That Super Bowl Half time Show was...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebel1, Feb 3, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2013

:yeahthat:

2. Portulaca

Portulaca Rookie

Feb 4, 2013

When I was growing up I got to attend/compete at FFA National Convention twice, one year in issues and the other in communications. (That was about ten years ago, though, when it was in Louisville.) It is certainly a massive production!

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

It annoys me it was changed to just FFA. I know why it was, but :rolleyes:. I attended when it was in Kansas City.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

I find that inappropriate for high schools and in general I'm a prude. :p

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

And who says that is appropriate? :mad:
    Some things are just not age appropriate.:eek:

When I was refereeing Volleyball one HS team had uniforms where the shorts look like the bottom of a 2 piece bathing suit (or granny underwear size) we had to hold the game while a mother gave the coach hell for picking such "sexy" uniforms, the next time we refereed them they had new "trunk" type uniform bottoms. :lol: :haha:

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

Didn't really care about what Beyonce wore. I didn't think it was that appealing, don't care for the leotard look. She was still more covered than a gymnast or a dancer so no big deal there. Just wish she worse something that made her look better. As for her dancing, that was nothing new.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 4, 2013

Here's some links to the kind of dance uniforms I was talking about.

http://www.irvingisd.net/districtweekly/images2/weekly270/Vikas Welcome New Principal.jpg

http://www.purdue.edu/bands/news/images/070125Twirling.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1360/19986416665075388611122.jpg

Those are just the clothes that are expected from a dancer or twirler. When we did Guys and Dolls, I had to find school-appropriate showgirl costumes, which was a challenge. We went with black stockings, black "boy cut" bloomers, and a corset with a tube top underneath to fix the sheer back. That way everything was covered. Many commented that our actors were more covered than the cheerleaders often are...

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

Speaking of cheerleaders.... one night at a football game when the band played this pep song the cheerleaders would do a little dance if they got their act together and wasn't in little clumps of girls talking to one another deciding what cheer of the 4 they had or what formation of the 3 they had to do next. Most were very composed about it except for the cheerleading team's Beyoncé equivalent. Regardless of whether the team was starting to do their little foot movements and pom pom shaking, "Beyoncé" would start her thrusting and grinding and nasty dance to the music. She just looked like a cheap hussy. It was shameful. No wonder the band played that song so much!

Funny uniform though, turtle neck and skirt that showed everything she owned on the bottom.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2013

At our school, all clothes and uniforms must be finger tip length, cover the shoulders, and show no 3 b's exposed (belly, butt, breasts). Yes, we are public. The only group to buck the rule was the volleyball team and they quickly lost the battle.

I may be in the minority.

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

Sad.

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

Isn't the purpose of cheerleaders to get the crowd excited.

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

:rofl:

14. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Feb 4, 2013

Society is progressive and that includes what clothing is deemed "appropriate" or not.

My first year of college, I was in a musical that required me and my female co-lead to be stark naked and have staged "foreplay".

I realize community college is a far cry from high school, but if you think about it, it's really not.

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

Yes, society is progressive. That doesn't always mean what happened is actually "progress" just because progress is in the word progressive.

16. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Feb 4, 2013

It's very subjective, isn't it?

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

What culture is grinding and thrusting a part of??? I saw it, too :confused: Wow, there is actually a culture that is known for their grinding and thrusting?? That's what it was EEK!
    Licking her lips, acting all sexy (ie grinding and thrusting) is just that...trying to be sexual. Don't call it someone imposing what "THEY" think...we aren't idiots. If it walks, quacks, like a duck..... it was intentional. Of course!

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

I figured those were the sort of uniforms you were talking about...and those are the ones I don't find appropriate for high school. I admit to being (though can't really apologize for) pretty extreme in my "modesty standards".

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

What culture grinds and thrusts? Really? I would say all of them, otherwise the culture will go extinct.

20. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

You thought those weren't appropriate for high school, I thought they were extra covered.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

:rofl: Oh how funny, I am laughing so hard at that sentence!!! Great Point, Call!!!!!!!:p
    You DID take my point out of context, however.. Darn you!;)

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

Hey, I'm bot debating things...I'm just stating my opinion. You're more than welcome to think they are "extra covered"...although I will say sounds a bit strange.

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

Had to lighten things up a bit, glad you enjoyed it. I think some people just take some things to seriously. I was speaking with a fellow teacher about some of the language after the game that was caught on tv. I think people should just relax.

24. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Feb 4, 2013

:yeahthat:

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 4, 2013

The dance moves Beyonce performed are a part of her image as a performer. They have been performed at numerous concerts and nationally televised events before this. Faculty members at elementary schools have performed the "Single Ladies" dance at pep rallies. The other dance moves are commonly associated with a dance style called "hip hop" which is a competitive category at high school dance competitions around the country. Other moves were heavily influenced by various Latin and Indian dance styles which were popular at various times during her career when the routines were choreographed.

Beyonce's image is that she is a strong, sexy woman. Of course she intends to be sexy, but she is a very well-trained dancer performing the same dance moves performed around the country by dancers every day.

26. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2013

You didn't miss anything. It was a LOT of booty shaking, and cheer leading kind of thingy. :whistle:
    Rebel1

27. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

Now you are on to something. Next years halftime should just be all of the teams cheerleaders doing a performance.

28. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 4, 2013

Honestly, it's the superbowl. A cesspit of testosterone that's aired on national cable television. What were you guys expecting? A family friendly Sesame Street parade?

Our kids have seen much MUCH worse in their daily television ventures.

I honestly didn't see what people had a problem with.

29. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2013

That would be cool!

They need to get the two teams' cheerleading squads; LET THEM DO A CHEER OFF. Have the public do a phone in of which one was the best, and it's settled.
    Rebel1

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

Hey, I'm not saying it was the worst thing ever...but I think it was, like the majority of stuff on tv, too much.

I saw MUCH, MUCH, MUCH worse on a Carl's Junior commercial today. (Is that what's is called? It's Hardees here.) It was horrible!

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2013

Not sure where the idiot thing came into play...?

32. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2013

Yah, Carls Jr. has some nice commercials.

33. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2013

34. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2013

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2013

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    youth always pushes the envelope, I know I did, But sometimes the progressives take the stairs 3 at a time.:haha:

36. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2013

Really, what culture is that, HeartDrama?

I didn't realize that little blonde southern belles were encouraged to thrust and grind on the sidelines as a cultural thing.

37. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 5, 2013

That is not the farmers in my area. I am not saying that some don't have one or two workhands, but most are small farms ran by families. My son worked as a farmhand this summer. What a great experience for him. He worked hard all day and earned a decent wage for a kid-$12.50 a hour plus a truck. He will be doing it again this summer. And the multimillionaire farmer he works for pays a decent wage, has only one Hispanic worker (who has a truck and home provided for him along with medical) and employs three full time workers. His son, his father, and him are in the fields with is people each day. My uncles are farmers. None of them hire Hispanics. They all hire local men and teenagers to help. So PLEASE don't lump all farmers to your idea of a farmer!

38. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2013

According to the US Dep of Labor, 75% of US agriculture farm workers were born in Mexico.

Just sayin.

39. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 5, 2013

:mellow:

40. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2013

Peregrin, you are combining my quote with another that HeartDrama made to someone else. It is deceiving, and I don't appreciate that you made it seem that HeartDrama was saying that I called myself an idiot. If you wanted to show me the videos, you could have edited the quote where HeartDrama was telling someone else they could call themselves an idiot.

I can guarantee that blondie cheerleader wasn't doing an African dance even though both may have moved the same. I also didn't see the African men or the African women in either video wearing a black, lacy leotard which in this culture does have an implied significance. Context is important. The culture where the action is being done is important.

Remember when President Bush got in hot water for giving the peace sign in another country where the peace sign was like giving the finger. Their culture certainly didn't accept the sign as acceptable because it would be culturally insensitive not to. They were angry that he didn't think of the country he was in and their customs and culture. He was in their land. Their culture and customs were the ones being violated even if it was acceptable elsewhere.