The Anxious Student

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Christine3, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

Hi all,

I have an issue this year that I never experienced before. In my class, I have a VERY anxious student. The student is a good kid, but worries about so much and takes her grades too seriously. I need some tips that I can teach her on ways to calm herself. She cries frequently and mostly it is about minor issues.

The problem has been so serious that the child is even getting severe migraines. She is currently taking medicine everyday to help prevent the headaches. I was told the medicine even has an anti-anxiety in it.

I spoke with the counselor today and was told she is overwhelmed and frustrated with the severe and frequent migraines that have been occurring. The student also, gets very anxious about keeping up with her work when she is absent. That is understandable, she also is having trouble controlling her emotions.

The anxiety basically fuels the migraines. I feel so bad for this child. She missed about a week of school in September and I gave the class a test. She did not do well as we took this in the 1st week of October. She cried and actually ran out of the room. I felt so sick.

I just need some ways to be able to help her cope. Again, she's a sweet kid and hard worker. I talked to her teacher from last year, and she reported that there was never these kind of issues. Although, she did say the anxiety has always been present.

A 504-plan is being questioned right now. Last years grades prove that she is not applicable for the plan. Although, the migraines started this year, child study is unsure. We are waiting to see how Fridays first progress report turns out.

Please, any advice will be wonderful...

Thanks.

3. synapse

synapse Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

What else, besides events in school and your classroom, is going on in this child's life?