That One Special Friend

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewTeacher05, Feb 19, 2014.

1. NewTeacher05

NewTeacher05 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014

What do you do with that one special friend?

I have one student who has no respect for the classroom rules. He yells out answers and comments. Anytime he sits next to his friends on carpet he talks to them the entire lesson. If I ask him to move, he does so, but throws a huge dramatic pout about it disrupting our learning. So now instead of moving him, I ask his friends to move. Again this is not acceptable to him, and he throws a huge dramatic pout and moves himself away from the group and I have to get him to refocus and move back to carpet.

He pushes other students when they are in his way and gets upset if he is next to someone in line he does not like.

Today he decided it was ok to throw another girls book bag on the floor and stomp on it. He has never talked to this girl ever and she does not talk to him.

I have had trouble with him since day 1 and have let the parents know what is going on. Mom got upset back in Nov, and belamed his behaviors on me and I must be the problem and his tantrums should not be included in his behavior report. I wrote her an email explaining I am here to support him and now she is super nice to me. We have not talked about behaviors since.

I wrote her today about the book bag explaining he had a really good day except for the bookbag thing. However I am sure she will spin it back on me or make an excuse for him.

Anyways, any tips on how to deal with him? I offer positive praise, given him stickers, etc. Nothing seems to phase him.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2014

Behavior contract
    Working on earning points for 'reward' (extra computer time, etc)
    Ignore attention seeking behaviors
    Move seat
    Have child study observe informally

4. mcf5157

mcf5157 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014

Catch the kid next to him sitting and listening and give explicit praise... other than that the behavior contract to earn points works great!

5. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 20, 2014

I had a child like that in my student teaching (Kingergarten).

The student was sat at a table by himself, but was allowed to sit with the rest of the class when they were celebrating something or doing group work. When reading was done on the carpet, he usually sat in a chair, to help him not move around and annoy other students.

He was also praised whenever he did anything good. He was also occasionally given special tasks - like if I were removing student work off the walls that was stuck to the walls with Fun Tack, I would have the student help me remove the Fun Tack, but only if he did his work. It was a good motivator - he'd finish the work very quickly, and doing it mostly correctly, then he'd help me take the Fun Tack off the back of the work that was on the wall. It'd help curtail his habit of yelling across the classroom to other students when he finished.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 26, 2014

What is your behavior management plan like?

I would ignore an answer that was called out without a raised hand and say something like, "I hear that some people have good answers, but I only listen to answers when you raise your hand and wait to be called on. Suzie, thank you for raising your hand and waiting patiently. What do you think?"

If he does it again, I'd give him a card (lose 5 minutes recess).

Another behavior issue and I'd give him another card (lose 10 minutes recess and a note home).

Another issue and his seat is moved away from the class.

Another and he doesn't get to join in any group activities.

Another and he is in time out in another classroom.

My parents and kids sign a contract with these consequences at the beginning of the year so I can pull them out and remind the parent if necessary. If a student doesn't return a behavior note SIGNED, he loses all of recess the next day and I call his parents immediately.

We also practice expected behaviors a LOT so consistency and routine play a big part. Something that I have learned over the years that really helped my classroom management is that there are only TWO kinds of behaviors: Right and Wrong. "Not quite right" is still Wrong and gets a card. Sounds tough, but so worth it!

It's difficult to tell you what to do in your situation because I'm not there to see the environment. I have had probably TWO students in the past four years that my plan would not work for and I don't know if your student is one of these :whistle: