondering when the economy is going to get bad here, but it isn't yet. I think it's cause it was such a poor area to begin with, and we have a huge influx of natural gas industry related stuff (and money to property owners...)

21. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

May 2, 2010

So far, we have no staff cuts but could depending on enrollment. No cut in pay or furlough days.
    We will have changes in our insurance. We will be getting some RTTT money but I am dreading the changes that go with that.
    There seems to be money for tecnology and furniture based on the boxes sitting in the hall. Meanwhile, have been waiting since Oct for my promised Smartboard... maybe next year.

22. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 2, 2010

Things are bad here... I was thinking about moving to a different position, but thinking about staying put since I am tenured.

23. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

not bad here. (knock on wood) if you have a job. I worked at a job fair last month and of course tons of people....

swansong, how is the stimulus money supposed to impact??? They didn't pay people out of the money, did they? Our district bought technology and staff development because they knew they couldn't hire or keep teachers based on stimulus money. Because what would come when stimulus money went away.

24. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

May 2, 2010

We just negotiated a new 3 year contract in which we get two 3% raises, along with our step increases. We don't have to pay additional costs for our health plan. The next contract may change that.

We are are still riding on federal stimulus funds. It would be hard to cut teachers, because our class sizes are already quite high (this is an urban area).