The creeping bathroom scale...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, May 14, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 14, 2008

I am 5' 3" and last winter I weighed about 150 and wore a size 12/14. I was miserable and felt huge. Over the late winter and early spring I went through an awful period in my life and basically quit eating. I dropped to a size 4/6 and 120 lbs. My ideal weight (IMO) is somewhere between 120 and 125.

Back in early April of this year I quit smoking :)D) and the weight is slowly creeping back up :)()... I have not whipped out my scale yet, but I think I gained maybe 10 or 12 lbs. This may not seem like a lot, but on my petite frame it's very noticeable.

I know quitting smoking has a lot to do with the weight gain but I think it's also my job. Last spring and summer I worked at a job that was pretty physical and required lots of lifting; now I'm a sub.

The other issue is my new-found stress: I found out I'll be a 5th grade teacher in the fall. While I'm PSYCHED to have a job, I'm pretty terrified of 5th graders :lol: and I'm scared of the first-year ride that's ahead. I tend to eat more when stressed (but obviously last winter was an exception...)

I just hope I can lose these 10 lbs I put on and keep them off. I worry my weight will KEEP creeping....

Now I feel stupid for whining about something so petty but I feel a little better knowing that a lot of people are probably on this weight boat with me :)

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 14, 2008

Congrats on quitting smoking. You should be VERY proud of yourself:clap: :clap:

4. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 14, 2008

My mom just sent me an email about this very same thing. My weight has also creeped up this year and my mom pointed out that this is a stressful job (she's also a teacher) and that she had to get up at 5:30 every morning before school and work out and she was also very careful about what she ate. I HATED it in high school and I HATE that in order for me to maintain my weight I may have to do this...
    Anyway, I feel your pain.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 14, 2008

5th graders are awesome! Just walk in the place like you own it, and you will be fine!

I have no scale advice though :( I have been going to the gym now pretty regularly, and eat fairly well- and have not lost an ounce.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 14, 2008

ugh. Last year was my worst ever year of teaching, right when I was going into the big hormonal issues. I gained 25 lbs! due to stress eating, wine, depression, and the hormonal thing. Sheesh. I am still trying to get those lbs off. I have not been consistent with exercise, so that is one area I have got to change. I don't want to hit the prime of my life weak and soft! I want to be strong in my later years.

I think women are just designed to gain weight. Exercise has to be a daily thing. Darn. And sorry to say, it gets tougher with each passing year because after 35 you start losing muscle mass - that is why women gain weight in their later years when they haven't changed their exercise or eating habits. sheesh

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 14, 2008

Me too guys! I am recovering from an injury and I can't even tell you how much I've gained. Hopefully I will be able to get back to the gym. I was thinking of trying Weight Watchers. I don't have a thing to wear for Spring and I dont' want to buy new HUGE clothes!

8. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 14, 2008

I gained a lot of weight last year because my fiance and I were going out to eat a lot, and I was under a lot of stress (like everyone else!). I found that Weight Watchers worked for me. It helped me change my lifestyle. I lost the weight and have kept it off since November. There are rough weeks, but for the most part, I've also maintained my lifestyle changes. You might think about looking into it.

BTW, congrats on the quitting smoking! That's great!!

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 15, 2008

Yes yes yes! Congratulations on quitting smoking. It is the most important health decision you will ever make, and you get to keep your skin looking nice much longer to boot!

Has anybody tried doing Weight Watchers online? We don't have it available here. I tried dieting through ediets, but they would not let me unsubscribe even after repeated emails requesting they quit charging my credit card! So I am leery of that. Any ideas?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 15, 2008

I did the free trial of WW online a while back. It didnt' work for me because I guess I need some stranger looking at the numbers on the scale for me lol.

11. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 15, 2008

I am trying to drop some lbs. before summer as well. I tried Weight Watchers and it stressed me out! It was the thinking about the points all the time and if I ran out of points by a certain time I would think "what if I get hungry later" and then I only figured out the point value of a few things so I wasn't getting a variety of foods which I didn't like. :down:

12. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 15, 2008

I did WW online and like it. Going to meetings isn't really my thing. When I unsubscribed after losing the weight, it was a piece of cake....ok, sorry about the pun. :D Seriously though, I didn't have any problems with them when I stopped subscribing.

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 15, 2008

:hijack:

my mom bought a bathroom scale, it kept going up each day about 3 lbs............... she took it back and the lady asked what the problem was........... she said it lies.:lol:

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 15, 2008

I thought the points caused me to totally obsess about food. I tried for a week or so and lost 3 pounds but all I thought about was those points and it drove me nuts. I would rather be on diet or do Atkins than the points.

I weigh about 12 pounds more than I want to. I am only 5 feet tall so that is quite a bit on me and it seems to be in waist and my thighs. I need to get moving. I have been too sedentary lately. I also need to be better about drinking water.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 15, 2008

I do WW online and LOVE it! I've lost 40 pounds and I am currently training for a 5k! I tried forever and over to lose those extra pounds, but found WW was the only thing that worked for me. :)

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 15, 2008

wow !! that is awesome buck8!

17. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 15, 2008

Thanks Lemon! I've been really good lately, but sometimes I have several bad weeks at a time. It's a total life style change, and I'm so happy I finally did it! I wish I did it earlier!

18. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 16, 2008

4-6 small meals per day with decent amount of protein and healthy fats.

Limit your carbs (DONT CUT THEM) and make sure your carbs are from UNREFINED sources...i.e. Whole grains (100% whole grains...not "made with whole grain"), fruits and veggies.

And again..healthy fats are key. I see so many people (especially women) make the mistake of getting "low fat" this and "fat free" this...when in reality its not helping. Yes, stay away from heavy saturated fats but mono and polyunsaturated fats are beneficial and aid in weight loss (specifically fat loss).

Remember, you want to lose fat and gain some lean muscle.

Ok sorry, im a fitness guy so Im really into this stuff. :lol::cool:

19. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 16, 2008

:lol: Thanks Dr. Phil

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 16, 2008

I do Weight Watchers also. I had lost 80 pounds, but then I got married, moved to Idaho, and gained back almost 30 pounds. I started going to Weight Watchers again, and I've lost 17.6 pounds so far. So now I've lost about 67 pounds-close to where I was before!

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 16, 2008

I know they are doing WW in my town I just have to find out the times. I wanted to go to a place that has saturday meetings but it's too far with these gas prices!!