That blank stare!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, Nov 25, 2013.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 25, 2013

Any suggestions for a kiddo who freezes up when I try to help/correct/ask questions?

I have a student who will just freeze up and stare at me blankly when I try to correct her or help her out (her brother was the same way when I had him). A lot of it is her expecting me to just tell her the answer. She thinks if she waits long enough I'll give in and tell her (this is what happens at home...mom admitted to it at conferences). I try to guide all of my students to solve the problem themselves. I help them through the process by asking questions and giving hints instead of just outright telling them. In fact, there are times where I WILL give her the answer and she still can't even repeat it back to me when asked!!!

This is driving me CRAZY!!! I'm not sure how much longer I can take the black stare...any help would be great!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 25, 2013

Not sure that it will work in kindergarten, but in high school I will say "Ok Suzy, you seem to need some more time to think about your answer. You do that while I help someone else." And then leave for a little while.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2013

Is this a student who may qualify for speech or other special education services? It may be a speech and language or processing deficit.

I have a student that tends to give me a blank stare and refuse to speak, so I will often ask a question to help him get on the right track and walk away. When I come back, he has often figured out a little more and I can pose another question.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 26, 2013

Thanks for responding!

2nd-I often tell her to go think a little more and come back. She usually seems just as lost when she comes back as when she left.

mopar-I have been wondering about a processing issue. The Title 1 teacher has similar issues with her and we've discussed the possibility. Right now, it's trying to distinguish between learned behaviors and an actual processing issue! She doesn't qualify for speech or special ed...it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a kid into special ed in my district!!!!

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 26, 2013

Sounds pretty SPED to me! All my kids have that delayed reaction face. I'm used to it, but it drives the gen ed teachers crazy. Really, the only things that have worked are short, clear sentences, wait time, and turn and talk before sharing out.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2013

A question I ask frequently in my high school math classes is this:

"Is anyone so confused that you don't even know what to ask?" It changes those blank stares to quiet nods, as they acknowledge that they're totally and completely lost.

If her brother had the same stare, then I'm guessing it's a learned behavior, and not a Special Ed issue.

For what it's worth, when I hit that situation, I go back to the very beginning of the activity, and break it down to the tiniest little nuggets of information I can, checking at every single step to make sure I'm being understood.

My guess is that her language skills aren't sufficient to let her ask what she wants to know.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2013

:thumb: