The Daily Commute - Where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs. Rader, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Mrs. Rader

Mrs. Rader Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

When searching for jobs, one of the main things we all consider is location. We search our home district and surrounding districts for openings. We also seek out positions that are ideal and would justify relocating for the job.

This varies from person to person I am sure, but where do you draw the line? How far are you willing to commute for a position? Why? What justifies a longer commute? How far is too far? Also, what key points help you make the decision to move when offered a job in a neighboring state?

3. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I just got hired for my job that is 35 miles away. It's a longer drive than I wanted but it's in an area I would love to teach in and bring my own children to as well. So we are going to be moving closer within this next year. I can't wait!

4. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 10, 2014

I hate driving and traffic, so I draw the line at 30 minutes (even that is too long for me, to be honest).

During student teaching I drove about 30 minutes in rush hour traffic and it was terrible. We could go about 50 mph and then all abruptly stop. With the snow I had to leave about 1-1.15 hrs ahead of time. This past year I drove about 20-25 minutes on country roads. I really enjoyed my commute because barely anyone was on the road with me (except the occasional deer!). With the snow it wasn't even bad, still left about 30 minutes before I needed to. This coming year I will drive about 15-20 minutes with mainly highway driving.

Some day I hope to have a 5-10 minute commute. Heck, I'd love to walk to school again!

However, if I can just cruise and jam out to good tunes...I'd be OK. It's the traffic and constant stopping that bothers me.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

It depends. 45-50 minutes without traffic is what I have now. I don't mind it. 20 minutes with heavy traffic would be too much for me.

I love my job so I'm willing to make the commute.

6. Mrs. Rader

Mrs. Rader Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I can relate to not liking heavy traffic. It's something I can't handle on a daily basis.

My commute is currently 25-30 minutes on country roads. Occasionally, this varies depending on traffic and weather.

My district is very small and serves my entire county, so I am looking at nearby areas. My commute could be anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 and a half hours to get to the nearby districts. Granted, it takes me 45 minutes to reach an area with a supermarket. :) I am accustomed to a long commute. I would love to relocate if an offer arises.

7. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I draw the line at 30 minutes. I have two small children and I need to have time to see them in the evenings. I also don't want to be waking them up TOO early and taking them to my mom's house. If I could not find a teaching position within 30 minutes, then I would sub locally. Thank goodness, I did find a job and it's a 20 minute drive. If I did not have kids, I would be willing to drive more but my kids need their mommy to be home as soon as possible.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 10, 2014

I've commuted up to an hour each way. My commute is less than five minutes now.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2014

In my area, I'd have to move due to winters.

I live in a rural area, and I'd have a hard time getting to work if I worked elsewhere. I even had to move when I did my student teaching, even though I'd have been maybe 30 minutes away. I couldn't have made it there on the snowy, rural roads, and the school where I worked never closed for snow.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 10, 2014

For me, I decided 30 minutes would be as far as I can drive. I thought of it like this. If I got a call from my daughters school I wouldn't want to be too far away to get her when she needs me. So the job I just got is 25 minutes away with traffic. So, I feel like I am about as far away as I want to be.

11. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

It depends on so much, do you own a house, or have a really good lease? Well then I'd be willing to drive a little more. Do you live in a great community? probably willing to drive a little further, do you have kids who don't really want to move? Are you married, and does your spouse have a job in the general area? All of those factors will cause you drive a little further, possibly an hour or longer.

But at the same time, if its some single person who is moving to a place they don't know anything about and everything is pretty equal I'm a fan of living as close to the school as possible. when I student taught I lived 3 minutes, from the school. I now live 3 minutes from the school I teach at. Its easy, don't have to worry about being late, if you forget something you just run home quick.

12. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

I wouldn't want to drive more than 45 mins. That's just my personal preference. I don't love driving and that would already be an hour and a half out of my day. If I couldn't find a job, maybe I would be willing to drive a little further, I'm not sure. In my current life scenario, I wouldn't move for a job, but in the past I have moved for jobs. To get my first teaching job, I would've moved pretty much anywhere in the two states I was applying in.

13. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I wouldn't want to commute more than 30 minutes. The past three years I've had a 10-15 minute commute, depending on the lights. That was great! Not too close, not too far. This year, I'll have a 25 minute drive, if I go straight there (normally I'll drop my son off at day care though). It seems really long to me right now, but I'll get used to it.

For me, traffic isn't really an issue, since I go to work earlier than most people.

14. Mrs. Rader

Mrs. Rader Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

It seems 30 minutes is everyone's comfort zone. I agree with that. I live in a very rural area and there are only 3 schools I qualify for within my local district. So, I constantly seek employment elsewhere. My area is also a pain in the winter and a long commute can be hazardous around the mountains. Everyone here commutes to work. There are too few jobs here.

My husband and I would be willing to relocate for the right position. It may even end up closer for his work, if we are lucky. :)

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2014

My commute is about 20 minutes if I get out the door before 7 in the morning. Work starts at 8 so I'm able to get my work done before the kids come in. After 7:00, rush hour gets in full swing and it can take about 40 minutes. In the afternoon, as long as I'm heading home right after the bell at 3, I get home by 3:30. I don't feel bad about leaving with the kids since I come in early every day.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2014

I drove 90 miles each way- 180 miles a day. It took about an hour and 15 minutes since over 80 of the miles were expressway. The miles on my car bothered me more than the time and the gas consumption.

My new job will be about 7 miles. I'm pretty excited! The money savings will be great!!

17. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 10, 2014

I take public transportation so ideally I want my commute to be under an hour. I would consider a longer commute if I was guaranteed a seat on the way there. My recent jobs have been a 30-45 minute commute. The next job I have lined up is about an hour commute but if all goes through I plan on moving closer cutting it down to no more than 30 mins.

18. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 10, 2014

My previous school was a 25 minute commute and I didn't mind it. I'm now at my neighborhood school and it's a 5 minute drive. Love it!

I wouldn't want to drive more than 30 minutes, as I have two small children and the 9 hours a day that I'm without them is long enough! I don't have the option to relocate for a job since my husband is in the military.

19. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I applied for schools within an hour commute of my home. The only jobs in that range I didn't consider were ones that were notorious for getting heavy snow. I recently got a job offer at a school that's just a touch over an hour from my house (in good weather with no traffic, and that's taking a toll road). I have two young kids and would see very little of them, not to mention how much of my salary would go into my car, gas, tolls, etc. Thankfully I was offered a job with a virtual school that keeps me at home! I'd be willing to go up to 35 or 40 minutes but really, no farther. Thankfully for me, there are tons of districts in that range. If there weren't, I'd consider going farther in that hopes that a year or two of experience under my belt would help me get a job at a closer district eventually.

20. live

live Companion

Jul 10, 2014

My commute is about 15 minutes. Honestly, I wouldn't want to live any closer to where I work. I like the separation.

I'd be willing to drive up to an hour for the right school.

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2014

I have mixed feelings about this. I used to have about a 20 minute drive. I know have about 5 minute, it will go up this year because I have to drop my daughter at a school across town. I loved my 20 minute commute because I had time to unwind from the day, or think about what was going to happen that day. Now I barely have time to listen to one song on the radio. So at the end of the day when I'm tired it's an awesome thing to get in my truck and I'm home within 5 minutes. Which do I like better? I don't know. Both have their ups and downs.

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

I left a 5 minute commute for an hour commute and could not be happier. I did not like the school that was 5 minutes away and I love where I am now so the commute does not bother me.

23. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 11, 2014

~45, including traffic, would probably be my limit. I'd only do that if it were a job that I really wanted and I was unable to move. I prefer to live as close to my job as possible. My dream would be to be able to walk.

24. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 11, 2014

It really depends. If it's a district I really want, I would probably commute up to an hour. Teaching positions are tough to get so I don't even think I would pass up a job opportunity even if it was over an hour away. It doesnt have to be where you stay your whole career but it's a start. Good luck!

25. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jul 11, 2014

I've walked, driven, taken public transportation (bus, train), and carpooled. The time has ranged from ten minutes to one hour. I like the freedom of driving but if I am spending two hours a day in bumper to bumper traffic then I have lost one hour of prep/home time. I prefer to commute during off hours - early in/early out or late in/late out. I love my job and the commute is a trade off.
    If you are far away then look into a carpool.

26. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 11, 2014

Having commuted 25 miles for another job in another profession, my current limit is probably 10 city miles (i.e. no freeway). If I got a job that required any freeway commute, I'd simply move there.

The biggest consideration to me, is quality of life. Here in LA, 3-7pm is traffic time on the freeways. So basically (as a teacher) anytime you choose to go home, you are sitting in traffic. That sitting wears on you. I remember (when I used to commute), I was half-falling asleep at the wheel. When I got home, I would lie down and nap. Basically, no energy to go to workout, do anything. That takes a toll on your home life.

OTOH (living close to home), I get off work, drive home a few miles... BTW, driving in your suburban town is MUCH less stressful than driving amongst inconsiderate ---holes on the freeway... and go about the rest of my personal day.

If I were to commute, I would feel like I had no away-from-school time.