Thanksgiving Traditions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by math1abee, Oct 11, 2011.

1. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Oct 11, 2011

After reading Silverspoon's thread it got me in the Thanksgiving mood. I love Thanksgiving as its chock full of tradition, and being from a big family, we have tons and I love them all.

On Thanksgiving morning we get up and turn on the Macy's Day parade in one room and football in the other. We have a big brunch around 11 and then my dad starts cooking away. We all sit around and watch tv, play games and wander in and out of the kitchen trying to steal a little bit of turkey or pie crust...whatever goodies we can grab to munch on. We also try and help him and my mom out but usually he wants us to get out of the way lol. At about 5pm we eat until we're stuffed and then we watch Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and other movies on ABC Family or whatever.

Do you guys have a traditional way you celebrate Thanksgiving every year? Or any favorite dishes?

I HAVE to have corn bread pudding, mashed potatoes, stuffing and sweet potato casserole with the pecan crust with apple pie and vanilla bean bryers ice cream to finish it up.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 11, 2011

Our traditions have changed since my parents divorced, but when I was a kid Wednesday night was the "exes" meal. We always had gumbo or lasagna or something and our friends would just stop by whenever. Often, my sisters ex-boyfriends would show up. It was always my favorite part of the holiday.

On Thursday we'd go to my grandparents' house. My grandmother's stuffing is my favorite food. We always took a "plate picture" where we held up our empty plates before we put food on them.

Now we go to my husband's family in the country for Thanksgiving. The ladies all sit around and go over the sales ads while the kids play with the animals.

4. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 11, 2011

We have been going to my uncle's for as long as I can remember. He makes the BEST stuffing, ever! We all hang out, watch the parade, the football game, play in the yard,etc. Oh and look at the ads and plan our attack route the following morning... This year we are going to visit my BIL/SIL and nephews... I am really excited to spend it with them, but I am bummed to miss out on our traditional celebration :)

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2011

We still go to my grandma's. There are a ton of us jammed in that house. I have always gone over early to help her, and my job is to stuff the celery with cream cheese. It always has been. lol. Now if someone gets there before me, my grandma won't let anyone else do it. We eat right at noon. A lot of people go outside and play football or just take walks after dinner. The menu is EXACTLY THE SAME every year. I love it.

Then we go to my nana's later in the day, which is kind of a mixed bag of food. Sometimes I will eat some leftovers there, or some more pie. A lot of times we will watch a movie. Again - tons of people. Mom and I go through the black friday sale papers. I think we are the only ones that go out so sometimes we take special orders from the family. lol.

Last year, we had our own dinner here the weekend before, so that we could also spend some time with BF's family. We did a non-traditional meal - butternut squash ravioli was the main course, and I made a orange bourbon pecan pie that was amazing. It was fun to try out something a little different. I don't know if we will do that this year.

Honestly, my favorite tradition has become black friday shopping with my sister and mom. I love getting up early, all bundled up if it is cold, and facing the crowds, going through the mall, getting freebies, making fun of people, getting coffee, getting a huge IHOP breakfast (after all the food the day before). My sister always stays in the car and sleeps once we get to Target.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2011

We don't have any traditions in that we MUST go to a certain place or have a special food & that's how I like it. Just like Christmas, I do what I want every year! If I feel like going to Hawaii or NY for example & have pizza or Chinese food (2 of my favorite foods), then I will! But I'll of course always thank God like I always do year-round for all His blessings he's given me. :)

The only thing I look forward to having is my mom's stuffing recipe!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

I've been cooking Thanksgiving dinner for many years. Dh's family comes and stay over...there are specific foods that are ALWAYS on the table. I switch up desserts, decor...this year I'm taking a cooking break and we're headed into NYC on Wednesday night to watch the floats get blown up...:)

8. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Oct 12, 2011

That sounds cool! You should take pictures and post them! I loved the Macy's day parade. My dad and I always watched it together when I was growing up... however, its lost its appeal to me now as it is mostly singers and only glimpses of the floats. We turn it on I and watch glimpses of it to try and catch a view of the floats and watch the Rockettes but that's about it. One day I want to stay on the parade route in a hotel so my future kids can get the real Macy's day parade experience.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2011

We usually stayed at home for Thanksgiving, so now I go to my parents' for the weekend (I'm 8 hours away). We watch football, and don't eat dinner until Dad and any of the guys visiting (cousins, uncles, etc.) come back in from deer hunting. The meal is almost always the same: turkey, stuffing, sweet and mashed potatoes, corn, green bean casserole, rolls, and cranberry sauce, with pumpkin and cherry pie for dessert.

One of my favorite memories was a few years ago. My parents had just moved, and they were completely renovating the old farmhouse. They were living in a small "cabin" on the property: 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 "living room"--quite interesting when us 3 kids came home for the weekend! Mom went to church the day before to bake the pies. The turkey was cooked in the electric roaster (we were able to plug that in in the unfinished house), but everything else was made in the microwave or on the one small electric burner. We couldn't run them at the same time, or the power would go out. There was a lot of strategy involved... :)

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 13, 2011

I love Thanksgiving!
    I usually cook on Thanksgiving, because I love to! I am off the Wednesday before, so I start baking my potato rolls and pies then. DH helps me get the turkey ready Wednesday night so it is ready to go in the oven early. We always have the same menu-and usually if my parents or his sisters come over, they bring a dish. If not, I prepare it all! We eat early, around 2, then watch football, take naps, and go over the ads for all the black Friday sales. Sometimes we even shop on line!
    I love how Thanksgiving is so family orientated for me-without all the worry of gift giving. We truly sit down to a dinner and talk about how blessed we are!