That awkward moment when you realize no one wants to be at your meeting...

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ecteach, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 11, 2014

Let me set the scene for you.......Meeting--3:30, because I do not have a planning period. Halfway through I look around and realize that one person is sleeping, one is playing on her iPad, and the other is looking at me like he wants to murder the mom, who is a talker.

Mom stayed on task, just had a lot of information about each section.

It was a bit embarrassing, and it did make me speed up a little. Oh, how I wish IEPs mattered to everyone.

I wonder if people who make the laws realize that a team approach is very rarely used?

Where's the emoticon for feeling jaded?

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2014

Wow. Your comment shows exactly why the laws are needed. Too bad it is so hard for parents to win lawsuits when the school then bands together and claims they did things they didn't do. At least the families have some protections from school systems don't give a darn about what a student needs and will sleep, ignore, and treat child progress as an annoyance and then go do whatever the heck they want. No wonder the public has such a great view of teachers. It amazes me why many in the profession wonder why the public thinks of them with distain.

Does anyone think that parent won't go tell her friends and relatives what an unprofessional bunch of yo-yos she had to deal with? The funny thing is, when someone hears about this the first time they think the parent is the problem, but eventually when they hear it from multiple people, they do start to realize that the school is filled with unprofessional people.

Just to make sure, you weren't part of the yo-yo bunch. You were complaining about them.... Please don't think you were included.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

At my for IEP meetings these people are present: principal, often a psychologist, special ed teacher, all teachers who have the student in their classes, student and mom, and probation officer sometimes, if the kid is on probation and the PO has time.
    Teachers give a brief overview of the student's progress, even bring student work. Then we can leave, because the rest doesn't quite apply to us. I always feels like a team effort.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

I had an IEP meeting today for my blind child. The idea of sitting bored through the meeting would never even occur to me, because of how important the outcome is for this child's education.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

Goals, accommodations, service time, etc... don't apply to teachers? Uh... going to have to disagree there.

7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 11, 2014

Maybe it's because of the class I teach. I have these kids all day. But, regulations are regulations. What can I do?

8. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 11, 2014

agreed

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

Well, I'm not sure what they discuss. We get an updated sheet with goals and accommodations if they change (or we might get them anyways, I can't remember), but my P says we can leave, so I take her word.
    There are time when we sit there forever, there was for example one student who didn't want to take medication for ADHD for the reasons it made him feel, but clearly he was getting in trouble without it, so we came up with a solution that everyone was happy. I was a loooong meeting, but he's being using that method and is doing great.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 11, 2014

Wow. I honestly LOVE IEP meetings because that's when I get the best guidance on how to help that student learn.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

........all my meetings ever!

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2014

Wow, everyone at my school at least pretends to be interested! I did have an interesting experience the other day though. I was meeting with our RtI team and my AP asked me to show them what the testing/evaluation/identification process looks like when a kid is referred. I pulled up all of the things we go over in every initial IEP meeting, and they acted like it was the most fascinating thing they'd ever seen...they kept asking me question after question and talking about how cool it was to see the process. They've all been teaching for a minimum of 5 years (most 15 or more) and have been to countless IEP meetings! Clearly they weren't paying attention...although I suppose taking an interest now is better than never.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2014

Maybe your ADMINISTRATION should place importance on these meetings by making time available DURING THE CONTRACTED SCHHOL DAY to meet. 330 is 'my time' for most teachers.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

I can't imagine pulling my iPad out during an IEP meeting!!! Unbelievable.

15. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 11, 2014

At the HS gen ed teachers stay and give a 5 minute overview, and then they may leave. Honestly I don't need to hear about all of that other stuff. I know what accommodations are in the IEP, and I provide them. I think it's nice they don't make us stay a full hour.

Agreed. It's pretty irresponsible for them to schedule it at 3:30. Our times for IEP meetings are 7:30, 9, 10:30, 12, or 1:30 for IEP meetings. Nothing else is available. (I'm sure they could try if a parent couldn't take a time, but they wouldn't require us to be there for that.)

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2014

Not all teachers have a contracted time. Based on ecteach's location, I'm betting this is the case.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2014

Now, sleeping and playing on things is inexcusable. However, I hated afternoon IEP meetings- which is when 90% of our meeting were held as well. For me, I had to work around 25 hours a week in retail just to cover my bills. An afternoon meeting put me in a position where I could get in trouble with my retail employer. At my former school, I rarely received enough notice to ask for the day off of work. (We had to put requests in at least 2 weeks in advance.) While I would never sleep, play on a tablet, or do any other completely rude activity, I wouldn't be happy to be there, either.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2014

Yup.

19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 11, 2014

We've had the "after 3:00" argument before. But, I do not think "not wanting to be somewhere" gives you a free pass for acting in an unprofessional manner. But, that's just my opinion.

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

We have a big problem with paper grading. Like...lay out all 5 periods of essays and completely ignore what everyone's saying kind of grading....it drives me NUTS.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2014

My contract says one faculty meeting after school per month. Anything hon-voluntary that is on non contracted time and we'd expect payment .:2cents:

22. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

When I was in HS, one of my gen ed teachers would stay the entire meeting, and would advise on the gen ed curriculum. The rest of my teachers would be required to fill out a survey/form about how I did in their class and how the accommodations worked or did not work.

23. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2014

2 cents an hour? Not a bad rate ;)
    (sorry, don't mean to be off topic, but it was screaming at me...)

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2014

There have been many IEP meetings I found ridiclous, too long, off topic, and so forth. I never slept or played on any device and was always respectful, but I can't pretend I was pumped for every one...especially those outside of school hours. I think that's a problem.

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 12, 2014

We always had to have at least one gen ed teacher there. Because I was always the rule follower, I would always go, and no one else would show up-so I ALWAYS got the invite to be the representative for gen ed. I got tired of that pretty quickly. But I agree, unprofessional behavior isn't acceptable.

26. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Feb 12, 2014

I always feel like our team is great at meetings, but so very often the parent is not interested at all. Our special ed. leader does a really good job telling everyone that no side conversations, looking at phones, etc.. are allowed. Last week, I had a meeting for a student I've had for 2 years with very significant medical conditions and delays. We were there to talk with mom about kindergarten placement...which is a really important decision for this little one and I've put my heart and soul into finding interventions that work with her...and I was going through progress and mom got out her phone and started texting...almost for the entire rest of the meeting. She just sat there and nodded. Ugh.

27. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2014

Whenever there is a gen ed teacher or a service provider (speech, psych) I invite them to speak first in case they have other commitments. Usually they choose to stay. Sometimes the gen ed teachers would rather be grading papers or teaching their class.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 12, 2014

This.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 12, 2014

Most of ours are during school. I go to the ones I'm requested at (three a year tops).

Not every parent is able to do it during school hours. I'm happy to accommodate and will stay as long as they need me. They usually try to schedule these during conference nights when possible. That way we're already there.

30. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 12, 2014

This is interesting. Sometimes we have IEPs during PE, which is 40 minutes twice a week. Our other preps (2 of them) are only 30 minutes and we have to stay in the classroom with the kids. Usually IEPs are held before or after school. It's an annoyance that those are the only times, but it's something we just deal with. There isn't enough time during the school day that we aren't teaching the kids. I actually find IEPs to be really useful and informative to me as the classroom teacher.

So for those of you who teach at schools where IEPs are only held during contracted hours, how does that happen? During prep time? That's highly uncommon to even have around here. Or is there a sub brought in to watch your class? I teach at a charter, but I know of public schools where the IEPs are held after school.

31. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 12, 2014

Could have a sub for a few minutes while we attend, or if it is an inclusion class (which is the case for most of the teachers who will be attending the meetings!), there is already a co-teacher there in the room. Can be during prep as well.

32. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 12, 2014

A sub is brought in or they'll do it during a prep period around here.

33. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 13, 2014

Someone covers the class here if it's not during our prep time.

34. thesub

thesub Comrade

Feb 13, 2014

Teachers sleeping/ playing on iPad in an IEP meeting??? This is new to me and I am horrified. I have attended many IEP meeting for my hearing-impaired son and everyone has been great. Some teacher do leave after making their presentations (after lots of apologies) but overall I look forward to these meetings. I get to meet everyone at one go and the teachers always have great educational ideas.

35. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 13, 2014

I'm at a high school, but here they just ask whichever gen ed teacher has a prep period at the time of the meeting. My school is huge on not taking up a teacher's prep time, though, so we just stay for about 15 minutes to answer questions about student performance and give input on accommodations. Later, the special ed teacher will bring around a copy of the new/revised IEP/504 plan and we sign off on it.

36. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2014

We have all of our meetings on Tuesdays. We have a set roving sub who comes in every Tuesday to cover classes for meetings. We typically have several meetings so she stays very busy- if it happens to be a lighter day for some reason we could only have her stay for a half day. We can't take the teacher's plan time per our contract. However, some teachers prefer meeting during their planning rather than having to have the sub come in. We ask teachers to tell us at the beginning of the year if they prefer to meet during their plan time and we try to accommodate that if possible. We have had to do a couple after school this year when parents weren't able to attend during the school day. Luckily it wasn't a big issue with anyone. I'd personally have a hard time with someone pitching a fit over having to stay after school for a meeting maybe 2-3 times a year.

37. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 16, 2014

We have a sub that goes to a different school every day to cover our classes during IAT meetings. Our day happens to be Tuesdays. We are paid if the meeting occurs during our prep time, and rarely does a meeting happen after school. The team is allowed to plan meetings before school, but only 15 minutes earlier than we are to be in school.