The 5 finger test

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TulipsGirl, Jul 5, 2007.

1. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

I've heard of the 5 finger test: Children open up to any page in the book and start reading. When they get to a word that they dont know, they count 1. If there are 5 words that they don't know on 1 page, then the book is too difficult right now. I think that its good for kids to be able to recognize if a book is a good match for them so I wanted to suggest this for a 6th grader that I am working with. But I wanted to check: Does this "test" apply across all grade levels? Or are older students expected to be able to read books that have more words that are difficult for them?
    My gut says that any more than 5 difficult words could reach frustration level at any grade.
    What do you think?

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

I think you would have to clearly establish the difference between "I have no idea" and "I can use context clues to figure out a meaning"
    If there were 5 words on one page they had no idea how to figure the meaning then I would say it would be to difficult.

4. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

Thats a good point - We've been working A LOT on using context to figure out the meaning so thats an excellent point to bring up with her. Thanx!