The CSET Study Guide You Shouldn't Buy

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by LAPD, May 25, 2005.

1. LAPD

LAPD New Member

May 25, 2005

REA (Research & Education Association) CSET Multiple Subject ISBN 0-7386-0017-2

Perhaps the worst book I've seen as the book is not aligned with the content standards, especially w/Language Arts. The only chapter that discusses Language Arts is all based on Poetry.

No mention of Phonics, Phonemic Awareness, Assessment, Spelling Stages, Writing Strategies, etc.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2005

Sounds like you're feeling a bit burned. My sympathies.

CSET prep materials tend to reflect the backgrounds and preoccupations of their authors. It makes sense to figure out what you need to know that you don't know (the Subject Matter Requirements on the CSET Web site are helpful) and then look for the materials that will feed what you need.

4. Janie

Janie Guest

Jun 9, 2005

You are right....This is a BAD book. The only chapter for Language Arts deals with poetry only.....

The other chapters are as bad as only a few standards are covered....

I tried returning the book, and they told me "you are stuck with the book now, tried selling it to someone else". Their customer service rep. were really rude too....

5. Carlos

Carlos Rookie

Jul 16, 2005

You are so right! This study guide is terrible. :mad:

6. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 16, 2005

Looked at it in Borders the other day. Totally agree with the other commenters. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!

7. maximum

maximum Rookie

Jul 17, 2005

I have struggled with subtest two many times. So I purchased one more study guide acethecset software. I had used cliffs, REA" THE WORST", test guides. Read the Hirches books and brainpop none of them seemed to work. I kept missing it by a few points. Well in a last ditch effort I purchased this sotfware $39.99 for ninety days and $49.99 for life. www.acethecset.com I downloaded it the same day and started studying. I only needed it for subtest II which is frustrating because I had passed I and III However, it was so worth it. The software is interactive and I swear it has the essays and multiple choice questions EXACTLY like they are on the test. Yesterday my math problem, was exactly like the software. What I did was write out index cards of all the questions and answers and just kept reading them. Yesterday my essay questions I had the answers to thanks to the software. This software literally covers the exam questions. I find it outrageous that we can not discuss or post questions on the board however, the publishers of this software can write the questions exact and sell them???? I highly suggest purchasing the software at least I can guarantee if you are having trouble with II it is so worth it. They have fill in the blanks, matching, definitions, and it is so much better than reading those dry stufy guides cliff's book. You can only download it to one computer so make sure if you purchase it is on your computer at home.
    GOOD LUCK,
    * Hopefully, I can post I finally passed II in 30 days. But this software did help and it really blew me away how acurate and exact many of the questions were. I have seen subtest II many times in many different versions and they cover it!

8. k2teach

k2teach New Member

Jul 18, 2005

I can attest to this. I went to Barnes and Noble to check out all the study guides and went with REA’s because I liked the lay out of it Plus it had been recommended to me that I not get Cliffs). I assumed all CSET study guides would have comparable information in them and I liked the quick facts and 2 full-length practice tests with detailed explanation of answers. To say the least, I was bummed when test day came and hours of studying were wasted. I spent several hours studying the REA guide, then just before the test I looked at the CSET practice test. Anyone looking for study advice should definitely START by downloading the info from the NES website. The questions are either identical, or at least somewhat similar…wish I had spent more time studying their practice test!
    Thanks maximum, I'll use www.acethecset.com the study before I retake the test.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2005

What information is in a given CSET book depends to some extent on whether it's primarily a repackaged MSAT book - the MSAT doesn't/didn't test about reading at all.

It makes lots of sense to be aware of California's content standards, by reading the Subject Matter Requirements document on the CSET Web site, by downloading the Content Standards from the free-download page of the California Department of Education, or both.