"That" student -- how much parent communication?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by missrebecca, May 5, 2015.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 5, 2015

I have one student (1st grade) who is almost always in trouble, every day. I'm working with him, he has lots of accommodations, and parents/admin are supportive -- we all pretty much agree that he's socially immature and is lacking self-control.

The thing is, I have found myself writing a LOT of detailed emails to parents the past few months. I'm afraid to leave out details, because I want them to understand why I gave him whatever consequence, and the parents have been helpful in talking with him at home. His behavior usually improves a bit the day after I email home.

Is this OK? Would you be overwhelmed as a parent? Personally, I'm feeling overwhelmed just writing long emails all the time... but if it's for the best, I will continue.

Would a simple behavior chart be OK, with notes such as "went to office"/"avoided classwork"/etc.?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 5, 2015

I think if the parents really want to hear all about it, I would come up with a more condensed way to communicate, like a behaviour chart. However, I also wouldn't communicate every single infraction. If something big happens, like an injury or a more than normal amount of off task behavior, then I would call. Otherwise, I think the parents are well aware of the situation and I would just touch base with them every week or so.

4. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 5, 2015

I'd be sure to document the problems and send accounts of these issues to guidance/admin/counsellor as much as possible, and then send emails to parents when something more serious happens--unless the parent specifically asks for more contact.

5. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 5, 2015

That's true, I could do it at the end of the week... thanks for that!

I should also add, parents were upset several months back because admin wanted to move him back to Kindergarten. The parents thought he wasn't having that many problems in school... but he is. At this point, I think they see it. This is probably why I'm afraid to under-communicate... :confused:

6. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 5, 2015

Also, I'm trying to limit my emails to days when I have to call the front office for help. Or occasionally I'll send a positive email. But there have been a LOT of calls for help recently.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2015

I'd go this route.

8. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 6, 2015

Daily Conduct

We have to send home daily conduct for each student. Its a simple calendar with ESNU circled with a number to indicate the behavior. The key is at the bottom of the page. At this point in the year students complete the conduct themselves and I check at the end of the day.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 6, 2015

I'd be tempted to ask the parents what they prefer. I do know some love all the detailed emails. If a behavior chart is good enough for them, go for it.