That Dag On Bell...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Jazzy*Jai, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

Okay I just finished my second week of teaching. Yay Me:love:! I am happy, still in the struggling to keep my head above water stage but I know with time it will get better.
    My only thing is I am constantly ringing my bell to get my students to be quiet and they hardly repond to it. I have to ring it like literally20 times for them to be silent and listen.
    Today I even found myself carrying the bell while walking them to P.E.
    I don't want my principal to come in and to do an eval and I'm just banging away on this bell and these kids hardly respond to it.
    Any advice?

3. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

I would try something else! They like something they can respond to--
    clap your hands, they clap back, hold up 5 fingers and they can count down 5 4 3 2 1 (look at me) try saying dunt da da dunt dunt" and they answer dunt dunt! explain that when you give the signal,( bell, clapping, give me five, whatever,) that they MUST stop and look at you for important directions. If they do not they will have privledges taken away, such as recess time, because it is wasting your time. (you know, Harry Wong's book:) )
    Good luck. Hope it helps a little sorry for the mis spellings, my 30 little dumplings wore me out today!

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

I agree with the last poster, you should try other things. I do alot of clapping to get my kids quiet. I will clap, snap, clap and they repeat. We keep doing different combinations of clapping until everyone is quiet. I also will do short songs or fingerplays when we are transitioning. If we are moving from tables to the carpet for example, I will just start to sing "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes." The kids will start to join in singing and do the motions. By the time the song is over everyone is usually where they are supposed to be.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2007

Anthing that you have to do that many times isn't working. I agree with the other posters... find some other (less annoying to you) way of getting their attention.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 6, 2007

One thing that I do, that I've posted on here before, is to use a music box. I keep it sitting on the corner of my desk (which is right by the board - small room!). Any time they disrupt my teaching with talking, I open the music box. I keep it open until they get quiet. On Friday afternoon if there is music left, they get free time. If there isn't, they don't. At first, it takes time for them to get into the habit, but they quickly adjust to it and get quiet as soon as they hear the music.
    I like using the music box because I control it. If they had one really bad day in the middle of a good week, then worked hard to get better, I can give it a tweak to make sure they get rewarded. If they have had a bad week, I can make sure it's emtpy by Friday. :whistle:

7. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 6, 2007

I use chants
    Teacher "hocus pocus"
    Students "everybody focus"

and

Teacher "1, 2, 3, eyes on me"
    Students "1, 2, eyes on you"

They respond well and love the chants.

I only use my bell for clean up times.

8. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Oct 6, 2007

do the children have some sort of action they are supposed to do to get them quiet when the bell is rung or are they just supposed to be quiet? i have seen K classes use the bell after training the children upon hearing it to freeze, put a quiet sign over their mouth with one hand and a thumbs up into the air with another. it's a techniqe that has to be practiced with the children a lot when introduced and you really have to keep at them about it if you start to see it's loosing it's effect (re-visit the steps and practice again if necessary). i also know many teachers that use a handful of techniques for quiet (such as those listed above) that way the students don't get too used to just one and the effect gets lost along the way.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 6, 2007

I agree that if it doesn't work, toss it. If there are no rewards and consequences attached to this bell, however, that could be part of the issue. It's like pavlov's dog. The dog hears the bell and associates it with food. What do the children really associate this bell with? If they aren't being quiet, it can't be they associate it with the expectation to be quiet.

10. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Oct 6, 2007

christyf... i LOVE that music box idea... very creative and what a calming way to get the children to get quiet!

11. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

Thanks guys I will look into all of the suggestions. I mostly ring the bell when we are doing centers and its time to clean up and move to the next center ( that's when they are the noisiest), but they are talking and playing that they can't hear where they are going next.
    I think I just assumed they would know if I ring the bell to be quiet but I will have to repeat and practice this with them.

12. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

I love the music box idea as well. Another idea I found on a web site was to say SALAMI: Stop And Look At Me Immediately. The children stop what they are doing at anytime and look at you.
    This is very effective. This class caught on quite quick.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

My suggestion only because it works with my kids. Have several differnt things that you can use. My kids got very "bored" with 123 eyes on me thing. So I use that and I use "freeze" I also count to a certain number, usually 20 while they are getting drinks and things. The whole table has to be done getting a drink when I get to 20. I have kids that would drink the fountain dry before letting another person go. I have also used the I am going to close my eyes and when I open them I want the class that makes good choices sitting in the seats. That seems to work VERY well. I have atimer that I do use when finishing up class work. I usually give them a two minute warning.

14. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Oct 6, 2007

Try this one, I call it fastest fingers. I tell the kids that when I ring the bell I want them to drop what there doing, drop whats in their hands, and point to the sky. I tell them that the person I see do it the fastest gets a sticker. It works! They will start to point to the sky even if they think they hear the bell.

15. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Oct 6, 2007

Another one that works really well is a silent mimic. Start doing weird things like touching your head, then your shoulders, then your nose, etc. For some reason they just know to be quiet and start copying what you do. Then when you have most of their attention you put your hands in your lap. Before you know it they are all sitting nicely, listening to you, with their hands on their lap.

16. Freebird

Freebird Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

All great ideas! :)

I had never heard of the music box idea. I love it!

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 6, 2007

I heard the music box idea at a workshop. It was one of the few good things that came out of that one! :D
    If you are wanting something to have them change stations, or move to certain locations and are simply wanting to call their attention, maybe do something fun (bicycle horn, slide whistle, etc.) Make sure they know that it will only happen once and that they have a set amount of time to complete the move, clean up, etc. If they finish within that time put a star on a chart something like that and let them work towards some sort of reward. A friend of mine uses a duck call in her room. :woot:

18. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

Yes, different non-verbal things are fun. I have a train whistle, a slide whistle, a horn, a clicker, a timer bell, a xylophone... With any one of those they know to stop, look, and listen. We also do the hands-up signal school-wide. I also do a shushing pattern (shhh shhh sh sh sh) that they then repeat. You can't shush and talk at the same time so it gets them quiet!

You didn't mention transitions, but I use music for transitions. When I need them to come to the carpet in the morning after they have been working at tables I play a song on the cd player. I don't have to say a word. As a matter of fact, I only have to walk towards the cd player and they start cleaning up immediately.

19. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Oct 7, 2007

A K teacher that I used to work with would start singing a song (a K song, a short one like row, row, your boat) or reciting a nursery rhyme that the children knew. They would pretty quickly all join in and when it was over they would all be paying attention to her :).

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2007

I'm finding that it's true, you can't just have one signal to get their attention. My kids are getting bored of the one I was using so I will try some new ones next week! Thanks everyone!

21. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Oct 13, 2007

I always have students model the right way....and then some students model the wrong way....and then the right way again. IT TAKES PRACTICE.

I have noticed that most kids nowadays NEVER have limits on when they can and cannot speak when they are with their families. That behavior must be taught. I just tell my class..."it is not okay to do that....we need to practice the right way!" It is so funny how many times they will ask, "Do we have to do that at home too?"....I just chuckle and tell them.....Wow, won't your parents be impressed if you do!

22. little317

little317 Groupie

Oct 30, 2007

I use a lot of music for getting student's attention and for transtions. I also have a signal "Everybody Freeze!" It took a while to teach the students that when they freeze they must: Stop what they were doing, put down any supplies in hands, put their hands in the sky, put a bubble in their mouth and look at me. It's similar to Harry Wong's Give Me 5. I also will give them countdowns to zero or sing Dr. Jean's Have a Seat Song.
    Having a variety of signals is a good thing. The key is to teach kids what you will use the signal for, what they have to do as a response to the signal, and what reward/consequence occurs afterward.
    I use lots of praise (verbal) for students who comply with following directions quickly. I also have a ticket system and I will award tickets.