The Daily 5

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsFrench, Mar 22, 2011.

1. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Mar 22, 2011

Can anyone who uses the Daily 5 give me a brief overview of how your reading time works with this program? I really want to change how I teach reading next year, and am thinking about going this way. Thanks for your input! :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2011

Basically, you start with a reading/writing mini lesson. Then the students choose which station they would like to work on. Students work on one station for a set amount of time while you work with groups of students. Then students regroup for another mini lesson. This process can repeat 3-5 times, depending how many rotations you want the students to complete.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Mar 22, 2011

Definitely get the book and it's component CAFE. I am a HUGE proponent of the Daily 5! I piloted it last year with a few other teachers and our whole building committed to it last year. It is exactly how mopar describes it. I am intermediate, so my students only get two choices a day and our "mini lessons" are not so mini, unfortunately.

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 23, 2011

Can someone post their schedule time-wise? I am interested in doing this with 1st or 2nd graders. Thanks!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2011

Time wise....with first second graders.

Well, with this age I would try to get through all 5 dailies. The times at the beginning of the year will be drastically different from the middle and the end.

At the beginning, students may only spend 3 minutes reading to self. This will slowly increase.

I would say that you would want your students to spend about 20-30 minutes at each station. So, that would be about a 5-10 minute lesson, then 15-30 minutes working at a daily. This really depends on the students. Then 5-10 minute lesson, etc.

So:

9:00-9:10 Mini lesson
    9:10-9:40 First daily
    9:40-9:45 Mini lesson
    9:45-10:15 Second daily
    10:15-10:20 Mini lesson
    10:20-10:45 Third daily
    10:45-10:55 Mini lesson
    10:55-11:15 Fourth daily
    11:15-11:20 Mini lesson
    11:20-11:40 Fifth daily

Times tend to get shorter as the day progresses because students lose stamina. But you would want a good 2 1/2 hours for reading/writing. However, if you have less time, just complete less rotations.

7. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 23, 2011

I used it with my ELL 1st graders last year, kids who had chaotic home lives, and they LOVED the structure of it and against all odds did fantastic!

We pretty much followed the schedule they give in the book for introducing each segment.. making up the chart, modeling behaviors, practicing segment for 3 minutes the first day, 5 minutes the next, etc.. It's SO important to have the book to refer to.

It took about a month to get it running completely. Here's how it ended up running best:

20 minutes whole group phonics instruction- Then we went through the rotation. Kids had folders with each day of the week and next to each day, a 1, 2, and 3. I passed out folders and told them to find their "number 1" activity for whatever day it was.

They then went to that activity, and we rotated 3 times for 20 minutes each.

At any one time, there would be:

1. A group at the guided reading table with me
    2. A group doing word work
    3. A group buddy-reading or listening to reading, depending on the day.

We did independent reading and writing at different times of the day.

Everyone that came into my room at this time of day always commented on how amazed they were with how independent the kids were. When a kid got off task, all I would have to do was say their name, and they would silently and immediately get back on task. It was great! I'm hoping to implement it with my Kindergarten next year.

8. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 23, 2011

What grade levels is this for?

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2011

This could be used with any grade level K-older. I use some aspects in 6th grade and our district uses this all the way down to K.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2011

With my 2nd graders...

9:10-9:20 mini lesson w/ read aloud
    9:20 - 9:40 Round 1: I take a small group, if I have a parent volunteer they take small group, everyone else is at read to self/read together/word work/listening
    9:40-50- mini lesson - usually phonics and fluency with a shared reading poem
    9:50 - 10:10 Round 2
    10:10-30 - Round 3

At the beginning of the year, I tell everyone which Daily they're at, and everyone is doing the same thing. In October, I started letting them choose. I have a class list on a clipboard, go down the list and say who is at group that round (because I have very fluid groups, that change all the time!), and then everyone else quickly makes their selection.

11. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 24, 2011

Is the Daily 5 for middle school-7th and 8th grade as well?

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2011

Yes, our middle school uses it.
    So does our high school spanish teacher.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2011

Grade 2
    My schedule has changed a few times this year.
    Since January it typically looks like:
    8:15-9:00 morning meeting, Daily math facts, daily problem solving, DOL, handwriting
    9:00-9:15 read aloud
    9:15-9:25 mini lesson
    9:25-9:50 Daily 5 round 1
    9:50-10:25 special
    10:25-10:35 mini lesson
    10:35-11:00 Daily 5 round 2
    11:00-11:05 reveiw a Daily 5 concept
    11:05-12:00 Lunch and recess
    12:00-12:45 Science/Social Studies/Technology
    12:45-1:30 Math
    1:30-1:45 Recess
    1:45-2:10 Daily 5 round 3
    2:10-2:20 mini lesson
    2:20-2:40 Daily 5 Round 4 (Afternoon Daily is shorter due to stamina)
    2:40-2:50 mini lesson
    2:50-3:10 Daily 5 Round 5
    3:20 dismissal

Mini lessons...I usually have phonics, model my own writing, or reveiw a CAFE concept.

During rounds, I usually have 3 small groups where I teach a new reading/wrting concept similar to tradtional whole group. The other 2 rounds I meet with students.

I also have the Title 1 and ELL teachers in my room doing small groups or meet with individuals as well.

I also have a retired couple who comes in Tuesday and Thursdays from 1:50-3:10 to listen to students read.

14. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Mar 25, 2011

I used Daily 5 this year and I was successfull in some areas and struggled with other areas. I teach 4th grade.

1) I built stamina with the kids at the beginning of the year and it worked wonders!!

2) I couldn't keep my mini lessons mini, so that is something to work on.

3) Some of my students struggled with reading books on their level..I did multiple lessons and small groups, but they just didn't get it. I probably spent too much time checking on those students.

4) I didn't think my conferences were as effective as I would have liked, but I will continue to work on that next year. I set goals with the kids, but the never did move their sticky notes..:unsure:

5) I need to work on having the kids respond to their reading in journals.. I didn't feel I did that right. I'll do more modeling next year.

I started off strong doing the daily 5 and then I started to panic because their benchmark scores weren't all that great. I was the only one doing Daily 5 in my grade level and felt like I wasn't doing enough.. My teammates scores were better than mine and it worried me.

I did see some growth, but not as much as I would like. I had several parents tell me that their child read more this year than any other year, which made me feel good. :D If I got one student hooked on reading than I would consider it a success!! :thumb:

15. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 25, 2011

Will a 7th and/or 8th grade teacher tell me how you utilize the daily 5? Thank you!

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Mar 26, 2011

This is what I do with 4th Grade:

I have an hour 4x a week and 90 minutes on the other day. My rotations are 20 minutes long and the students have the choice of Independent Reading (IR), Partner Reading (PR), Listening to Reading (LR), Word Work (WW), and Writing (Wr). I required that they work their way through all 5 before repeating a choice. I have individual cd players and discs for the chapter groups.

We are working with novels, so this example would be repeated throughout the novel.

Day 1: Listen to Chapters 1-5 of novel on tape, or teacher reads aloud and students follow along in their books. (Usually this needed to be carried over to day 2.)

Days 2-7: Students work through rotations of IR, PR, LR, WW, or Wr. Word Work and Writing exercises have to do with vocabulary and writing prompts specific to each of the chapters in this group.

Day 8: Vocabulary work and reading notebooks (where writing was done) are due; test is given on this chapter group.

Repeat for the next chapter group.

We have a mini-lesson on a reading or writing topic 3x a week and I pull small groups for more intensive instruction so that I work with each student 3 -4 times during the chapter group.

17. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Mar 26, 2011

I love the Daily 5 and have had success with it in the past, but this year, I have one student that despite constant modeling, chooses not to independently pick an area and behave. We actually had to stop the listening center because of his behavior (He broke the equipment).

How to deal with this? And yes, he modeled the right and wrong way so he is capable, but is making a choice not to do it.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2011

Keep going with the Daily.
    This child would be a problem in any setting.

Is it defiance or attention?
    If it's defiance, what is your school's procedure?
    Ours is to meet with a consultation team and involve the parents.

With my some kids, I have tried giving them a stamina break by...
    1. Having them Walk an errand to the furthest teacher
    2. Having them switch mid Daily to another Daily. They can always choose that one again.
    3. When stamina leaves, let them set an egg timer and play with Legos or play-dough for a bit.
    4. Meet individually with that child each session

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2011

I will ask them.

I know they do all five nearly daily.
    I think their word work is more vocabulary skills.
    I beleive their 'read to self' is at a time when the whole middle school drops everything and reads at the same time.