Thanksgiving Ideas!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sophie1, Nov 10, 2007.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Nov 10, 2007

I thought about doing a thanksgiving dinner for my students.. but we have too many medical issues with a few students. What is a special idea for Thanksgiving?

3. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Nov 10, 2007

I did see something on the internet about teaching the students a lesson on nutrition and then letting them plan a balanced Thanksgiving Dinner using the food groups. I mean, they would learn an important skill and talk about different Thanksgiving foods, also...I mean, it's not the same as a real dinner, but it's an idea.

4. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Nov 10, 2007

That is a good idea! Thank you:cool:

5. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Nov 13, 2007

Have the kids list different foods they have had for Thanksgiving, or would like to have. (Several different vegetables and desserts, different turkey stuffings, etc.) and perhaps they could draw pictures of the foods they list. Then discuss where these foods came from, New World/Old World. The corn in cornbread stuffing is New World, as are the potatoes, and sweet potatoes and the turkey itself. Wheat, lettuce, and onions are Old World, while cranberries were eaten in the northern parts of both hemispheres. There are a lot more foods that could be discussed.

6. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Nov 13, 2007

I once did the balanced food groups meal ideas. I went to the grocery store and got a bunch of extra circulars and the kids cut out pictures of their balanced meals and glues it to a paper plate.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2007

we are doing a reader' theatre I found online at education world... and I am going to have them write a story where they are a turkey, and they have to convince someone not to eat them.

8. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Nov 18, 2007

We did this last Friday in our class. Got a bunch of HILARIOUS responses too. One of the girls wrote that her turkey was pregnant and that is why we couldn't eat it. :lol:

I love it!!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 18, 2007

We are going to make corn chowder in a crockpot in our room.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2007

Saw the cutest thing today at a bake sale... Cover a marshmallow in melted chocolate, stick it on top of one of those fudge stripe cookies, but turn the cookie upside down so the all-choc side is up. It looks like a pilgrim hat. Make a little yellow buckle out of yellow frosting or candy melts.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 18, 2007

When I was in third grade I read them "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" (with A. Wolf) then we wrote the true story of Thanksgiving by A. Turkey. Very cute.

Maybe too advanced for 2nd but use newspapers to budget a dinner. Double a (simple) recipe.

Make placemats.

These are just some things I have seen other teachers do.