The classroom phone

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Blank, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 5, 2014

Are students allowed to use the classroom phone? I am a sub and I get asked fairly frequently by students to use the classroom phone. It's always to call a parent about a ride situation, a project that needs to be dropped off, or something like that...never a "personal chat" or anything. Is this allowed? No one ever went over this with me! When the students ask, I always ask that they wait until school is over, or until we are on a break of some sort (recess, lunch). Thanks, seasoned teachers :)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2014

This is a tricky one. Some schools are very strict about this sort of thing, whereas others are not.

If you are able to ask, you should ask. If you're at different schools all the time, I realize that might not be practical.

Is there a phone in the main office (or anywhere else) available for student use? If so, direct the students there.

If not, I guess I don't see it as a terrible thing to allow students to use the classroom phone after school or at lunch for parent contact only. I'm curious to see what others think about this one.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 5, 2014

It probably does vary by school as Caesar said. At our school we are pretty lax with it. I'd rather them use the phone in class rather than their cell phones anyway.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 5, 2014

It just doesn't vary from site-to-site. Each teacher has his/her own preference (at the schools I've worked at, anyway). Some teachers don't mind if the kids use the classroom phone, but others insist that they come to the front office to use the student phone.

Personally, I used to have my kids use the classroom phone. I didn't want them to miss out on instructional time by walking all the way to/from the office.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 5, 2014

This really varies from school to school. I'd find out what the school policy is. We use to have a policy students couldn't use classroom phones. Our policy has changed and we now allow students to use classroom phones.

7. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 5, 2014

I've rarely had a student ask to use the classroom phone. They usually ask if they can use their cell phone to call home.

I recently subbed at a HS with a "bring your own device policy." In one class I noticed that every student was using their laptop or cellphone.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2014

In K-8, most schools would understand sending the students to the front office to call home. This way, there is always someone within earshot who might pick up if it didn't sound like a legit call home, which happens. Additionally, the parent might need to ask for more information about when the student will be ready to leave, something the front office will know. At HS, BYOD has changed many of the rules, but I know that if the students are needing to get clothes that meet the dress code, arrange for transportation if detention has been assigned, or if there will be changes in transportation that involves bus assignments, the front office is still where you want to send them. Many teachers I know will allow a very brief call home to confirm the student is staying after school for help, or to finish a test. If in doubt, though, send them to the office. We had a student call her much older boyfriend to pick her up after school, and it was a disaster because no one was really listening to the call. Better safe than sorry.