The best gift you got FOR somebody

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 25, 2008

My favorite part of Christmas is seeing everybody's reaction to what they got. I love it when I'm able to get "the" gift. I love seeing how happy that person is.

I posted this on another thread, but I have to share again.

A few weeks ago, when we were flipping through the paper, my uncle spotted a bbq set in the sears ad. Instead of regular grips, it had screwdriver grips, and it has little wrench cut outs in the spatula, the space between the tongs of the fork, and in the curve of the tongs. He NEVER reacts to stuff he sees advertised, but he did to this bbp set, so I ran out and got it first chance I got. Anyway, he's not much of a present person, so I hid it under the tree behind the boys' stuff after he went to bed last night. As the boys were opening their presents, my oldest spotted that one and got all excited and told him that there was one with his name on it. My uncle shot me this death look and said something that inolved explitives, but opened it just because the boys were curious.

He totally flipped. He was sooooooooo happy he even ran outside to show it to the neighbors. He was more excited over his new bbq set than the boys were for their whole christmas. In fact, he's STILL bouncing around all happy and excited, though peeved that we're out of propane so he can't cook anything. He's threatening to use them to make breakfast in the morning :D. I'm getting such a kick out of how happy he is.

So, what's the best gift that you got for somebody this year?

3. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Dec 25, 2008

My mom cried over a necklace that said STRENGTH. She has gone thru a lot this year and had to be very strong. I am super proud of her.

Hubby was all frisky over the ROKU player. He kept telling me how much he loved it! Technology stuff makes him amorous. :love: TMI, I know!

4. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Dec 25, 2008

I made most people a crocheted scarf this year... my future sister in law has been wearing hers for the past few days (I gave it to her early, since I wouldn't see her). :) My husband has also been wearing his at every chance he can.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 25, 2008

As most everyone knows by now, I have an 11-month old son. So for each of his grandparents, I made a hardcover photo book with pictures from his "First Year." They LOVED it... well, my mom and godmother did, as did MIL (I think). FIL and step-MIL haven't seen theirs yet. Anyway, it was nice seeing that they appreciated the time and effort I put into it... as well as getting to share pics of my little monkey!

Also, this isn't really a gift, but I wrote a very heartfelt message in my godmother's Christmas card and later she told me it was the nicest thing anyone had EVER told her. =-0 She's such a generous, selfless, amazing individual, and I just took the time to tell her that she is important to me and my family. It made me cry when I realized how few times she's ever heard that.

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Dec 25, 2008

I got professional pictures taken of my brother and I for our mom. She had been saying for years that she would like for us to get some done. We haven't gotten pictures taken together since high school (~8-9 years ago). She really liked them.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2008

I didn't "get" per se, I made it. I had a picture frame, one of those big ones with the cut outs in the mat for family photos. Well I went to the scrapbooking section and got some vellum words, bible verses words about God etc. I made a collage about our family for my husband. He cried. It cost me about $4 and he loved it, I meant it for our room, he made me rearrange the living room pics to put it out there.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 26, 2008

My parents have been a great help to us this year so we wanted to get them something they could enjoy for a while. We got them a one year subscription to Netflix and they can't wait to activate it.

For my son I found a website that sells Lego people individually. He's really into Star Wars so I picked out a few different characters plus extra light sabers. He's been walking around with at least two in his pocket and will randomly take them out to play with. He totally loves them. I am proud of myself for figuring out a way to get them because at a store you have to buy a whole Lego set to get the people. They don't just sell packs of Star Wars characters.

And for my hubby I got him a vegan dessert cookbook and have promised to let him choose one recipe per month that I'll make for him. Assuming I follow through the whole year I know he'll really appreciate it. As a vegan (doesn't eat egg, butter, or dairy) it's rather rare for him to have desserts since most desserts are not made vegan, so this will be a big treat.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 26, 2008

We got my dad a Garmin, and he just came over to the computer to pick it up for the umpteenth time. In fact, it ate breakfast with us. He heard the voice call to him from the computer, ran, got it and brought it back to have some eggs with us. Sheesh.

I got into an argument with my dh last night about gifts. He's in NYC right now with his grandmother, so we haven't had Christmas yet. Because of my job situation, he 'cancelled' Christmas, so I haven't had any money to spend on him. I told him that really bothered me. It's not about material things and money, I understand, but I had thought really hard about something to give him and it feels really terrible not to be able to give it to him. He said that getting gifts for each other is just like going out and buying them for ourselves because the money comes out of our shared account anyhow. It was really frusterating.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 26, 2008

OK I must live in a cave. What is a Garmin? Good thing nobody in my family wanted one. I wouldnt' have known what to get LOL

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 26, 2008

I bought my parents a digital picture frame and memory card. It wasn't an expensive one, I can't afford that, but I spent days scanning old family pictures and had a healthy mix of pictures of past Christmases, us as kids, past vacations, and family members who aren't with us any more. I even managed to find one of my Gram holding the ladder while my dad attempted to climb it. (Long standing joke between him and Gram, because he is afraid of heights.) Everyone was crying and laughing as we sat around and watched the pictures. The grandkids got to "meet" some family members that we lost before they were born. The other best part, because I have all those pictures in digital form I was able to set up a photopage on Snapfish for all my cousins and extended family. So the gift kept giving. (And several of them have the sign-in information and plan on scanning pictures of their own.)

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2008

oh Jem; when DH and I got married (over 20 years ago); I thought the very same way as your husband...My thinking: if I buy DH a gift; it's not really from me cuz we have a shared bank account...but, I had some money saved in my personal savings which was there BEFORE we got married...so, I thought, ok; this is really MY money and I can really buy him a present from ME.

oh dear...I can't believe my mindset was like that. :wub:

We're one; not only in name, but in accounts. :hugs:

Just a little, I do understand where your DH is coming from; but perhaps he's speaking out of frustration at this moment.

:hugs: to you, dear.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2008

Do you think it's quite possible that he's getting you something in NYC and doesn't want you buying him anything?

I don't know why this crossed my mind...you could write him a letter or poem and frame it in an inexpensive frame; that could be your special one-of-a-kind gift to him. :wub:

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2008

A Garmn is a gps system that you can put in the car.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2008

I made a slide show of our recent trip to Disney for the grandparents. I'm so picky it;s not quite finished, but told them & they're excited.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 26, 2008

My uncle was up early and cooking breakfast with his new bbq set. We're out of propane, so he just used them instead of regular kitchen stuff :D

17. reverie

reverie Companion

Dec 26, 2008

I bought my boyfriend a Tarvaris Jackson jersey and I went through one crazy night to have Tarvaris sign it! He loved it.

18. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Dec 26, 2008

You know, he's right. You have the wonderful opportunity to be creative with his gift (that doesn't cost much, if anything). I know he would appreciate it more than one you spent money on. Spend a day doing something he enjoys that you don't or hit a flea market and find something vintage he may like. You are much more creative than I am...you will think of something great!

19. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Dec 26, 2008

:lol: Now that is excitement and love! I'm really jealous of your manny!

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 26, 2008

AHHHH...thank you.

21. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 26, 2008

A Garmin GPS for my daughter's car.

Unfortunately, she did not inherit my sense of direction or love of studying maps. I can spend hours looking over maps. :)

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 26, 2008

My son his Xbox 360. I had him believing that we wouldn't be able to afford it this month, maybe for his birthday. He had no clue. He was so excited. He has worked hard this year and has straight A's. He is on block scheduling, so he is through with math and social studies. Next semester it is English and science. He deserved a reward for doing so well. He scored highest in his class on his algebra test that the state requires. Plus he placed advanced, so he will be able to clept out of Algebra II if he wants.

I have been hugged a hundred times by a big 15 year old. He is my football lineman, so he is a big boy to be hugging his mother. He and I are best buddies. I am so proud of him.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 27, 2008

Considering that I've practically always been a student & had just a part-time job, the best gifts I've ever gotten was a new TV for my parents once & a $300 bag for my mom once. That's doing pretty well for me! ;)

Of course I know it's not about the money, but that we're all healthy & able to spend another Christmas together. But, I'm glad I was able to buy a couple of really nice things considering the financial situation I was in.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 27, 2008

The common thread in the presents that made the most impact isn't the money, obviously, because the amounts paid are clearly all over the map. Instead, it's the thought - in some cases, making a dream come true, in other cases finding or making and then sharing. There's nothing more fun to give than the present that is just right, and more than just right, for the recipient.

(Insert here the sound of TG purring on behalf of these givers and recipients.)

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2008

This year's big hit was the Wii. I'm sure that you all heard Julia squeal, over and over again "I can't BELIEVE you got us a Wii.!!" It hasn't been off for more than an hour since they opened it.

My favorite gift ever, though, was the year I got Peter a dog. He had grown up with one, but we had never had one as a couple. In 1994 his dad had a triple bypass on December 21, and his uncle died on Christmas Eve. It was, without a doubt, the worst Christmas ever! So the following year, I knew I had to make it up for him, and got him a yellow labrador. ("Missie", short for Mistletoe.)

The kids still ask us to tell the story of how I suprised him with Missie.

26. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Dec 27, 2008

Hi, care to share the Lego website? Thanks!

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 27, 2008

I don't think good gifts have anything to do with how much they cost. I was able to make my uncle VERY happy with a $20 gift. He's STILL excited about it. I just heard him on the phone going on and on about his great new bbq set. You'd think, to hear him talk, he'd won the lottery. It's all about getting something that has a particular meaning to somebody, or getting them something they really want, but would never buy for themselves, regardless of price.

28. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Dec 27, 2008

I got my parents snow for Christmas this year. I bought 2 of the huge bags of Insta-Snow and my sister and I were sneaky enough to pull off mixing it all up and dumping it in the driveway. My mom cried when she saw her very own "white Christmas"! The whole family played in it for HOURS on Christmas, and then all the boys got to spend a few hours sweeping it up, hehe.

Everyone agreed that it will be extremely hard to top that gift in the future.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2008

So, tell me about this Insta-snow.

I live in NY, so I've never seen the "Insta" variety. Is it cold? Does it melt? Does it look and feel (and taste) like the real thing?

What a remarkably wonderful gift!!

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2008

The best reaction would have had to have been my sister's giant cupcake. haha. We were shopping one day and saw the giant cupcake pan

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/181-1932269-9599534?ASIN=B0010T3020&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0010T3020|Wilton_Giant_Cupcake_Cast_Pan&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0010T3020&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

And she mentioned she wanted one. Then she said, wait, i don't want that. I don't bake. So I bought it, baked the cake, decorated it all Christmas-y, and actually put it in a box and wrapped it. (Not easy). I put it out on the porch so it wouldn't melt, and I kept saying, "I wonder what that present is out on the porch???" Finally my sister was like, ok, I am intrigued. She opened it and started screaming. She said it was her favorite and she has been slowly eating it by herself. lol.

I got my little little sister a keyboard and she played it allll day. My dad gave me some dirty looks for that one. haha.

I also got my brother some tie chains, but I put them in a larger box full of ketchup packets. lol.

My BF got a book called "Cubicle Warfare" and he didn't put it down all day. It's a book of pranks to play on people at work, and since he has an ongoing war with another co-worker, I thoguht it would like it. He just sat there and giggled over it all day. I said, PLEASE don't lose your job. lol.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2008

Oboy! A story?

32. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 28, 2008

My husband died in March so I made a scrapbook of him and his son. I'm giving it to my stepson but it is a present for my late husband as well. He was so scared that his son would forget him since his son is so young. My stepson was only nine when his father died.

I know my stepson will not count it as the best gift he got this year as it isn't something that requires batteries or power, but perhaps when he is older, he will cherish it. I'm giving it to him tomorrow.

I had to wipe tears off the pictures a few times. I wrote my stepson a letter to put on the last page and cried quite a bit as I typed.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2008

That's a tremendous gift, teacherintexas.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2008

What a wonderful thing you did, teacherintexas.

My sympathies on the loss of your husband.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2008

Well, not a great one. THe kids are always asking to hear the stories of before they were born, or the stories of when I was little. (I'm one of 5, and all my siblings refer to me as the "white sheep" in a family of black sheep. There are lots of stories.) Anyway, here goes;

I knew that I had to get Peter a fabulous gift that Christmas, after the horrendous Christmas he had had the previous year. After a while, I knew that it had to be a dog.

I did tons of research-- and this was before I had any clue of the internet. I got a few books from the school library, and asked anyone who would listen about dog breeds. I finally settled on a lab. I decided on a yellow, figuring they would be easier to photograph. I went to the local puppy store, and worked it all out. I chose the dog, decided on all the supplies, and agreed that I would pick the dog up on Christmas Eve morning.

Then, as now, Christmas Eve morning was usually busy. So I told Peter that I was going out to pick up his gift, and that it was big; I would need his help getting it out of the car. (I WANTED him home when I got there!!!) All he could think was: Not another TV!!!! We had 2 TVs for the 2 of us, there was no need for another.

I was gone for about an hour, then pulled into the driveway and honked the horn. He pasted a smile on, and came out. The look on his face when he realized that the gift was Missie (and not another TV) is one I'll always treasure!

36. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 28, 2008

It's http://www.bricklink.com/index.asp

If you're looking for the minifigures just click on "buy" and then at the top of the page they list categories and one of them is "minifigs" and then you can browse categories in there. Shipping varies from seller to seller, but it's generally not outrageous. I found it better than ebay as far as prices, and it beats having to wait for an auction to end to see if you can get the item and how much it'll cost you. My son would love a Darth Vader or Yoda but they are quite pricy.

37. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Dec 28, 2008

Thanks! (I have a Legomaniac in residence here.....:rolleyes:)

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 28, 2008

LOL I've got to get one of these!!! :lol:

39. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008

40. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Dec 28, 2008

I got it from www.stevespanglerscience.com ... I bought a really small bag to try and fell in love with the product. I made it with my second graders and with my stepdaughter's second grade class at her holiday party also.

It comes as a super-fine powder and you mix it with water. Then it expands and turns white and snowy. It is cold and wet and fluffy just like the real thing, but you definitely can't eat it (in fact, it feels kind of gross if it gets in your mouth; I learned that the hard way during our snow fight :whistle:). It feels almost just like snow-- close enough that we Phoenicians don't notice too much :lol: It doesn't make very good snowballs, though. It never melts because it is just a polymer, but it does dry out so you can pack it up and play whenever you want, which is nice!!

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2008

Aw, that's a fine story, Alice. It has a happy ending. (Christmas brings out the little-kid-needing-happy-ending in me. Even more than usual, that is.)