The class that will not stop talking..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Toast, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Toast

Toast Companion

Aug 29, 2010

3rd grade.....26 kids....

They are not bad, just very chatty. Clapping rhythms shuts them up for about 30 seconds, sending them to my version of "time out" results in them missing part of the lesson.

Sometimes they are calling out with information and answers pertaining to the lesson, other times they will start talking to thier neighbor during direct instruction. I'm finding that it is taking me way too long to get through a lesson because of how often I have to stop because of all the chatter.

Has anyone else encountered this? This is my 4th year teaching and usual bag of tricks isn't really working. What have you done to get your kids to stop talking and pay attention during direct instruction?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

I'm in 3rd grade and have 32 kids.

I make them practice a lot. We will not start class if they are talking. If they're wasting too much time, it comes out of their recess. We've talked about how with this big of a class, it's really important that they listen and are quiet immediately when I ask them. After two weeks of school now, they're getting to be really well behaved.

I did make an example one day and the whole class stayed in at second recess (15 minutes). I know a lot of people don't agree with that, but there are too many kids to really be fair and know exactly who was talking and who wasn't.

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 30, 2010

Have you tried Class/Yes and Teach/OK from WBT?

We are having an issue in the hallway and while lining up. It's embarrassing when parents have joined us for lunch to have to continually remind them NO Talking...I feel like an ogre by the time we are moving into the lunchroom.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

What if you had everyone go back to their seat, then brought them back to the carpet every time someone talked. Even if it takes the whole day....
    maybe sacrifice a day to get them to to behave exactly the way you want? IDK Good luck!

6. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

Having the same problem in 1st grade

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 30, 2010

Had 25 students last year swear that 22 of them talked in their sleep they talked so much awake. NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING would get them to stop (denying privileges, calling parents, no recess, didn't matter what they lost). This year have 18 and they are much better about it but still a little talkative. However, with this group they at least respond when something is said to them and I can get through a group or a lessonl.

8. ginac

ginac Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

Quick little fun activities that take a minute throughout the day and the good old 3 strikes on the board and we will not do the activity. I purchased the book"Fun Fitness Training For Kids" from Amazon and found some great activities including how to slow kids down quietly..."be a deadbug on it's back" "kitten sleeping"

9. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

Try Class-Yes from Whole Brain Teaching.

It works like this. You tell the kids that to get their attention you are going to say "class!" and they will say "yes!" and then get completely quiet.

Try it once.

Now tell them that the really fun part is that they have to say "yes" the same way you say "class".

Try a couple of these out.

you: class-class!

them: yes-yes!

you: classity-class

them: yessity-yes!

Try variations, and try to not repeat the same way twice in a day. The novelty of it keeps them paying attention, and the fact that they have something to do, which simultaneously signals them exactly when they need to be quiet, is a hook that will keep them invested.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 30, 2010

This works for me, it's also from Whole Brain Teaching (but it's the only thing I use, and I modified it a bit.)
    • Set up a point goal. I start with 15.
    • EVERY time they are good/on task/quiet, give a point
    • EVERY time it's in reverse, take a point
    • When they reach their goals they earn 10-15 free time. You'll find yourself taking points and giving points like CRAZY for a few days but then you can taper off :)

11. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

I have always used a positive reinforcement chart...you have probably seen the versions of everyone starts on a color and then goes down...min eis the opposite. I developed it when I was teaching inner city..works likes this:
    Beginning of the week they choose what reward they will get at the end of every day when they make it to the top of the ladder. Everyone starts on a color...it says great day, then (and this is where it became effectivly obvious!) in the middle of a lesson if they are talking, I say, thank you Mary for listening and move to the chart and move her up a color, that says your on a roll...whole clas silence! After a while I just need to move myself toward it and move like three names....sometimes I will sat....looking for 3, or 4 whatever...they loved choosing their reward..extra computer time, homework time....BUT their FAVORITE was a positive phone call home! anyone that ended up on the top got a positive phone call home...there were many days that i left with happy tears because of the accomplishments that the students made and how happy their parents were to hear...

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 30, 2010

I did that today when the kids wouldn't line up quietly for lunch!!!

13. Toast

Toast Companion

Aug 30, 2010

Awsome ideas! I love the "ladder" one as well as the whole brain teaching. Thanks so much!