The Cafe Book-Read it or Wait

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 5, 2011

Again many of you know I am switching to daily 5 this year for the first time. Just finished reading The Daily 5 and have purchased The Cafe Book. Do you recommend I read this immediately after, wait until I attempt D5 in my class, or implement it after this school year?

I skimmed through the book and it seems a bit confusing from what I have seen so far.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 6, 2011

I'd read it now, then you could implement things as you get more comfortable with it.

4. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 6, 2011

The Cafe book outlines all of the reading strategies and how they can be taught to students one-on-one while the rest of the class is doing their daily 5. I do think it is a lot to take in, but I think it has been good for me, just hearing how they explain and practice reading strategies. I'd read it now if you have time.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

I'd read it now. The Daily 5 is the structure, CAFE is the teaching.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

Yes it is a lot t take in. Especially since I am reading how to implement it before school starts.

I looked at it a little more this morning. I guess you guys are right. I will begin to read it tonight.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

It's a quick read, but packed with a lot of information. Don't feel bad if you refer to it throughout the year for more ideas and implementation.

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

I would read it, but then wait to implement the things in Cafe until you are comfortable with the Daily 5 routine. I would also look at the strategies taught in Cafe, and see where they match up with your reading program. Then teach each strategy(whole group) as it is taught in your reading program. It made life a lot simpler when I was implementing both Daily 5 and Cafe last year.

9. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 6, 2011

I would read it now. I think the books work well together.