The board meeting is today should I go?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by futureteach24, Jun 13, 2012.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Jun 13, 2012

I "was going to the board" and would then get a contract. Should I go to the meeting? Did you go to yours? Thanks!

I'll be a first year teacher, btw.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2012

It might be fun to begin your career attending the meeting where they approve you. Sometimes the board asks if any new teachers are in attendance and they let you stand up and be congratulated.

I go to as many board meetings as I can just to find out what's going on in the district first hand.

And...congratulations!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

If you are available, I would attend. It isn't necessary but it would be a nice gesture.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2012

Chances are your appointment will be approved during the executive session and not in the public session (all personnel matters are in my district), but if you're available it might be fun to go. :)

6. MathGeek

MathGeek Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

I would go, it makes a good impression on the board. Plus it shows the administration that you care. When I got hired for my first job I went (even though it was 2 hours away from where I was currently living) and I know they really appreciated it.

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 13, 2012

I do attend a fair number of board meetings just to keep a finger on the pulse of the district. I think it would be fine if you attended, but it is also not necessary. Very few new employees actually attend the meeting where their contract is approved.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2012

Why not? If it isn't a grand inconvenience, it would probably be a thrill for you and a pleasure for them.

9. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 13, 2012

I was required to go! They made us stand up, the assistant superintendent said a little bit about each new hire, and we had a "meet and greet" with the board members after the meeting.

When I went, it was interesting to hear what exactly they discuss at a board meeting. It kind of gave me an "introduction" to the district. With that being said, it might be beneficial to go.

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

It would be nice to go, just to meet the players and find out more about the district you will be working for.