The Case For and Against Homework

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HeadStart.Teach, Mar 11, 2009.

1. HeadStart.Teach

HeadStart.Teach Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

This question is for anyone raising children. What are your thoughts on the Homework Overload or do you even feel that it is an overload for children or us as parents/guardians?

3. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

My daughter is only four years old but as a teacher, I do not give homework other than their weekly spelling words. I think that if I give students a certain homework assignment, that it does not accurately reflect what the student really knows as it is often looked over, monitored, and corrected by the parent. I rely more heavily on giving class assignments. I think some teachers do overload their students with homework. Some teachers will say that it gives the parent an idea of what their children are doing in school and parents can also give an insight as to what their child is having problems with. I think that homework in the the traditional sense of the word is to restrictive and demanding. My nephew's first grade teacher assigned homework using a block format that she gives him every Monday. It's a packet and the cover page has a set of nine blocks and the instructions state that he can choose two assignments from the first row, one from the second, and one from the third. Each row increases in difficulty level but still gives the parents and the student the choice of what would be feasible and the child sees it at HIS choice as what to do for homework. Also, the assignments are usually ones that he can do without assistance and he can do it anyway he wants as long as he turns it in the following Monday.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 12, 2009

Personally, I think that homework should be only the work which students are unable to complete in class. In other words, students that spend their time working in class should have no homework (bar daily reading, and reviewing for tests).

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 12, 2009

I don't give homework. Research doesn't substantiate it and when I did give homework it was a headache to collect. The ones who needed extra work the most never did it.

6. dreamingtree27

dreamingtree27 New Member

Mar 12, 2009

The homework question is frustrating. I give homework, but I never actually check it. I just grade on completion, because I really don't have time to check homework all night long. It seems that in the effort to give homework to get kids to learn, the teacher ends up sacrificing their own life. And, of course, many kids do not do it and end up failing simple because they don't pick up a book outside of class.

7. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 12, 2009

I think homework in elementary school needs to be cut down - my two nephews who are in Kind. and 2nd have at least an hour of homework everynight!! Both of them!! I can understand spelling words and math facts but it really is silly that at that young age they have so much. It has caused them both to start saying they don't like school. It isn't work they don't complete in class it is worksheets that the teacher gives them to take home and do.

High school is another story. I think that high school students need to have some homework in order to prepare for the college workload. However, I think that loading them up too much can be a problem.

I'm teaching yet, still in school - but I will give some homework but not the ridiculous amounts I had in high school which would have me doing three-four hours each night.

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Mar 12, 2009

I'm raising four (K, K, 2nd, 6th) and I DESPISE homework. Home time is FAMILY TIME. We are a family of readers. I don't mind the kids "playing school" and doing that but I do not like assigned homework. We spend TOO MUCH family time doing homework only to realize that it merely gets a rubber stamp on it. I spend too much time checking over work and having the kids re-do it (or not; it depends on whether or not I think they should KNOW it or if I think it's still being reviewed in class).

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Mar 12, 2009

Too many teachers pile on homework because they feel it is an obligation or are required to give a certain amount of homework by school policy. Homework is only valuable if it can be carefully gone over and the student understands what he did on his task.

10. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Mar 12, 2009

My opinion has changed over the years.....I give very little homework. Our students work all day in class....just like we don't like work at home, they don't either. I haven't seen it as beneficial either, especially when parents get more involved in it than they should! I have even had parents complete a whole assignment in their handwriting....I mainly give it to practice spelling or to complete work unfinished in class that day.

11. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Mar 12, 2009

I am not a big fan of HW, mostly b/c I still seem to have hours a night right now in college and most of that is from two classes.

When I start teaching high school, this is what I PLAN to do, don't know how well it will work, I may have to change to better help my class.
    My first day I am going to lay it out strait to my students, you are high schoolers and you are in the point of your life where you are becoming young adults. You are getting old enough to make your own decisions. I will assign HW every night, but I will not collect or grade it. Instead I will answer any questions they may have at the beginning of class on the last nights HW, and I will not answer every single assigned question, just a couple before I get on with our lesson. So they will have a choice, to do it or not do it. But each Friday there will be a quiz and then every so often a test in place of a quiz. If they do not choose to do the HW, chances are it will show on the quizzes and tests.

If it gets bad I may have to start randomly collecting HW and grading it. I much rather spend my time designing a lesson or researching and coming up with an activity that will interest the class and teach them what ever I am teaching at that time. I never had HS teachers do this, but I did have college teachers do this and I loved it. There were nights were I would be swamped with another class (or classes) and just couldnt do my calc or linear algebra HW or which ever and I wouldnt. Sure I may have had to make that time up studying for my next test, but that was the consequence of the choice I made.

12. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

I had this too! That's one of the reasons I stopped giving it!

13. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Mar 12, 2009

Yes, the year I had a mom do this - and DENY it... I stopped giving it at all. She denied it. The kid was so embarrassed; he admitted it to me privately later.

14. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Mar 13, 2009

The way I see it---my students work hard in my classroom. I have my lessons so delicately planned that they do LOTS of math in the 55 minutes I have with them.

Their time at home should be THEIR time. Everybody needs down time....so I assign very little homework.

15. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 13, 2009

Homework is a big issue! No matter which way I decide to go some parents do not like the direction I have chosen. Personally I do not like it. As Hoot Owl said it is so hard to collect and I never know what to do to the kids that do not turn it in and then you have the students that do turn it in yet hated doing the assignment. It never seems to help the children that need it. I have also had parents complete the assignment. I wish there was an easy way to give it to the parents that want it without a lot of extra planning on my part.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2009

I only give homework that is designed to be meaningful and engaging to the student. Worksheets only as a study guide for a test or quiz. Sometimes something that fits in with our lit circles. But never meaningless "you have to do something every night."

Unfortunately, one school I worked at required they have 20 minutes of homework in each subject each night. In MS. That worked out to two hours a night. So I often told them to read for 20 minutes and mentioned on the sly that that included reading science or history homework :)

17. HeadStart.Teach

HeadStart.Teach Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

Thanks to everyone that responded to this question. I for one am for homework but against the overload of homework. My sister has two kids in the 4th grade & she gets very frustrated every night and even weekends with the homework sent home. It's an overload. They have homework for each subject, plus practicing for the ILeap on the computer at the same time. We understand that the teacher is trying to prepare the kids for the big test (ILeap) in order to pass onto the next grade, but when they're already sitting down for hours at school and then having to sit down again for 3 or more hours at home it's very frustrating. Before you know it, it's time to ready for bed. It also causes a problem when the parents/guardian have been out of school for years or wasn't that good in a particular subject.

18. HeadStart.Teach

HeadStart.Teach Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

Some of the assignments given to the students end up being homework for the parents. Especially poster projects and reports. I know for a fact it is for me and a friend of mine. Everytime a report is due, I end up doing it myself while trying to show my daughter how to research for a project and do a poster. After I have done all of the research and given my ideas on what to put on the poster. I end up finishing everything because now I don't want her to mess up my project and in my mind we had better get an "A."

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 13, 2009

Preschool-Kindergarten: Absolutely NO homework of any kind, period. It is not developmentally appropriate. Children need time to be kids. Their brains develop through free play and exploration, not through worksheets and guided activities. They are already in a formal school environment for longer than their brain development would consider ideal (these grades have become far too academic, and I'm afraid the result of this will be the worsening of results). They don't need MORE work when they get home. Parents, should; however, be reading to their kids every day.

1st-3rd: Minimal "homework" to only include reading time, either on their own or a parent reading too them, and studying math facts and spelling words. No additional activities.

4th-6th: Gradually increasing activities, including reading sections of the text before it is taught in class, short papers and projects, practicing math concepts, ect. The overall load shouldn't be more than 20-30 minutes for everything combined.

7th-8th: Theload should increase even more. The topics are getting harder and will require more time to master. Reading the text books outside of class (and before it is actually taught in class) should be required in all classes. Aditional practice and studying is required because of the increasing complexity an difficulty of the material, but homework still should not excede 15-20 minutes in most subjects and could be less in others. Depending on what's going in, it's not even necassary to have it in every subject every night. The overall load should be about 45 minutes - 1hour.

High school: High schoolers should be able to handle increasing amounts of out-of class work. This should include everything stated before for middle school, but the load should increase. The topics are getting quite complex and will require far more time than a teacher has in class for a student to completely master the material. This is also good training for college, where some courses will be so packed with information the professor won't even have time to teach it all and the student will still be expected to learn it.

20. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 13, 2009

as a mother who has a daughter in school , I have a new opinion of homework! I really give little homework now, just spelling and one math page a day, plus the daily reading.

enough is enough!