The Cook

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2007

For those of you teaching in private daycare settings, I have a question. Who prepares the snacks for your children? Does the cook make the snack and set it out on plates so you can go get it? Does she bring it to your classroom? If it's sandwiches or crackers/cheese, who make it for your kids?

3. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Mar 8, 2007

I wish we had a cook! Ha.

Teachers or assistants alternate serving lunches. I find this to be a real disadvantage when my assistant (if I even have one) gets pulled out during Cirlce to serve lunches.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 8, 2007

Yeah, that's an interesting one for me.

We have a "chef." He's pretty much incompetent, but the kids love him. The staff knows better.

He brings AM snack with juice to the rooms... granola bars in a bowl, a bowl of yogurt, a bunch of bananas, a pack of crackers, a bag of bagels with cream cheese packets in a bowl, whatever. We serve it ourselves in the room. We return our empty dishes to the kitchen.

He brings lunch to the rooms, usually late, and usually not enough of it. If we need more, we have to go to the kitchen to bug him for it, and he usually whines and complains when I tell him my kids are still hungry because they want to eat more than 2 fish sticks... or because they want more than one small spoonful of applesauce... or one stalk of broccoli, which is usually all he gives.

We serve the food... if it's something like cheeseburgers, we'll get buns, meat, and cheese and make them up ourselves. If it's grilled cheese sandwiches or quesadillas, we can count on lunch being at least 15 minutes late because he'll actually need to make them up in the kitchen. We have a main course, fruit, vegetable, and milk... plus often an alternate entree or two for vegetarians/food allergies (I often have to ask for those, even though they're specifically listed on the form we fill out every morning with numbers and needs)... We return the dishes to the kitchen. They may or may not be washed before he goes home 3 hours later. (He's on break, you know)

He sets PM snack out in bowls in the kitchen with pitchers of juice, we're supposed to go get it ourselves. I don't know why he can't bring it to us, but I suspect he'd come up with some excuse about it still being nap time of something. It's similar to AM snack... it might be a big bowl of pudding or jello which we dish out in bowls in the room. Sometimes a pack of crackers and pack of cheese... we make the sandwiches up ourselves. Or it might be granola bars or fruit roll ups or something. We return the dishes to the kitchen. They're usually still on the cart in the morning.

My co-teacher and I alternate weeks on leading circle. The other sets up AM snack and lunch... whoever gets a chance sets up PM snack, although I'm usually the one who gets it from the kitchen since that's right when I'm coming back from my break.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 9, 2007

My kids attend a parent co-op preschool. We parents do everything. One of us is in charge of bringing the snack on our work day and we set it out for the kids to serve themselves. We try to make it organic, it has to include at least two food groups, and sugar can't be in the first three ingredients (except for yogurt).

6. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 9, 2007

I do snack here a all the children sit down then i ask them ( by name) if they want juice . Then after all the juices passed out .I ask them( by name ) if they would like what is for snack. Each of our children have a colored cup and matching bowl and plate.So they know who is who. They love having their our .

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2007

At the center I ran I had a cook that served breakfast and lunch. She also did the cleanup for those two meals. Before her shift ended (during nap time) she handed out snack then it was the teachers responsibility to clean up and do the dishes left from snack. Each room had a small frig. in the room as well for juice and refrigerated snacks to keep them cold.

8. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 9, 2007

Our kids bring their own snacks, each parent is given a list of what is appropriate and we keep snacks just in case someone sends something that is not on the list. ( we are peanut free). I check and double check everything!! Our kids also bring their own lunch, and again because of the peanut free, I go through all the lunches to be safe. Only once have I found a granola bar that was labled could have peanuts.

9. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Mar 9, 2007

At the center I worked at before, the assistant director usually made lunch and the teachers each had a week of snack duty where we had to make snack for the whole school. They usually pulled one of us out at nap time to do it.

10. sherlockholmes

sherlockholmes Rookie

Mar 9, 2007

At my daycare we have a cook the does breakfast and lunch and a cook that comes in at 12:00 to help clean up from lunch and make our after noon snack.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 9, 2007

I forgot to mention that, although we serve a "breakfast snack," the teachers get it themselves from the kitchen... it's just cereal and juice.

Grammy... what's it like at your school? What made you ask the question? :p

12. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Mar 10, 2007

We have a cook that brings us our morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack. She also cleans up after each. She works from 7:30 until around 3:00. We don't have to put anything together like hamburgers etc. but, the vegetable and fruit are in large bowls and we put everything on the plates and give everyone milk or juice.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2007

We have a cook. She prepares lunch and brings it up to our classroom. We serve it and the dishes are then brought to the kitchen and she does all the dishes. She sets snacks out on the kitchen counter for us to grab in the afternoon and the dishes are again returned to the kitchen for her or someone who has time washes them at the end of the day.
    The reason I asked is because we have had cooks who made all our snacks and brought them to us. We don't like to leave our classrooms or have to make the snacks such as sandwiches because we need to be with the kids interacting and not preparing food for them. All in all, we have it pretty good.

14. Mally

Mally Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

I'm the Chief, Cook & Bottle Washer at my Center. In the mornings, I get morning snack ready (and yes, I set it out in each room). Then I take the Kinders to school (8:50 a.m.) Then I load the dishwasher and start preparing lunch. Once the group that uses our "Big Room" goes outside, I vacuum it and set out nap-cots. If I have time and am needed, I do individual observations of students. I then unload the dishwasher and set all the needed dishes in each of the lunch rooms, make sure lunch is ready on platters and in the oven warming. Then I go pick the morning Kinders up at school (11:25a.m.). When I get back I set lunch out in the lunch rooms. As the groups are finishing lunch, I start loading the dishwasher. In the afternoon, I'm the Director. I actually love being in the kitchen. The way my Center is set up I can hear what's going on in every room from the kitchen. It keeps me out of the basement (that's where my office is) and familiar to all the children. I love my job!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2007

In the preK/daycare I worked in as Lead Teacher for one year, the aides and I were the teachers, chief cooks and bottle washers.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 23, 2007

I just had to hire a new cook. I spent this last week cooking, and it is exhausting. So, I gave the new cook a 50 cent raise. Our cook does whatever I tell her to do, as I am the director.

But, basically, our cook prepares a breakfast, lunch and serves them to the children. We use family style service, so the children help set the table. The cook fills all the serving dishes, and sets them on the counter. The teacher assiting with lunch sets them on the table. The children come to the lunch room, sit down, and eat family style--passing the food around just like at home. Then, they clear their place.

Our cook set the snack out, and goes home before snack. The cook also handles a great deal of cleaning.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 23, 2007

When I worked in daycare we had a cook. She would bring in AM and PM snack (usually a whole bag or bowl of it) and a container of juice. The teachers served and poured juice for the kids at the table. For lunch in the toddler and twos room the cook brought a cart with the plates prepared. The teachers would hand out plates and pour milk for the students. In the 3s and pre-k rooms the teacher sat at the table with the students and the food was brought in bowls of some sort. The food was served "family style". One person gave each person a scoop from a bowl. Example: One student served everyone else a spoon of peas, one student served everyone tuna noodle casserole, one student served everyone a spoon of fruit. Two of the students each day were assigned to milk duty (we had these great children's pitchers that taught you how to poor) One student handed out napkins and another passed out spoons. It sounds hectic, but the kids learned so many real skills from it, and they were really good at it :)

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

My dad used to work in a preschool and make the meals. He worked there for a few months until he retired. I remember he came home one day telling us how the teachers had to have a talk with him about adding sugar to their cereals. They were too hyper!! He would put a ton of sugar in my brother's and my cereal, but sugar doesn't get us hyper.