Thanksgiving ideas without turkeys

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kidsalot, Nov 11, 2006.

1. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Nov 11, 2006

I am currently teaching a unit on Thanksgiving. Because I have children in my room who are vegetarians(sp?) and/or don't celebrate Thanksgiving I am avoiding the whole turkey craft thing. I am looking to supplement what they are learning about the pilgrims and native americans with some fun activities. So far we have planted indian corn (with fish!) and made Mayflowers. I plan on making butter and cranberry sauce as well as a story bracelet I found online. Any more ideas? Thanks!:)

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 11, 2006

Cut a corn cob pattern out of graph paper or use the entire sheet and cut the corn shape out after. Have the students use their fingers to create indian corn using different paint colors or ink pads--dip their finger in red, yellow, or brown, and put one finger print in each box of the paper. Help them switch colors as needed, modeling after actual indian corn. We cut husk shapes out of brown paper and assembled the entire thing on black construction paper.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

5. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

They could make fall trees and write things they are thankful for on the different colored leaves. Would you share your story bracelet idea that you found?

6. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

Nevermind....I just saw another thread on the story bracelets. Oops!

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 11, 2006

8. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Nov 17, 2006

This might be a little late, but we do a Pilgrim Day and a Native American Day. I've done with preschoolers through 2nd graders and it's a huge success. I usually have parent helpers come in to help with the rotations. We usually do 6 rotations through classrooms, but you could also do this in your own room with parents (I simplify it for my preschoolers and only do three activities).

On Pilgrim Day, we discuss what the pilgrims clothes looked like (Sarah Morton's Day is a fabulous book; they also have one for boys and for "Indians.") Then the kids get to make their own hats to wear. We also make butter and Indian fry bread (a roll that they flatten and then you can either fry it or bake it). We play pilgrim games. In the past, I've also had the kids do basic sewing (they make pouches to wear) and candle making.

On Native American Day, we make Indian headdresses and talk about what each feather means. We do activities with corn and eat corn muffins. We talk about loom weaving and have the kids weave a placemat out of paper. We discuss how pottery is made and string necklaces out of clay beads (previously made and dried). In the past, we done storytelling and masks.

I make this all very meaningful and explain the purpose for everything (I've done a lot of research to make sure I have the correct facts) and how it would have been back then. They love it and learn so much!

9. herins

herins Companion

Nov 22, 2006

Ha ha. I wish this thread had been around for Canadian Thanksgiving. I struggle with the Turkey theme every year, not because of my students, but because I am vegetarian. This year I was lazy and did a (gasp) turkey craft. I also don't like when we get to "what we use animals for" in our needs of animals unit!