The #1 struggle of teachers…

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jfillmore, Jul 25, 2017.

1. jfillmore

jfillmore New Member

Jul 25, 2017

What is the #1 struggle are you most worried about for teaching this school year?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, jfillmore. Your threads have been merged: A to Z Forums policy strongly discourages duplicate threads at the same time by the same member in multiple forums, on grounds that spreading the discussion around dilutes it. For the record, forum veterans don't tend to look for new threads/new posts forum by forum; instead, they use one of the Latest Posts links at the very top of the page to bring up a list of threads launched or posted in since the last time they signed in.

jfillmore likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 25, 2017

Hmmm...

I think it's making sure my seniors are able to graduate. They may finish all their classes, but my state keeps changing the additional requirements. Will Ohio students have to earn so many points on so many tests? Will there be alternative routes? Will some of the tests go away? ACK!

jfillmore likes this.
  5. jfillmore

jfillmore New Member

Jul 25, 2017

TOTALLY. I've taught seniors classes and ensuring they're able to graduate is always a big concern.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2017

This year it's making sure I can balance grad school and teaching. I'm taking two classes this fall, and I'm teaching a new elective. I have four preps total, so it's always a lot of work!

mrsf70 and Leaborb192 like this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2017

I'm not worried. At all.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2017

Whereas I am finishing my last two grad classes this summer - at least for a while. It has been a while since I was not in school while teaching. What will I ever do with the free time? Woe is me. . . :cry:

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2017

I'm not going to get into specifics, but politics at the state level and public opinion is worrisome this year.

That being said, once school starts I will be focused on my kids like always.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2017

I haven't been this nervous going into a school year for quite some time. I have a new P and AP. Our previous admin was pretty "hands off" and I'm getting the sense that new admin is completely the opposite. New P told me last year that she was going to "rock their (the teachers) world." On top of this, my new teammate is coming from new P's school and new P has repeatedly gushed about how she's basically god's gift to teaching. At this point we have one week of summer left and I'm getting nervous that I made the wrong decision by staying at my current school (lots of teachers found other positions). I've worked for truly awful admin in the past, so even without any "red flags" I think I was a little more worried than people who are fortunate enough to have never had that experience and think "it's just change." Obviously I hope my concerns end up being unfounded and that the year is great!

11. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Jul 26, 2017

We had a reasonable Principal at one school that was replaced with a Crony that was out to prove something. Many tried to bail and the district put out the word to other schools not to hire us. At the first faculty meeting he said "you can be fired for...." 27 times (we counted). He was neither reasonable nor effective. He thought highly about himself and the "consultant" he brought with him. Both were basically useless. Both were full of mandates that did nothing except decrease student achievement and teacher moral (both of which had been high). The red flags were parallel to the ground. Good luck with that!

12. ccstwelds

ccstwelds Rookie

Jul 26, 2017

Going to an A B / B A schedule, I teach welding, I have 1 class a day, all day. We used to get juniors in the Spring then they come back as Seniors in September then Graduate in January. So now I'll have Jr's one day and Sr's the next day.

13. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 26, 2017

I don't want to go into specifics, but my school board and principal burned me to the point where I have a lot of distrust right now. It's not so bad that I'm quitting, but I'm anticipating dramatic changes in relationships with certain individuals. I've been sorting through a lot of different feelings and premature questions about what I want to do after this year. It doesn't help that it's a small school, so I'm bond to have colleagues who will try to talk to me about it when I have no intentions of bringing it up. I'm mentally preparing myself to remain friendly and professional as always, but nevertheless, I'm not ready to face the school year.

I'm trying to stay positive, though. Once I can focus on my kids, I think I'll be okay. I have a new classroom theme that I'm excited about, and I'm looking forward to trying out new ideas this year. However, my kids are the only motivation I have for this year, quite frankly.

Ram Ochoa likes this.
  14. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jul 30, 2017

Nothing. I am more excited at the start of the year. I feel like I can (and have) pretty much handled anything.

I know that each year there will be new "focus" areas from administrators. Fine. Whatever it is, I don't stress about it because they usually don't follow up anyway. Overcrowded classes? Been there. Disruptive students? Been there. Curriculum changes? I expect it.

I guess if I had an area that I am concerned about, it is: Can I motivate my students to read? Can I help them improve their writing? Other than that? Not so concerned.

15. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Aug 3, 2017

Biggest worry = the data collection mirrored tests I wrote about in another post. There has not been a day that has gone by this summer that it has not bothered me. I really need about 2 days of quiet and locked in a library to focus on them but with kids at home, that has been impossible this summer.

Lesser worry = my P met with me last year and was suggesting making shorter lessons, resulting in more finished products. I have been trying to modify my lessons and include new ones, keeping quality, without art projects becoming summer camp craft class. I am also trying to align lessons with new state standards that go in effect 2018 school year.

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2017

I am anxious because I am looking for a job in another district and it hasn't happened yet. I don't know what I will be doing. And if I go back to my old district, there will be pros and cons, more cons than pros, though...mainly stemming from a poor climate and toxic atmosphere from an administrator who is simply not qualified to run a school, and with an extremely toxic personality to boot. :(

Ram Ochoa likes this.