The Answer to Education is in-not too surprising

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Feb 27, 2014.

1. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, I missed it on that one a little. I was thinking college coaches that recruit but public schools have to coach what they have like the teachers......Don't get me started on private school athletics.

I think what messes this up are principals being moved a lot and they cannot get a handle on the new hires or being told to hire #### because their brother in law is ######. I think a school system should make it a priority to follow the new ones in that probationary period to make sure they are worth the hire.

2. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Mar 5, 2014

"Teachers have to teach who shows up. coaches at the high school level have to coach and play who shows up. But P's (like good management anywhere else) can hire/fire their staff"

That's actually not necessarily true...most high school teams have tryouts at the beginning of the season, and coaches can cut those who are not performing as well as someone else. They can also dismiss a player from a team during the season if they end up being a detriment to the team.

3. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 5, 2014

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2014

And yet I hear people on this very board say that they've never seen a bad teacher and only those that need more support. How can an admin figure out in two years (Time to Tenure in CA) which is which?

We just had a new teacher go on leave after being in the classroom less than 2 months. He could have come back if he wanted to despite everything showing he shouldn't. Admins had nothing to do with it, the law did. Thankfully he chose to resign but the fact that he even had the option shows the system is broken and you can't just blame the admins.

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2014

Honestly, I have taught since the late 70s. I have worked with very few lousy teachers. I would have to think hard to remember them. The last 20 years I cannot recall any off hand. On the other hand I work with many very hardworking teachers that, despite the bar raising every year, the curriculum changing, the methods and evaluation process being altered often, are doing a great job. I have kids in their classrooms and very happy about it.