The Daily 5

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by puff5655, Feb 2, 2011.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 2, 2011

I may be moving to Kinder next year and will have total flexibility with curriculum.

I used the Daily 5 with a first grade class last year and it worked marvelously. Is there anyone here who has used it in K?

What did it look like, did you start right at the year's beginning, and how long did you spend in it?

Could you also list your full day's schedule so I can get a feel for how it would fit in?

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

The Sisters actually wrote a daily 5 for K. It is on there website!

4. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 2, 2011

I can't find it. Could you send me a link? I have the book, and they do make suggestions for how to adapt it for K, but I want to hear about how teachers implement it and fit it into their schedule in the real world.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

6. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Feb 4, 2011

You might also want to consider joining the KindergartenD5 group. There are lots of files that others have created and shared and you could view the current and past messages. I am hoping to implement it next year, too.

7. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 9, 2011

cool, thanks!

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 9, 2011

We dont use it, but I know several other K teachers who have. It is definitely doable and effective. Good luck with K next year.

9. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 10, 2011

I am sick of Saxon Phonics and am interested in this too, thanks!!

10. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Feb 26, 2011

I actually just started doing this in my class. We just started about 2 weeks ago. I have not yet read the book, but got an opportunity to observe a teacher who does this in 1st, and a kinder class that does this, and they recommended starting even if I haven't read the 2 Sister's book. I'm using a handout that I was given that breaks down what to do, and what I observed.
    So far we've mastered read to self. They LOVE this! At first we only did read to self for about 3 minutes at a time, but they are now able to read with stamina for 15 minutes. I teach a 5 to 15 minute lesson, then the students go to read to self for 15 minutes. They come back to me for another lesson, then read to self again. We do about 3 lessons whole group, broken up by read to self sessions. Each time before they go to read to self, we recap what they are expected to do (Read the whole time, hold books carefully, read the books in their book bag, stay in one spot, use a quiet voice). After they come back to the mat/carpet, I ask how they did with each thing (reading the whole time, holding books carefully, and so on). If they did great they give me a thumbs up. If they did okay they hold their thumb sideways, if they really struggled they give me a thumbs down. I also ask if anyone used one of the reading strategies that we have learned and let 2 to 3 students share.
    We'll be starting read to someone this week. I'm really looking forward to doing this next year when I'll be able to start from the beginning and plan to read the book as soon as possible.