The Computer Mouse-"Proper" Way to Hold It?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sundrop, Oct 14, 2009.

1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 14, 2009

I have a question for computer teachers, but perhaps others of you might also have some opinion about this.

I have a student (grade 1) who holds the mouse with his thumb on the left mouse button and the rest of his fingers wrapped around the right side of the mouse. I think it will eventually become a problem for him as he gets older. Will he be able to use the scroll wheel or click the right mouse button easily? Is there a "proper" way to hold a mouse and
    should I be concerned about this or just let it go? I have had this student since preK and have asked him to try and hug the mouse with his thumb and pinky so the three fingers rest on top of the mouse but he quickly reverts back to his previous way of holding it. I don't want to talk to his parents about it if it isn't a big deal. What do you think?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2009

I think 'this generation' just kind of finds its way electronically. As long as his 'mouse grip' isn't impeding his use of technology, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 14, 2009

Give him a mouse with a scroll wheel :p

5. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 14, 2009

The boy's grip won't impede him later using a mouse. As he experiences instances where that grip doesn't work as well, he will adjust it. When touchpads first came out on laptops, there was discussion on whether or not to use it with younger kids because of concern about being able to use a mouse. Children have no problem learning to adjust as the need arises.

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 15, 2009

I think I will just let it go and see how he does. As you have said, he will likely adjust his grip once he realizes it is slowing him down. One less battle to fight!