Thanksgiving table

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Oct 11, 2011.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2011

I am getting my November issues of some of my magazines, and I just have to ask, does anyone seriously and truly use place cards (and I mean for real place cards, not like a cute little card the kids made or something) and have formal centerpieces and a formal place setting for their holiday dinners? I am just wondering because I look through these magazines and I just think "Yeah right." It's just so foreign to my concept of a family dinner.

3. kme93

kme93 Companion

Oct 11, 2011

No, ours is nothing like the magazines. We do use the good china though.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2011

I've never been to a meal that required me to sit in an assigned seat. No wedding, no other special occasion. Dislike the very idea of it. That said, I think place cards can be so darn cute, creative, and or beautiful.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2011

I agree - I think the tables in the magazine are pretty. But at my grandma's house, all the food is on the main table and the grandkids fix plates and go throughout the house to find a seat. (One of my cousins and her bf, my brother, sister, my BF and I all sit at a card table in the living room. And my brother brought a friend last year. Yeah, that's 7 people at a card table. It's cozy). Then the adults sit down at the table and eat. (I say adults like I am not an adult. lol. Well, I'm not when I am at Grandma's house.) The dishes definitely don't match. There is no room for name cards, but last year we picked up random knickknacks and made our own centerpiece. lol.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2011

Every year for the past 6 years I host Thanksgiving Eve at my house, it started with our close group of 5 friends and now with spouses and children and new close friends its about 20 people...I did place cards 1 year- they doubled as a picture frame (since we take a yearly pic as well)....I don't think anyone stuck to the assigned seating, but everyone loved the frames!

The magazines look great, but I agree its not practical!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2011

I'm still at the kids' card table as well! :lol:

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 11, 2011

I don't have place cards. When I have company for several meals, I have made sure I sit in a different spot each meal time to create a mix.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2011

Formal place setting. Yes.
    Place cards. No.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2011

Place cards? No.

But the good china, the good silverware, and candles on the table?? For Thanksgiving and Christmas, absolutely.

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 11, 2011

I don't use place cards but my good china, stemware, silverware and family heirloom serving pieces come out. I also have several linen tablecloths with matching napkins that I use.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 11, 2011

:thumb: I like to get flowers and/or make a centerpiece, but it isn't an absolute must.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2011

We've never had more than four people at a meal. Now that both of our dads are gone, it is only three each time.

I tried having both sets of parents at my house for our first "married" Thanksgiving. OMG! I needed placecards . . . just to make sure that the parents stayed FAR away from one another. They're definitely oil and water personalities.

I eat on my good china all year!

14. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Oct 11, 2011

We don't do that even though my mom love's those magazines. I love TG just for the tradition. We have 6 people in our family and we are super close. Add in my husband, my sister's boyfriend, my brother's girlfriend and its a minimum of 9 people. We use nice, matching plates and try and make sure the silverware matches but we don't remember that at the end of the day and it's never been a big deal with us.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 11, 2011

We've done placecards a few times, but not every year.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2011

I'm not a big entertainer, but if I ever had a formal dinner & wanted it to be special, I could use place cards, but I don't really see the point.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2011

My gram likes to do things fancy...so yes we have name cards...but they are where we "usually" sit any way, so it's no big deal. I made the cards one year, laminated and she has them.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

Our Thanksgiving is usually an informal affair. It's normally just the two of us, and we're pretty informal people. :)

We normally do a turkey, stuffing and/or dressing (my version or his version), plus some combination of carrots, mashed potatoes, rolls, spinach and rice casserole, and/or creamed corn.

19. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 12, 2011

We host both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for no fewer than 8 people - all are family. I do not use place cards. Although one year I made a different quilled ornament for each person so I made sure to place the cards where they would set. After hosting so many family dinners, we all seem to have our self assigned seats. We always use the formal china and set formal place settings. Sometimes I'll remember to get a table centerpiece, or someone will bring one, but it is no big deal if there isn't one - makes more room for food. We do always have candles though.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

Do you have your own entertaining space in your parents' house? That might make a difference in how you feel about entertaining.

21. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2011

Minority speaking up now - YES, my family uses place cards. Dinner is at my mother's house. She started when the grandchildren were young (some are now in their 20's). I believe it was because the children were stategically placed by their parents and not by their favorite cousins -but mostly placed because there are some spots around the table where there is absolutely no space for knees. Then Mom made favors like turkeys made from Oreos and striped cookies or made from egg cartons with feathers glued on the back. Now she still does it because if she doesn't, we all harass her about how we don't know where to sit.:lol:

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2011

Sounds adorable....those are the things you will always remember!

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2011

Isn't funny how if something is a little off you just have to speak up... We do the same thing... Poor Gram (that's where are dinner usually is)!!!!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2011

If I really wanted to throw something, there would be a space in their house to do so. Even once I have my own place, parties, etc. don't excite me. I've rather be travelling somewhere.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2011

Oh, I love traveling, but I love the home we have made....for me, there's no place like home for the holidays...surrounded by those we love and treasure.