The cover letter I WANT to send

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Jun 3, 2010.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

I don't think I would really send this to anyone. But it describes how I feel about the whole situation of looking for a job the last few months.

Dear Principal,

I can't even begin to imagine how a principal would pick applicants that they want to interview out of a pool of hundreds or thousands. But I care about me, selfish as that may sound. So how do I get noticed?

I've literally sent out hundreds of letters and emails. Even made a couple of phone calls. And I've not gotten a nibble, not one. I'm beginning to get frustrated.

This is not about getting a job. I have a job. It pays well enough for me and my family to pay our bills, and shelter, feed and clothe our children. So many times I have gotten the variation on, “Just be happy you have a job in this economy.” I am! But I'm not doing what I love.

Do you remember that moment in When Harry Met Sally where Harry finally figures out he's in love with Sally? He goes looking for her. When he finds her, he tells her, “I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” That's how I feel about teaching. When I figured out that it's what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I wanted to start teaching as soon as possible.

I admit, it took me awhile to figure out that being in a classroom is my calling and the thing that I do best. In fact, it took having a job outside of education to make me realize that teaching is where I belong. It's the only occupation for which I have a passion. Everything else is just a job.

I love children. I love working with them and teaching them. I believe that when I am in the classroom, children benefit from my instruction. No...I KNOW that when I am in the classroom children benefit from my instruction.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a reunion of seniors at the elementary school I had taught at. I had taught some of these kids as third graders. I was completely shocked when one of them told me, “Mr. PPC, you really made me love math.” Wow...I keep going over that in my mind again and again. That says it all for me. That's why I need to teach. I made a difference in a child's life.

I could tell you about the books I've read, the workshops I've attended, the buzz words I've learned. But that doesn't get to the heart of the matter. All of that stuff is just peripheral. It's important, to be sure, but it's not why I'm a teacher.

One thing I know, I am still at teacher. And I NEED to be in a classroom. All I'm asking for is a chance.

Thank you.

3. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Actually, other than the little rant at the beginning, that doesn't sound so bad! All the information you end of writing in a "bulk" cover letter, is things that a prospective employer would see in your resume and other parts of an application. Is not a cover letter to grab the attention of the employer? If I were to read your letter (minus the rant) I would be interested in knowing your experience and look at the rest of the application; however, the little rant kind of makes it sound a bit bitter/angry. :lol: We all know how the rat race makes you feel. I have also been in my own classroom, only to be on the waiting list again.

4. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Just to clarify, would you say my rant is the first two paragraphs (ending with the word 'frustrated')?

5. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 3, 2010

The Harry Met Sally reference grabbed my attention. If you wanted to be bold, that would be a fantastic introduction. Paragraph six would be good for the next part.

The rest? I'm sure you know what principals would think.:haha:

6. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jun 3, 2010

I agree! It caught my eye and I wanted to keep reading! Maybe this is what principals need to read :)

7. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Well, if anyone wants to help me clean this up and turn it into something I could potentially use that would be great!:D

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2010

I think jwteacher's on the right track here.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 3, 2010

Agreed. You are obvious about your passion for pedagogy. This highlights this passion as well as your creativity. It would catch anyone's eye. Just "accentuate the positive / eliminate the negative", as the song goes.

10. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Catnfiddle: Thanks!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2010

Love it.

12. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Except for the first 2 or 3 paragraphs, this is amazing! I am definitely going to use this as an example for when I write my cover letters next year.

13. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

I was only toying with using this. But because of all the comments here, I am going to polish it up and, of course, remove the negative aspects. Which exact parts do you think I should jettison and how might you arrange the others?

And I believe I will try just sending it to one principal to test it out, so to speak.

14. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

You brought tears to my eyes because I feel the same way!!! I think that the When Harry Met Sally analogy is fantastic!! Find a way to incorporate that into your letter. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know WHEN you get an interview due to the letter!!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2010

You have some wonderful ideas. I agree- the When Harry met Sally reference is wonderful!!!

Keep in mind though-- principals aren't looking to make YOUR dreams come true; they're looking for the teacher that will make THEIR dreams come true. Turn your ideas around a little; convince them that THEY NEED YOU, not that you need them. Your reunion paragraph brings that across-- be sure to include those ideas!

16. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

Yeah and a little into the next paragraph, too. Still sound a bit angry, but where you start with "When Harry Met Sally," it gets pretty good!! :haha:

17. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 8, 2010

Okay, I would seriously send that. I can tell you that it caught my attention and that if an applicant sent that to me....I'd think, "Finally, a real person!!" So many come off as "beauty pageant" speeches.....I know we have to do that but they just run together and they all sound the same.

I disagree, however, on the When Harry Met Sally part. That was the only part I didn't like. The reason being was that the letter grabbed my attention immediately and everything leading up to that part was great but then I kinda felt like the "applicant" went off the deep end a little and it became "too much". Everyone else seems to love that part, however, so you may want to consider that I'm in the minority on this one....and I'm kind of a realist so my personality could be playing a role.

Nonetheless, I thought it was very unique and you definitely need to stand out during times like these.

18. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I did post a revised version a few minutes ago, but I had removed so much of my original that I felt like it had lost what many people found appealing about it. So here is my revised version. I have tried to remove the negative overtones, but otherwise I have left it as it was before. It would be easy for me to remove or keep the When Harry Met Sally paragraph. Thanks for all of your help. Even if this doesn't get me an interview, I feel that it truly expresses how I feel.

Dear Principal,

I can't even begin to imagine how a principal would pick applicants that they want to interview out of a pool of hundreds or thousands. So how do I get noticed?

This is not about getting a job. I have a job. It pays well enough for me and my family to pay our bills, and shelter, feed and clothe our children. So many times I have gotten the variation on, “Just be happy you have a job in this economy.” Believe me when I say that I am very happy to have a job in times like these. But I'm not doing what I love.

Do you remember that moment in When Harry Met Sally where Harry finally figures out he's in love with Sally? He goes looking for her. When he finds her, he tells her, “I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” That's how I feel about teaching. When I figured out that it's what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I wanted to start teaching as soon as possible.

I admit, it took me awhile to figure out that being in a classroom is my calling and the thing that I do best. In fact, it took having a job outside of education to make me realize that teaching is where I belong. It's the only occupation for which I have a passion. Everything else is just a job.

I love children. I love working with them and teaching them. I believe that when I am in the classroom, children benefit from my instruction. No...I KNOW that when I am in the classroom children benefit from my instruction.

I could tell you about the books I've read, the workshops I've attended, the buzz words I've learned. But that doesn't get to the heart of the matter. All of that stuff is just peripheral. It's important, to be sure, but it's not why I'm a teacher.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a reunion of seniors at the elementary school I had taught at. I had taught some of these kids as third graders. I was completely shocked when one of them told me, “Mr. E, you really made me love math.” Wow...I keep going over that in my mind again and again. That says it all for me. That's why I need to teach. I made a difference in a child's life.

One thing I know, I am still at teacher. And I NEED to be in a classroom. All I'm asking for is a chance.

I submit myself for your consideration for any position in grades 1-5 that may arise at Awesome Elementary. I know that I can be an effective teacher at your school and provide the students with the education that they deserve. See my attached resume for the full details of my experience and a full listing of my certifications. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you.

19. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

I would definitely send this letter. If someone actually does answer the question on how to get noticed, let us know!

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2010

I would send this letter out too!! It's not your normal cover letter so it will stand out!

21. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

Just emailed this cover letter as an attachment to five principals (Harry and Sally intact). I'll let you know if I get any responses.

22. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 17, 2010

Cool....Can't wait to see the responses!