That old feeling of despair is starting to set in

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I have done so much better this summer in terms of staying positive and not getting obsessed about finding a job, but this week is really testing me.

I've had those three interviews for public preschool, and was turned down for the first two despite very positive feedback. Actually amazing and effusive feedback from the second one, but they hired their sub.

I had my third interview yesterday and it went well, but not as well as the others. I posted about this already so I won't repeat. But anyway, I am not feeling so sure about it, even though I had interviewed there last year for an LTS job and the principal told me that he really wanted to get me on his team someday. He didn't hire me for that job because they went with a previous sub. OK, whatever. I know talk is cheap.

So last night I dreamed that I was ice skating on a pond, and the ice kept cracking. I was skating beautifully and making all sorts of twirls and spins, but the ice kept cracking. Is that symbolic or what?

My dd woke up at 4 a.m. with an earache and after taking care of her, I laid awake for the next two hours thinking about all this stuff. I am starting to feel so discouraged. I've never had trouble finding a job before. I feel like nobody really wants a 46 year-old substitute with experience....I am like the old workhorse they will happily put into a classrooms as an LTS because they know they can just turn me loose and I'll do the job right for a very low salary (I have nine years of experience teaching before I stayed home to raise my children).

On the other hand, I also know that I am limited by where I can apply due to my family and my husband's job. I also withdrew from a job search two years ago because I felt iffy about the place and later found out from someone on the committee that I was their top choice and they were going to offer it to me. If I had taken it, I would be employed right now.

Sorry for the pity party, I am just blathering. I guess it's good the weekend is coming up and I should just take it off and do some other stuff. I hope you all are keeping your chins up!

3. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

RB, I'll be praying for your spirits to rise and that something opens up for you. :hugs:

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

Thanks so much!

5. Cobalt_Waves

Cobalt_Waves Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

You are not alone. I do not know what it is like to be an older sub looking for a job, but I do know what it is like to be a young teacher looking for work. Last year, I had 9 interviews and was rejected for every position I interviewed for. I entered into quite a deep depression. I contemplated changing careers. Finally, in November, I picked up a part-time contract.

This year, I only had 3 interviews even though I applied to an equal number of jobs and have more experience than last year!

I still do not have a permanent job but by some miracle I did get a temporary assignment.

They keep cutting positions here every year... So really it is like a game of musical chairs. Each year, there are less 'chairs' or positions...and each year, even more people are out of work.

The only advice I can give you is to look into getting some sort of specialization that is in demand. For example, the only way I have been able to get jobs the past 3 years is because I have my French certification. I would not have a job otherwise. No chance. The first two jobs I got, I got by default because I was the only qualified applicant. Special education may also be a beneficial certification to have.

I wish you the best of luck. I know how terrible and demeaning it can be looking for work. Last year, I tried to make myself feel better by saying, "All right... No job for me? I'm here to collect!" And then I applied for employment insurance, haha. I have also spent a lot of my 'free' time taking grad courses in education.

EDIT: Also, it sounds like you have tons of experience and should be a front runner for a lot of jobs. Sometimes there is a lot of nepotism and cronyism in the interview process. You may have been 'cheated' out of a few jobs by unfair practices.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

That is an excellent analogy, and so true. I live within 10 min. of two major universities, and they just keep churning out graduates every year. More candidates competing for fewer jobs!

You make a good point about specialization. I should prob. get a sped. cert. It might make me more attractive to some schools.

I'm glad you got a part time job. With so many interviews, you must be a very good candidate. Hopefully you will move up to full time eventually. That often happens.

I know one of the schools hired their long term sub. Ironically, the school I spent over 6 months in last year as a long term sub has NO positions. It was good for the resume, though.

Thanks again! :hugs:

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2013

Hopefully yesterday went better than you thought!

Hang in there- I know it is hard! :hugs:

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2013

I think what you should try to remember is that it´s the market that is tough right now, so it´s not against you. Unfortunately many are in the same boat experiencing the same difficulty. I do hope you finding something soon, though.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

You both said it well. At this point, desperation is definitely setting in... Many have said they were hired after (mid-July, August... days before school starts), but I can't imagine it is that very prevalent. It has me thinking of ambushing the contact person at the district office, for a job I just applied to. It's a great job, and one that for some reason, I'm feeling positive about... as positive as one can feel, among 500 applicants (no lie!) in a district where I have no contacts to speak of. I don't know what I would hope to accomplish (her being stunned by my rugged good looks?), or what I can pretend that I'm there for (i.e. I've submitted all the req'd materials. I suppose I can drop off some other older letters).

But maybe it would show my desperation to the contact person? And maybe that desperation would result in an interview?

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

:thanks: It's just :dizzy: and :confused: and :mad: and :( all at once today. Once I know the outcome of the last interview, which should be Mon. or Tue., I can move on. I've already applied for another job and the principal emailed me that she will guarantee me an interview. I know her so maybe just for once I'll have an advantage that will work in my favor.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I was hired in late August for two of my jobs. I also had calls for interviews in August last year. There was a mad rush at the end.

I don't think going in to HR for no reason is really going to help. They aren't going to have any control over your selection. Sometimes dropping off your packet helps IF you happen to bump into an admin., which did happen to me last year, and I was quickly contacted for an interview the next day. But it's mostly luck.

Your rugged good looks won't hurt, I'm sure, but you'd have to bump into a female who's on the hiring committee! :lol:

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 19, 2013

I think that dream symbolically means that you know you can do the job, are confident by your abilities, and you should be as the evidence proves (doing beautiful twirls and spins), but you're afraid that you are losing the opportunities to show your skills (ice is cracking, and once it's cracked you can't ice skate on it anymore). Basically it perfectly describes how you're feeling right now.

What did you do after all that in your dream? Sometimes your dreams can tell you how you're feeling, but also give your advice, you just need to know how to interpret it.

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

That's what I think, too.

You know, I think I woke up when my daughter came in with the earache, so I don't know what happened next. I remember telling my husband in the dream about the ice. That certainly parallels our conversations in real life about my search! :lol:

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

In this case, the people overseeing the job posting are people at the district office (not individual principals). So I ended up going... but the lead person happened to not be there. So I just met the assistant, and a couple of ladies in HR. Nothing substantial... but it does make me feel at least I did something (related to my job search).

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I understand. I guess it can't hurt...what did you say to them?

16. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

I feel it too (despair).

In the past, I've practically been able to write my own ticket when looking for jobs because I teach a hard-to-staff subject, have advanced credentials, experience, etc., etc.

However, it has been a good half a dozen years since I've last been job hunting. This time around, I have applied for seven jobs, got only three interviews, and no offers. I have lost a few to beginners, which makes me afraid I am not hireable in the current market (too expensive).

I feel like my job hunting season has ended for the year.

17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 20, 2013

I just asked if I could talk to a person/people who are overseeing this listing. I just introduce myself, tell them I'm an applicant for the position, and that I like to make personal introductions whenever I can. They proceeded to give me some details about the posting (time table), and said they'd let the person in charge know that I came by to meet her. We'll see if it helps.

18. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013

First, read my thread, and that may make you feel better! ;)

Second, continue to think positively and put those vibes out there!

I know you will get a job!

19. twilight11105

twilight11105 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013

I completely understand RainbowBird- I think I have hit rock bottom today & considered giving up altogether. I hope you find the faith & don't give up :)

20. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 20, 2013

Keep your head up. The right job will come along.

21. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 20, 2013

Thank you. I have read your thread btw and responded!:lol:

22. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 20, 2013

Thank you, everyone. Feeling a little better now that the weekend is here and I can take a break from the job listings and just decompress. At least I have a guaranteed interview for the grade one position in two weeks. Also got a card yesterday from another district for a K position telling me that my file is complete.

I hope we all get some good news soon!