That cafeteria smell

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Bored of Ed, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2007

Do all schools smell so bad?

I work in the PMs and come to school just after lunch. Sometimes the smell just hits me when I walk into the building... it can be gross.

It doesn't help that cheese and fish totally nauseate me. But even foods that I don't mind eating can be disgusting when the halls smell so strongly of them.

It's a real turn-off to be greeted by this first thing when I come to teach every day!

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 3, 2007

It's funny, I think my school is the exact opposite (most days). I dismiss my little ones at noon and almost as soon as we walk out of the classroom one of them comments that they can smell whatever it is that they are cooking for lunch. It generally smells good!! It only lasts as long as they are actually having lunch periods though, so I don't get it in the morning and it's over by 2.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2007

On Mondays we serve Chicken Nuggets and fries. That "Fried" smell wafts through the air-- completely delicious!!! I smell it all morning, then walk in for my 6th period cafeteria duty starving! (My lunch is 7th.)

The alternate cafeteria smell happens every day at the end of 7th period: the cafeteria ladies wipe down each table with an ammonia solution before 8th period study. It smells SO clean :)

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 3, 2007

I hate walking into 'ANY SMELL' especially if your senses are keen it can really set your mood. Imagine what your face looks like to others, as you are dissecting the smell in your head!

You can attach a laundry softener sheet to your ID badge so that it sends a pleasant smell.

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2007

I teach in the lower level of my building, right down the hall from the cafeteria. When I arrive in the morning (about 7 AM), the smell is chocolate chip cookies or brownies they make each morning. By the time the kids arrive, though, the smell changes. Often, it is a rather unappetizing smell. However, I must say, that since they pulled the fryers out of the kitchen, I don't have to deal with the fried food smell. Having my classroom where I do caused the most problems when I was pregnant, and just about any smell could send me over the edge.

7. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

Teaching in a trailer has its perks! We never smell the food unless we go for a walk inside the building. My kids used to help pan/portion/clean in the kitchen, though, so we could see and smell behind the scenes twice a week.

All five summers I worked at camp, Friday meant tuna fish sandwiches for lunch. The smell of tuna fish prepared for 100 campers in a lodge that is not air conditioned got me every Friday. Ugh.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2007

Oh, I'm sure the food itself smells fine. It just gets overpowering... My school is huge, so there's a lot of smell to go around, and I think some classes eat lunch in their rooms (maybe not all the time; I'm not sure since I come later) so it spreads.

9. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 3, 2007

Are you pregnant? That would be why your sense of smell is hightened.

I've always worked far away from the cafeteria.

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2007

Not me!

I do have a background of sensitivity, however nothing turns me off like that school smell... To be fair, it's not always bad. And you do get used to it after a bit. But eeeew.