The Daily Five by "The Two Sisters"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tupelo, Jan 28, 2009.

1. tupelo

tupelo New Member

Jan 28, 2009

I was wondering if anyone uses this program in their class or school. Any thoughts or feedback? Our school is looking at implementing the program from k-6.
    Thanks.

3. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Jan 28, 2009

I haven't implemented it fully yet, but I have implemented a couple of parts of it. Also, many districts around us are doing it K-5. So far, the parts I am using, I LOVE. I really like that it gives the kids responsibility for their own learning, encourages independence, and builds their literacy skills through authentic practice, rather than busy work. Everything I have read says the same thing: Kids learn to read by reading. They read, read, read in the Daily 5 and I haven't ever heard someone who is using it have anything bad to say about it.

The following board on Proteacher is completely devoted to Daily 5, so you may find more specific questions, answers, ideas, and topics of discussion there:
    http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Good luck - hope this was somewhat helpful!

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2009

I've read the book but haven't implemented it. I think it sounds great and I'm going to suggest it as the next title for our school's professional book discussion book.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jan 28, 2009

I'm going to copy from a previous post I have made on the subject. This is from last year:

I *love* the Daily 5. I was seriously just burned out by centers. To tell the truth, I never really liked them, but it seemed like that was what everyone else was doing. Ultimately, I tried using centers in my classroom, was frustrated and dropped them.

This year, we did the Daily 5 as a book study and our 1,2 and 3 grade teachers (small school, 1 teacher/grade) have all successfully taught the Daily 5 to our students.

The Daily 5 teaches both skills and expectations/behavior for each skill. There are many lessons at the beginning of the year in which you show the right/wrong way for a skill. You also come up with an expectation list for students and teachers for each activity. It comes down to this: the kids have a specific set of expectations for each of the 5 activities that are NOT dependent on the teacher (so the teacher is free to conference or pull reading groups).

If students are off-task, you do not walk over and correct them. You bring the entire class back as a group and re-teach the skills needed. It was a loooooong process for my class at the beginning of the year. I think in the book, they started letting kids choose their own order in October. My students didn't start choosing until after winter break. If you are truly building students that can work on these skills on their own without being off-task, it requires diligence, but IT IS WORTH IT!

My students are now on-task for long amounts of time. Recently, I had to do our DRA testing, and they spent 90 minutes on-task traveling between their different jobs. It was WONDERFUL.

This year, I have a group of first and second graders. They ADORE the Daily 5... it is their favorite part of the day. I'm using strategy groups and the CAFE menu as well this year and can see amazing gains in my kiddos. Best of all, they truly have a passion for reading. They are tackling words they didn't think were possible. They talk about the strategies they used with a word and connections they make to the text. I love our sharing time at the end of each day. They look forward to sharing what they have learned!