The best product for hanging posters...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JustMe, Aug 8, 2006.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2006

I've had a couple posters fall down this week. They were hung using the usually-awesome 3M Command Strips. My posters are rather large and laminated with a thick film.

What product have you found that works well on classic, painted cinder blocks?

THANKS!!

3. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

I used to have cinder blocks (now I have metal walls).. anyway, what I would do was attach the posters to string.. the tops of my walls (just below the ceiling) had a wooden strip that went around the room, and I attached the end of the strings to that. Since the posters were not hanging from the ceiling (technically) I never got in trouble with the fire inspector.

Not the answer you were looking for, I'm sure.. but best I can do!

4. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 8, 2006

I use "high adhesive" masking tape, purchased at a paint store...not KMart, WalMart, or an office store. It really works for holding heavier posters up on the wall.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

Sticki-clips might work but you have to put them on the top and on the bottom of the posters.

6. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Aug 8, 2006

I used a lot of the 3M double sided foam tape. Only use it on things you have laminated though it is a pain to get off the posters.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2006

Hot glue. Or those stikki-clips.

8. cactusfive

cactusfive Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I use gorilla tape.

9. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Have students take turns holding them up.... OK just kidding, all these ideas sound wonderful.

In my dorm room last year none of my posters would stay up, they all have cardboard backing. Nothing I tried worked, and we're not allowed to use pins or anything. So hopefully I'll find *something* that works this year.

10. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Jenni, you made me laugh soooo hard! :) I could just picture a room with the poor lil kiddos sitting there holding stuff up all day.

Now, on to the question, I have the cinderblock walls as well... Not a huge fan, but I have found that the Stikki-Clips people make Stikki-Wax. It has held up the posters on my wall through the 103 degrees, 100% humidity, no a/c room this summer, so I am quite a fan. It comes in a box of about 5 sticks of it, and you just tear, or cut off, what you need, depending on the weight or size of the object and it stays until you pull it off. I love it!

11. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Hey Miz S you know they'd fight for that job the first few times you offered it! Now.. I do think they'd get bored or tired after a while.. but you know they'd love it the first time you asked. Heavens these daycare kids wanted to help scrub toys with tooth brushes! Sounds like an old fasioned detention to me!

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2006

Thanks everyone...I personally hate those little Stikki-Clips (visually) but I think I'll try the Stikki-Wax. I thought about the string idea because I used that in another classroom but I don't think it would be ideal in my situation. Actually, maybe I'll run a test...some tape, some hot glue, some Stikki-Wax...I'll see how it goes.

Again, thanks to everyone. Oh, and Jenni, you are so right...you would have a dozen kiddos upset because they didn't get to hold the posters! :)

13. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

have the students write a hypothesis, keep track.. it might be fun:)

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 9, 2006

MAUVALUS TAPE ROCKS!!!!!

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2006

I've used those wax clips, and they work, but the best thing that really works for me is a hot glue gun. Laminate first, and make sure that the things you're hanging are going to be pretty permanent, because it's a lot of work to pick off the excess glue when you remove them, but it holds!

I read a tip this year that I'm going to try...hot glue clothespins right to the wall and use them to clip children's work or posters or whatever.
    Kim

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

On regular walls, yeah I like it, but on slick surfaces (taping things to white board) and "raw" bricks, it doesn't work well at all. (Although I will freely admit, since the brick seems to crumble all over whatever I stick on it, no tape will work there, I have to use hot glue.) I have certain laminated sheets that get stuck on my side white board. The mauvalus tape would not hold them even a few days. Since it works so well everywhere else I was really surprised.

17. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 9, 2006

I have chipped the paint by using both hot glue and double-sided tape so I stay away from those. Although low temp hot glue guns seem to do much less damage. Tartan painter's tape (looks just like regular masking tape) available at Target is fantastic. I've hung large posters and butcher paper on the walls and it stayed there the entire year without once falling dowm.

18. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I use sticky tack..the blue kind. If you keep your sticky tack in a sealed container you can reuse it all the time. I am using the same sticky tack I used last year. I get mine at Walmart. 97 cents a pack...and nothing has ever fallen off my walls. I can use it on laminated and unlaminated things.

19. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I have heard a lot about this tape, where do you buy it?

20. Lydia

Lydia Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Have you tried poster putty? I remember using that when I was in college. The stuff seems to stick to anything and was removable (but it sometimes left stain marks on the walls). I haven't looked for it in quite some time, though.

21. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 10, 2006

Hot glue has worked for me. So far I haven't peeled any paint.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

I bought it at School Aids.

23. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

So if you had a walmart, a fred meyer, and a home depot to shop from, what type of poster fasteners would you buy for metal walls? These are a bit textured (and painted) so magnets, thumbtacks, and staples do not work.

24. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I would try 3m hooks? good luck

25. Ehlena99

Ehlena99 New Member

Aug 10, 2006

Honestly, the best product I have found (as a vbs director and student teacher) is called GlueDots. They are exactly what they say. Small dabs of glue on wax paper rolled up, with something like 200 of them in the box for $4.99. They will stick to anything, and will stick until you rip it down. I have stuck posters and paper and laminated items to cinder block, wood, drywall, paint, anything you can think of. And there was only one time it peeled paint- a place where the paint was already chipped. You do have to be careful because it will rip non-laminated items, but they are worth it. Check out Group publishing's outlet, under Fiesta Supplies. I also found them by searching for Glue Dots, but they are much more expensive and you have to buy many more.

26. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Aug 10, 2006

Be careful with the stikkiwax -- last year I got some to use in my classroom and all of my laminated posters fell down! They wouldn't stick to the wax! It stayed on the wall with no problem.

Last year after all of my posters fell down from the stikkiwax incident, I went to Lowe's and bought this bright green tape - it's a name brand - and it was labeled extra sticky. It worked very, very well. I rarely had any problems with posters falling down.

27. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

That could be a Science Fair Project.

I use hot glue. I'm using stikki clips for a poster this year. I used them last year for my calendar numbers and they held up all year.