Thanksgiving request

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherGroupie, Nov 22, 2011.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

As a moderator, I'm going to make a request.

To all those who are itching to launch or respond to a post for the purpose of correcting another A to Z member's views or lifestyles, complaining about others being judgmental, or for that matter for any other purpose:

1. Before you post, think about how it would make the other person feel if you said it face to face. If you wouldn't let a student in your classroom get away with the same tone, you probably shouldn't be using it here.

2. Before you post, think about how it would make you look to another person if you said it face to face. If you wouldn't let a student in your classroom to keep on and on, you probably shouldn't do so here.

3. Before you post, first go find something to do for some live person in your life who's feeling down. Or make your favorite Thanksgiving food, or better yet the favorite Thanksgiving food of the relative who bugs you the most - and put all the love you can into the preparation.

4. Before you post, go have a really good, sweaty, undignified romp with the dog or cat or peeg (I love cat's Rockhubby's name for guinea pigs) or whatever. Haven't got a pet? Play with abandon on your Wii, or go ice skating, or lace on your sneakers and take a brisk walk, making sure you jump in some leaves or stomp in some puddles or walk a curb like a tightrope walker or stop and smell the eucalyptus blossoms.

(Oh, my mood just started to improve. You see, this works.)

5. Before you post, take a nice warm bath with bath salts or bubbles. Got a significant other? Try sharing. I won't tell.

6. Before you post, think of five things in your life that you're really grateful for. If you can track down the people who are responsible for them being in your life, go say thank you. If you can't, say thank you anyway.

7. Before you post, have a nice Thanksgiving morning breakfast. I can't resist recommending pumpkin pie.

8. Before you post, really pay attention to your Thanksgiving meal: eat it as though it were the best and most interesting meal in the world - because, in a sense, it is. How about that turkey (or Tofurkey)? What about the marvel of gravy, which is chemistry in real life? What is it that makes your favorite kind of cranberry sauce your favorite kind, and what's good about other people's favorites?

Thanks for reading this; thanks for taking it to heart; thanks for being part of the A to Z community; and let's all thank Amanda for hosting this site.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2011

Amen and THANK YOU!!!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2011

Multas gratias vobis ago! :)

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Nov 22, 2011

Very well said:) Have a wonderful, Thanksgiving all.

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 22, 2011

I totally agree!

It has made me sad to read posts lately, which are so judgmental and mean. If you know it could hurt someone's feelings why post it? There are right ways and wrong ways to point things out to people.

Criticizing others never makes them see your side. It just makes them feel badly about themselves

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 22, 2011

I apologize if I've gotten worked up in a few threads lately. It just bothers me when people can dish it out but don't want to take it! Like I said in another thread, I'll try to just stick to educational threads from now on, as I tend to have a hard time not keeping my strong opinions to myself in situations like that.

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Nov 22, 2011

Wow, TG!!! Great advice.

Reminds me of this quote from Ephesians 4:29...
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

I was just thinking about an "old" friend of mine who was just diagnosed with cancer. It came on suddenly and her life has completely changed. We never know what the next day holds; we have to make each day count! :love:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

You're welcome and thank you, Amanda.

(wryly) I needed it too.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 22, 2011

I must admit.....I wish there were more days than only Thanksgiving where we considered NOT jumping and judging others.

Thanks for this lovely reminder!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2011

My apologies for those I've had a part in.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 22, 2011

I think that we have to consider the "tone" of what we are writing. When we write a perfectly simple post, our intentions are 99% good. But sometimes, the "tone" of our messages can be misread and then, misinterpreted. I think that I begin most of my posts now with.... I know that this may not be the most popular of opinions... and I TRY to always say that each poster should have an opinion that is valid and should be considered... But in all honesty posts can be misinterpreted. Sometimes I do feel like I have to DUCK when I post a comment. And I cannot tell you how many times I go back and reread my posts to see if they can be misinterpreted. I know will keep trying.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING. And let's just keep trying to keep it positive 'round here folks!

13. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 22, 2011

Your wish is our command. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

Massive group hug for the whole channel and purrs from the peegs!

15. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 22, 2011

Lovely post :)

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

Awwww: peeg purrs!

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2011

Great reminder... :)

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

Et gratias vobis, amica.

(Oh, dear. I've forgotten more Latin even than I feared.)

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 22, 2011

TG - great post :)

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2011

Better yet, I think I shall step away not for a few minutes or couple hours but for the holiday. See how I feel after a little break.

If you celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope the holiday is a lovely one. Enjoy some Tofurkey! :)

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 22, 2011

I was thinking last night that indeed some Pink Time. That's what my friend calls alone time or time to socialize among other women. I guessed could call theirs Blue Time but that doesn't seem to have the same peppy ring.

I actually received free massage certificates a month ago from a friend and I have yet to find a day to do it. That tells me my life has been crazy busy and I need some slow down time. I welcome this holiday weekend. Then I want to get a massage and pedicure. I need to return to zen like state.

In this busy holiday month coming up, I think it is going to be important to remember to find ways to take care of ourselves. Yet I know I wouldn't trade it because it is a time of smiles and hopes.

Good reminder TG.

22. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2011

My Thanksgiving request is for my Texas Longhorns to kick the Aggies butt ........ and that my smoked beef brisket and turkey please everyone .......

Peace to everyone at atoz .... and God bless our armed forces here and over there ....:):)

23. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 22, 2011

I'm so glad that this was posted! I can't believe how many individuals read every tiny word of a post and want to argue over every little detail! I've even been thinking of not posting at all anymore because people that I don't know can easily misunderstand posts and just end up turning everything into an argument. The last thing that I need is to feel stress over someone's opinion whom I don't even know! Thank you so much for reminding everyone!

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 22, 2011

One day Major, I will learn how to make brisket. I've decided in the next week I'm going to make my first set of ribs. I'm obviously lacking in the manly meat area.

I decided this morning to go outside and sit on the beach. Then I took a leisurely stroll around the block. Now I'm sitting with a bowl of potatoes out on my balcony watching a few people swim in NOVEMBER and revealing in the incredulous of it all. The tide is a bit too low this morning. That shall probably remain until the summer season again.

My husband built me a platform/deck for my balcony last weekend. I can now SIT and see over the wall. What better time than now to enjoy that. Sometimes we need a reminder to enjoy life around us. Like I said, that's my signal I need to carve out some pink time.

So Major--are you sharing?

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

I hope this time of thankfulness lasts us all for the many months to come!!

Now it's time to go get started on the yeast rolls, chicken doovers, and gooey butter cookies for our pre-Thanksgiving gorge fest. (You must properly stretch the stomach a true Thanksgiving feast! ;))

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 22, 2011

TG, thank you for posting. I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving.

27. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2011

You share the beach, CNG ........ and I'll smoke the brisket....:)

28. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 22, 2011

Please set an extra plate for me! I've been meaning to visit Louisiana... lol.

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

My pumpkin pie just came out of the oven. It won't last until Thanksgiving, but that's ok. Life's short; eat dessert first! Enjoy yourselves. Be kind to one another.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

(sniffing hopefully eastward)

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 22, 2011

Ahhhh. So lovely to read. Someday, TG, I hope to be able to craft words as lovely as you. I mean that sincerely.

If you don't mind, I'd like to copy and paste that, and change the 'before you posts' to 'before you speak/act/write/move', and post it in our teacher's lounge, and maybe even give it to a few students!

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

You're welcome to it, kc. Make sure you recast the more specific bits to suit your teachers.

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

Sure! There's always room for another! :D

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2011

Okay, my mind just went somewhere I know you did not intend...sorry...but it did make me laugh....:lol:

35. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2011

Funny Tami ....... I've never had any complaints about my brisket. .........:lol::lol:

36. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 22, 2011

TG, you are awesome! Thanks for the gentle reminder that hopefully we are all here to help each other grow and share!

37. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 22, 2011

LMBO! Now that I know what YOU are thinking, I'm laughing too.

38. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 23, 2011

Thank you for the gentle reminder. I don't post on her as often as others, but I have gotten so much advice and comfort from my atoz friends.
    May you all have a blessed Thanksgiving!

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2011

Ah, refreshed after the holiday...feeling calmer and less irritated :)