The Bathroom

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Clay Morgan, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Apr 14, 2016

So here's a weird one.

I teach a 7th grade boys class that is immediately following their lunch. It seems like the most uttered question/sentence in the class is "Mr. Morgan, may I got to the restroom?"

I have mixed feelings. On the one had, they are coming from lunch so they've got A LOT of time to take care of the restroom before class starts. On the other hand, I know that personally, 30 or 40 minutes after eating a meal, I have to go to the restroom myself.

I go back and forth between "You just had 30 minutes to take care of your business so sit down," and "who am I to tell them what their physical needs are?"

I don't really have a question. It's just one of those tough balancing acts, isn't it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2016

Give bathroom tickets. They can use x amount of tickets per marking period for the bathroom. They turn in a timer to you each time they go. When they run out of tix, no more bath room.

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 13, 2016

We did the ticket routine, but the kids who used up all their tickets ended up saying it was an emergency (who am I to judge), claiming they had a "girl" problem, coming in with notes from home stating that their child needed to be able to use the bathroom as needed (many times without doctor notes), or parents calling the school and complaining. Now we have one pass for the boys and one for the girls in each room. They have to ask to use it. I often keep kids waiting so I can get through setting up an activity, giving directions, etc. I also tell certain kids they can't leave at the moment and they then forget they NEEDED to go! Amazing, huh? I do seem to have fewer problems with the one pass routine - I think some kids are embarrassed to ask. The amount of bathroom neediness also seems to vary each year.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 13, 2016

Tell them to go at the end of their lunch period, before coming to class. Even if they don't feel like it, tell them to TRY to go. See if that works.
    Works for my preschoolers lol.
    "I don't need to go!"
    "Just TRY"
    *goes* (and more than just a little, I tell ya!)

6. Nab

Nab Companion

Jul 3, 2016

I did my internship at high schools, but one of the high schools had a really huge problem with students always wanting to go to the restroom at the start of classes. What they ended up doing was locking the four student restrooms (two girl restrooms and two boy restrooms) for the first ten minutes of every class period. After that, the restrooms remained open for thirty-five minutes and then were locked again for the remaining ten minutes of class. (They had 5 minutes between each class for students to go to lockers, use the restroom, and get to class. It was a small school - you could literally fast!walk from one end to the other in less than two minutes.)

You could do something similar within your class - they may go to the restroom, but must wait x amount of time (5 minutes?), before they can go. And, only let one go at a time.

On a side note: Do let them go. But, if one or more students goes everyday - he might just be trying to get out of class for a bit. But, seriously - let them go. The other school I interned at (not the one that locked restrooms) had a "study period" that was between first and second hour. It lasted thirty minutes. Teachers were told that students HAD to remain in the study period and COULD NOT LEAVE, no matter what. The students were to work on testing skills and letting them go the restroom was a huge no-no. In the seven weeks I was there, several teachers got in trouble with the principal for letting students go to the restroom. One teacher got so paranoid that when a student begged her to go to the restroom, she refused. That poor boy ended up having diarrhea all over himself, the classroom floor, and it was tracked throughout the school. Sadly (and weirdly) enough, after this terrible thing - the principal cracked down on letting students go to the restroom - the teachers were told to only let students go to the restroom during 2nd, 5th, and 7th periods - and then only during the middle of the hour and only one student per day. Truth be told, I don't think many (if any) teachers followed that rule.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. Ms. Marcy

Ms. Marcy Rookie

Jul 24, 2016

Do you have a sign-out page with the times in and out of the classroom to be initialed by the teacher? Like on the wall or in the student planner? If so, ask the student(s) to notice when they are using the restroom. Tell him/her that you see a pattern: every day after lunch you ask to use the restroom. Let them know that it's time for them to take the responsibility to use the restroom before the recess bell rings. Try to give them strategies they can use to monitor themselves. Let them know the problem it creates in the classroom. Also, another strategy I use is when a student asks to use the restroom, I reply, "Do you really need to go right now, or can it wait the ten minutes? Of course I'll let you go if you really need to use the restroom, but if you can wait, I'd appreciate it." You're not saying "No", but you're giving them pause to consider and kind of making an issue out of it (in a positive way). On our campus, we started propping the restroom doors open (you can't see what's going on inside near the toilets). Consequently, teachers notice crowds, loud talking, and other issues much more frequently. The issues in our bathrooms have decreased dramatically since we began this policy. Perhaps this will help with your issue.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2016

Whether you teach the ittie-bitties or high school, the subject of bathrooms always comes up, doesn't it? We have tried the no one goes the first 10 or last 10, but if the person calling students out doesn't enforce it, nothing is gained. Granted, every one of our students has to go on a list to go to the bathroom, since there can only be one student in there at a time. Same issue arose: if you adhered to the rules, someone always finds ways to circumvent those same rules, sending mixed messages to the students, creating an air of "who cares" with the staff. :whistle:

10. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 27, 2016

My school has planners where we see how many times they've left the class to go to the restroom. They are supposed to be 9 spaces for bathroom breaks/water breaks. And that space only occupies the top half of a page. Some kids were on the back of the page. Two full pages of bathroom breaks within one quarter. I made calls home.
    Apparently mom and dad weren't too happy with kiddos leaving classroom 30+ times within a quarter. (This was for all classes. Not just mine since they take the planner to all their teachers)
    Put a stop to that bad little habit lol
    I did have a student who mentioned the make a wish foundation once and told me he had a scar on his stomach from when he was a kid and had to have surgery. I never would have known. But because I had them read an article dealing with the make a wish foundation, I found out.
    I've learned not to question it with some kids. Some of them have conditions we just don't know about. And he was constantly sick too. It's a balancing act

bella84 likes this.