The best interview of my life!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eireannashley, Jun 6, 2011.

1. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

I left Chicago on Thursday and flew to CO for 3 interviews. Two, I happened to get after calling principals to say I was in the area, and the third was the one I went out for.

It is second grade (my dream grade) and is in an amazing district. The interview went so well! I have never had such a great experience! I used a lot of the interview questions on this site to help me prepare and it helped so much! Thank you everyone!

About 2 hours after the interview the principal (who makes hiring decisions) called to let me know that she called the reference I had suggested (she asked which I wanted her to call) and that she has left school for the day so she would try her today. She also said I did great at the interview and the other teachers loved me. She didn't want me wondering all weekend and needed to run the background check.

I am so excited! This is my dream job! I hope she wouldn't tell me that without the intention of offering me the job, but I guess I just have to wait!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 6, 2011

Wonderful! Congrats on having such a good experience and kudos for thinking of contacting the other schools on the off-chance they could see you. Keep us in the loop.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

Wow! Congrats on the great interview! :) Keep us updated on the outcome!

5. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2011

Congratulations! Keep us posted!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 6, 2011

Awesome! The trip was with it!

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 6, 2011

Woohoo!

8. Luv2Teaching

Luv2Teaching Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

Congrats!!

Congrats on the great interviews!! What schools did you interview at? I live in CO!! Hope you get the job!!

9. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 6, 2011

Sounds very positive!!! Good luck!!! :)

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

I would like to know too! :p There are school districts out there interviewing and hiring teachers!!!! :eek:

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 6, 2011

fingers crossed for you ~ sounds great :)

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

That's great!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2011

That sounds wonderful!!

Fingers crossed!

How did the other 2 go?

14. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

Well I just got the call. There was another teacher at a different school in the district who was let go. She wanted the job that they were writing up a contract for to give to ME!

The principal said she wanted to give it to me but it was out of her hands.

I.am.so.ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

there are no words.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2011

Oh, I'm so very sorry.

But the fact that she thought to call you speaks volumes. It's a long, long time between now and the fall; it's entirely possible that she'll have another opening.

16. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 6, 2011

I'm so sorry. How frustrating but as Alice said, it does say a lot that the P personally called you to let you know. Chin up! :)

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 6, 2011

:( I am so sorry

But you have made a great impression on this P and P's talk to other P's. So perhaps this P will recommend you for other positions.

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 6, 2011

Oh, what a letdown. But, it's true--you've made a great impression. They will remember you. Send a really nice, gracious thank-you letter and you never know. Something else will open up, and they may call you back!

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 6, 2011

excellent idea Rainbowbird ~ I think you should do this :thumb: I know it might be hard to write a thank you about not getting a job, but you will leave a great and professional impression

20. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

I feel so defeated. It has been over 2 years of searching with no luck. I know some people have searched longer, but I can not take it anymore. My life is on hold. I am 25 years old and jobless and on hold until I can get a job.

I can't keep doing this. I know there are other people in this position, but I am this close to giving up and switching careers, which I really do not want to do, but I just can't do it.

21. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jun 6, 2011

Keep your head up! I had an interview last Sept that went great. Then I got the message from the principal that they had someone else they felt they needed to give the job to, but she wanted to help me in everyway possible. I got a call a week later for another interview where the principal requested me. I interviewed at 2:00 pm and was offered the job at 8:00 am the next morning. Send a really positive Thank You card and the P will remember you for all the right reasons!!!

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 6, 2011

Aw, I'm so sorry. :( That must be devastating. But remember, you were SO CLOSE. The P saw what an amazing teacher you are, and wanted you! If the P has something else open up or hears of something else in the district, you'll likely get a call! And even if that does not happen, take this experience as an encouragement - if this Principal saw how amazing you are, then others will see it, too!! It is still only the beginning of June - schools aren't even out in my area - and who knows what will happen between now and the beginning of the school year??

Also, I don't understand why they would have posted and interviewed for a job when they had layoffs...my mom was RIFd this year, but she ended up staying on but moving grades and schools - that job was never advertised outside of the school district because they knew they had enough RIFd teachers to fill it and two more jobs.

Good luck...I truly hope something else opens up for you!!!

23. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jun 7, 2011

That stinks.

It is so early in the hiring season, I do agree that you should send a gracious email to the principal. Let him know that if he has any other openings you would be happy to chat with him about them.

Not sure if it is comforting at all but the same things are happening everywhere. They have to serve the teachers in-district first if they are cut due to staffing reduction.

Good luck!

24. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 7, 2011

I know it's very hard. But you are SO young. You have a long time to get this career going. Give it some time...if you don't find a full-time job, consider a long-term sub position. Those often turn into full-time assignments. Speaking here as a 44 year-old mom who is trying to get back in after taking time off to raise my kids...I feel like an old-timer, so you def. should not feel like being 25 is reason to move on and switch careers! Based on your interviewing experiences, you seem like a very marketable, competitive candidate. It is just a matter of time before you find something. Hang in there!

(BTW, I signed my first contract when I was 24 years old--and it was the end of August b/c someone had quit in the summer. So you never know!)

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 7, 2011

I am sure the principal is frustrated too. I would think positively and remember that this principal has contacts and your name might be the first that he/she recommends when he/she hears of an opening in either that school or another in the district. Keep the faith!

26. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 7, 2011

:hugs:
    I know this is difficult. I've been in the same situation. I had three interviews in two days. All of them went well. I felt confident in my answers, the interview flowed easily, and the principals all expressed interest in me. I didn't get any of those jobs. The following week I interviewed on a Tuesday, and the principal called me Wednesday afternoon hours before back to school welcome to offer me the job.
    I know it's heartbreaking right now but don't give up! If you need to cry then do so and let out your frustration. After that breathe, refocus, and keep going!

27. SwimPenumbra

SwimPenumbra Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

Nowadays, it is a buyers' market.
    I don't know how it is in Colorado; but boy, I got rejection letters from neighboring counties within the state. As Alice mentioned, they don't care where you are from, either they want people to fill up postions or they want to see more people to meet the quota.
    There are 2 major factors in this market: 1. What is the postion? (Sp.ed, math, science are the best 3) 2. Do you have some connections? (I am in science, and I remembered one of my supervising teachers used to tell me that " Since you don't know somebody, you don't have any chance if there are not more than 10 positons open this year." I don't want to comment on it at all. The good news is you are still very young, like me, so nothing at this stage can really hurt you. Cheer up, no big deal!

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 7, 2011

Do.Not.Give.Up!

I was rejected from the best interview I ever had, only to be called a couple weeks later because the teacher they gave it to had to back out. You never know! Keep your head up, and keep trying!

29. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

Where I live, by law they must advertise for the position even if they know they will have to fill it internally.

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

I'm sorry that this happened to you. As other posters have said it's still early and maybe this principal will have another opening later in the summer.

31. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 8, 2011

I remember seeing something about that kind of policy on another thread - I'm glad they don't do things that way here! How frustrating!! :(