The Battle Wages On

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Apr 8, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 8, 2009

So I posted a few weeks ago about several teachers who are making my life you know what. Well today I find out that they are telling other teachers that the work I hang up in the hallway - I write those essays myself. You see I dictate letter for letter what I want the kids to write-it's just for show. Can you believe that? I have 23 kids in my class and I post 2 different things in the hall each week - who could find the time to dictate every sound? (Oh yeah, I forgot, I don't teach anything). My kids work very hard from day one to become the writers they are. I conference with them like a typical writer's workshop or try to help them come up with a topic or organize their thoughts - but would never... ugh! :mad:

And this was the real kicker-- my nemesis and her lackey did these projects with their classes (had no connection at all to actual learning). This morning they proceeded to post them in our hallway - over mine and another teachers classwork that was hanging there. There is a solid wall across the hall from us where we display our work, don't ask me what's wrong with their wall. I had moved some of poster boards down, so as not to block our work and they moved them back. I saw one of them in the hall and asked about it - she told me if I wanted my "artwork" posted (it was writing and a very cool project that actually applied to what we are teaching) that I should post it inside my classroom.

I really, really pray they do not move me to that grade level next year. Can you sue a school for driving you to drink? (Completely kidding by the way, not the suing or drinking type). I know there's nothing I can do but ignore it, just thought it might feel better to vent.:|:thanks:

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Apr 8, 2009

They are a very sick and jealous pair. I think you should speak to your supervisor about what is going on,and be sure to get as far away from them as you can next year.I like your idea about suing the schools for affecting your health,but the courts would have time for very few other cases.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2009

EEk- Why not just ask very innocently of your principal to clarify for your 'bulletin board' and hallway display procedures...Seems to me everyone should have their own 'space'....:dizzy:

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 8, 2009

I agree!:|

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 8, 2009

Thanks guys! The problem is they are very loud and everyone is pretty much scared of them, including the administration. Year after year they drive out people on their own grade level but it doesn't make a difference. If they want something done a certain way, it's allowed. Our administrators just roll their eyes and say that's how they are. Once they were asked to come observe all the Kinder classes and then we met to talk with them. It was really just a criticism session - what we should be doing, not be doing. One of the teachers was just bawling. No administrator would come sit in even after I asked. That teacher they didn't like was then told she had to move to 5th Grade (which they knew would make her quit).

We had a meeting last week where we were told we had to do a training on-line and my nemesis was asking "why do we have to do this? This is just a waste of time". She outright said she wouldn't be completing it. Nothing will happen. It just amazes me what some people can get away with. Sigh! Thanks again for letting me vent. :thanks:

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 8, 2009

Make sure you take a picture of their work posted on top of your work. I think you're going to need documentation. Is your principal at all supportive of you? Fair? Then you need to bring her/him into the hallway and show what is going on.

8. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Apr 8, 2009

Gosh that is crazy. Wouldn't you think that all teachers would just be nice and loving and get along? =)

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 8, 2009

I don't know how you deal with it! Teaching is hard enough on its own and then to deal with crazy/mean co-workers is even worse.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 8, 2009

As bad of a slight to you this is, it is more degrading to the kids! Those poor kids worked hard on their writing, then to have TEACHERS degrade their work and say they didn't do it on their own!! As a parent, I would be furious!

11. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 8, 2009

I can't believe they posted work OVER what you had up. OMG!! How rude. It's hard to believe that people like this TEACH our children. Ack!

I agree with the others on documenting everything. They sound vicious and spiteful and it will help to cover yourself. Even it if seems petty or silly, document it!

I don't know what I would do about the artwork. The big bold brave person in me says to remove it and take it to them, telling them where their area is. The realistic person says I'd probably just get mine down and post it somewhere else with a great title and flashing lights. :)

Prayers for you for patience and strength in dealing with this.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 8, 2009

That was my first reaction. As a parent I would pounding down the doors of the administration demanding the teachers be formally reprimanded.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2009

Wait. You dictate to kindergarteners and they actually write it?

If that's the case YOU ARE FREAKING AWESOME! A true teaching goddess. Only a master could pull off such a feat. I only wish I could dictate to my first graders and have them actually write what I say.

Those people spreading these rumors must either really like you or have no clue what goes on in a Kinder classroom.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 8, 2009

I vote both!

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2009

:hugs: to you...I cam't imagine how awful it must be for you. I agree that you need to document everything. Hang in there!

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 12, 2009

Thanks again guys! It does really feel better to vent. Sarge you crack me up.

Well I did find out that I am definitely not going to have to move to another grade level (Yahoo!). Now with my luck she'll move one of them to my grade! I just feel like such a terrible person, everytime I see them I'm thinking - please just quit, please just quit. I've never felt such animosity toward anyone before. Of course, I won't show it because I'm a professional but some days that's very hard to do.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2009

Why do they have so much power over the administration? There are plenty of teachers looking for jobs.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 12, 2009

Glad to hear your good news :D

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 12, 2009

Gather your power and resources and become the "power" teacher and a model to everyone else.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 12, 2009

Because one has 27,000 years of experience (I think it's really 23, I should know she says it in every conversation and meeting). A lot of the administrators don't have much actual classroom experience, so they think who am I to argue? Parents actually vie for a place in her classroom because they think because she has this loud personality that she is a good teacher. However parents of staff kids send their kids to other schools rather than have the choice between the 2 of them.

Thanks Tasha!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2009

Wow, Kinder. I don't see how you deal with these two. I would take their work down that they posted over your kids and put it in a pile by their wall. Can you go up the chain of command to the assistant super since your admin isn't doing anything about it? These type of teachers really make me wonder why there are so many teachers who would do an excellent job, but don't have jobs.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 13, 2009

What makes me sad is that these people are teachers, who children are supposed to look up to. I would not want a loud rude person to teach my children.

23. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2009

Some people have to belittle others or make life difficult for others just to try to build up their concept of themselves. Hold your head up high and go about your business. Prayers for you!

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Apr 13, 2009

You know what? STAND STRONG. Teachers sometimes have to endure cruelty beyond belief. I would still go to administration and tell them point blank about their "fright tactics". No teachers should have to be "bullied". Does your district have an anti-bullying policy? Could you address your district if your school does not respond appropriately? If you are private school, isn't there someone of sorts who watches over the school? Unfair... and you don't have to endure this!!

25. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 15, 2009

I wish I had the nerve to do that STG. My only fear is that it will make it worse and I also feel like it's tattling, you know. I was talking to one of the poor teachers stuck on their team and she said they literally will be obnoxious to her and then say "you better not tell anyone". That sounds like a bully to me.

Another teacher came to me to tell me what they were saying about my class writing-so it's definitely going around, but she said it was just so ridiculous-she didn't believe it (her son is going to be in my class next year). I seriously considered sending an e-mail and copying my administrators inviting the teachers to come observe a writing lesson so they can see my kids in action. Unfortunately, that proabably wouldn't stop them either.

I'm just going to take solace in the fact that I am not bitter and negative like that. I couldn't live with myself if I spoke to people that way and I truly believe what goes around comes around. We'll see what happens next year-supposedly the administration is going to try and split the power duo up, time will tell.

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2009

You need to remember the difference between tattling and reporting. This is reporting because it is hurting you, your students, and your school. If you don't speak up, they are just going to continue. You need to find it in yourself to go to a higher level or they will never stop. And document everything. Its the only way to change things. And your stress and health isn't worth the aggravation these two are putting you through. GO REPORT IT!!

27. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2009

Let me just add that if I had a child in your class, I would be furious if I heard even a rumor of this. You owe it to yourself and your students (along with their families) to take care of this problem.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2009

I AM SO SICK OF ADMINISTRATORS WITH NO ABILITY TO LEAD. GRRRR!!!!

29. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 17, 2009

If it was a student saying/doing things like that to another student, wouldn't you report them for bullying? So what's the difference? I mean it could border on harrasment if they are threatening people "not to tell". If the P won't help go up the chain! A student doing things like that would be reported and possibly expelled depending on the threats. (and they are threats..."don't tell or else".)

30. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

Well, I didn't think I could get any more mad... We all received an e-mail from the P early in the week with a schedule for professional development. I had to go in the afternoon on Thurs and the morning today. So I come back today and my kids run up and tell me they had to go to room 10 and read a bunch of words for the
    1st Grade teacher. So I go down to the room and one of my students is being tested with an official reading inventory. I asked the teacher what was going on and she said that one of my kids said "hey ms. blah blah I can read" so she had them come read to her. What a bunch of baloney. I marched down to my administration - the only one in their office was my AP and so I let him know.

What is the purpose of testing my class and by the way, waiting until I was gone to do so? She would be absolutely livid if anyone did that with her class. And I don't know whether her intention is to discredit me with the administration or with parents (no regard for confidentiality and I have no control over what results she shows to whom) or what, but I have no way of verifying those test results. 6 of my kids are reading on a 2nd grade level, about 10 are on a 1st Grade level, the rest ARE reading but on a Kinder level. It was just word inventory so she couldn't even determine actual fluency. Maybe she would have been surprised and how well they did and doctor the results.

The AP said he would "take care of it" that is was very unprofessional, but we'll see what that means. It's just never-ending. I literally had to stop in the hall and collect myself before going to that teacher's room, my heart was just pounding through my chest.

31. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

OMG It never ends for you does it?!! That teacher is just on a rampage for some sad reason. I'm glad you went and let your AP know. Hopefully he will follow up on it. In the meantime, keep taking the high road as you have been.

32. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

My goodness! I don't understand why they would stoop so low to discredit a good teacher. I really hope your principal does as promised and splits them up. They should both also get assigned to a grade other than first (and k so you don't have to deal with them). They both need to be taken out of their element.