Thanksgiving Day Parade

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2008

Presumably I'm talking mostly to those of you from the metro NYC area:

How many people have gone into NYC for the Parade?

I haven't since college, but I'll always remember it fondly. TV simply doesn't do it justice-- it's a remarkable experience!!! All the people, dressed like Eskimos, but ALL HAPPY and excited.

The music, the bands, the floats-- and those immense balloons, floating by overhead.

It's an experience to be savored. Words simply don't do it justice. But everyone should get to experience it once in his or her lifetime!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 16, 2008

Oh I so wish I could go. As a child I so looked forward to watching it on TV and I always wanted to go there to really experience it.

Last year was the first year my kids took any interest in it. Even then, it was very little interest.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2008

I've got to tell you, it's usually COLD!! And, while hot chocolate helps-- what goes in must come out, which causes other problems.

But it's worth it.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2008

I have a friend that goes in the day before - her brother lives near where they blow up the floats so they see them then and then go home to watch on TV...I'm not into the crowds and I'm cooking like a mad woman for the in-laws...a whole houseful of them...:dizzy:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2008

That's supposed to be a BLAST!!!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 16, 2008

My brother is waiting until his daughter is old enough to really remember the experience before taking her. They're within walking distance of the parade but are spending it safely indoors with my parents.

8. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Nov 16, 2008

My mom just called and asked if my fiance and I would like to go with them this year. The three oldest of us kids have been before, but the two youngest haven't. Just like my experience with New Year's Eve in Times Square, I'm glad I went once for the experience, but I have no desire to go again.

I'll probably go though, for the family bonding more than the actual parade.

9. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

I heard its a nice time and a great parade but I haven't the guts to stand out there in the cold.